NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Training camp/pre-season!

[QUOTE]CORBIN ON FOYE

[QUOTE]INSIDER

"I thought I was pretty familiar with (the Jazz offensive sets)," Foye said. "But going through it and its different calls, I thought it was just one thing but it's like eight different things out of one play. I'm close, but it's just the third or fourth day of practice, so I still need some more time. I'm working on it, but I'm a pretty bright guy so I think I should pick it up."
    Sounds like they're getting away from the iso Al/Devin offense and back to the flex!

http://www.slcdunk.com/2012/10/6/346...crimmage-recap

Burks playing the 1 and involving his teammates is nice to hear. That was his biggest weakness I thought last year. He played too much like Devin. Just put his head down and barreled to the hole 1 on 5 or pulled up.

Also Enes shooting jumpers and passing out of the post. Deal Al now!

Quinn could be an option if they can unload Watson. I'm sure he wouldn't bitch and moan at the end of the bench anyway.

From the trib: [QUOTE]Kanter made headlines for his massive weight loss and new body heading into training camp. His frame, now down to 240 pounds, also raised questions about his strength on the interior and ability to bang in the paint.

He put some of those questions to rest on Saturday. Kanter posted up and made shots. He showed much more lift and explosion than he had during his rookie season. He ran the floor for easy dunks, lending validity to the rumors of him standing out during training camp this week.

"He

Warriors coach Mark Jackson said he's considering sitting out point guard Stephen Curry for one of the first two preseason games. Golden State opens the exhibition schedule with a back-to-back set, Sunday vs. the Lakers in Fresno and Monday vs. Utah in Oakland. Jackson is concerned about working Curry's oft-injured right ankle too hard too soon. "I'm going to think about it, talk to Steph about it," Jackson said, "and make the right decision as far as that's concerned. I really don't want to work him on back-to-back nights." Contra Costa Times
    The tanking is getting started early this year.

Another view of the scrimmage:

[QUOTE]Kanter really stole the show, both before and during the game. He acted as MC for part of the time and showed off his dance moves this year. He

and another:

[QUOTE]Hayward, Marvin, Burks, and Carrol all hit the floor hard at various times (Carroll even dived into the bench after a loose ball).
    Highlights for me:
    *Kanter is a behemoth, and can dunk in traffic, set pics, and score off the roll. Extremely physical player, once he lowers his shoulder he is unstoppable. Made plays above the rim. Can run and jump much better.Definitely saw his mid-range jumper come out. Hits most his free throws. Gorgeous stroke.

*Randy Foye can play point guard. Even had a nice crossover. He can create his own shot, pass, distribute and even blocked a shot. I did not know Foye was this good! More importantly, he nailed some three pointers.

*Marvin Williams is extremely athletic, and extremely long. Blocked shots, made some alley-oops, hit some mid range jumpers. Excellent passer. Gets teammates involved.

*Kevin Murphy was the best shooter on the floor. Hit 3-4 three pointers, nothing but net (toe was on the line once or twice. Made two buzzer beater threes (almost, the second one was after the clock expired). Made a mid range shot and a floater. I was extremely impressed. KOC is really a genius

and on to the pre-season games! :

[QUOTE]Veterans Al Jefferson and Mo Williams are expected to play in the Jazz

[QUOTE]Gordon Hayward shot confidently from the outside, and his teammates followed
    suit. Kevin Murphy, Alec Burks, Randy Foye, even Trey Gilder, they all fired at
    will.
    It was the kind of perimeter shooting performance Jazz
    fans could only dream about last season.

ul#Gallery { list-style:none; margin-bottom:10px; } ul#Gallery li { float:left; margin:0px 7px 7px 0px; width:55px; height:55px; overflow:hidden; background-color:#000; } .ps-toolbar-top { text-align:center; } .ps-toolbar-close, div.ps-toolbar-previous, div.ps-toolbar-next, div.ps-toolbar-play { display:block !important; float:right; } .ps-toolbar { overflow:visible !important; } .ps-caption { height:59px !important; } .ps-socialtools { float:left; padding:7px 0px 0px 6px; } .ps-socialtools span { float:left; margin-right:2px; } .ps-ad { width:160px; height:600px; position:absolute; right:0px; z-index:1000; opacity:1.0; filter:alpha(opacity=100); } .ps-triblogo { padding-right:10px; position:relative; z-index:999999; padding-top:1px; } Too bad no official statistics were kept in Saturday

[QUOTE]Corbin hasn't revealed which five he'll start, but expected starters Mo Williams (point guard) and Al Jefferson (center) are likely to play after sitting out Saturday's open scrimmage with minor injuries.

"I don't miss games if I can help it. I will most definitely go," Jefferson said at Sunday's practice after revealing he'd slightly hurt his groin. "I wanted to go (Saturday) night, but Coach tells me to do it easy."

Without going into detail, Corbin hinted that he might experiment with player combinations. He wants to see what rotations mesh best.

Marvin Williams and Gordon Hayward have spent most of the camp playing on the same team in scrimmages, so that could offer insight into a possible pairing at the wing spots.

Corbin has raved about Paul Millsap, from his leadership to his fitness level, so it's quite possible the coach will keep the longest-tenured Jazz player as a starter and bring Derrick Favors off the bench.

Then again, the way Corbin has been reluctant to name starters, he could play some mix-and-match throughout the preseason to evaluate on-court chemistry.

Corbin has an "idea" (top secret, of course) about how he plans to distribute minutes tonight. The main players will get some action, but not too much.

"You want to see the other guys and how they mix in with different match-ups," Corbin said. "Can they come off the bench and give you this? Or what group will give you a faster lineup or a defensive lineup?"

The Jazz have until their Halloween season-opener

For now, veteran Jamaal Tinsley is the clear No. 2 point guard. Earl Watson, Harris' backup for most of last season, continues to rehab his surgically repaired knee, so he's been unable to fully participate in camp and won't play tonight at Golden State.

On Saturday, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin showed he has more options. For a while during the scrimmage, newcomer Randy Foye and second-year guard Alec Burks both saw time at the point.

It could be a preview of things to come at some point in the season. Just in case, Corbin wants both shooting guards to feel comfortable running the offense. Foye, a combo guard, has plenty of NBA point-guard experience, and Burks, a good ballhandler, was put in the position a few times last year.

"It's a long, long season. Guys may get injured," Corbin said. "Plan in case you have to run those situations."

Chris Quinn, a roster long shot from Notre Dame, also played some point-guard minutes in the scrimmage.
    Sounds like it's Tinsley's job to lose right now at least til Earl comes back and starts whining again.

[QUOTE]With the additions of Mo Williams and Marvin Williams, the Jazz are likely to showcase a more fluid, athletic brand of basketball.

"Hopefully we

In the small sample of the preseason opener, Williams was the kind of veteran player the Jazz hoped they found when they acquired Devin Harris as part of the Deron Williams trade in 2010. Where the Utah offense was often plodding and repetitive for a season-and-a-half with Harris, it was interesting and fast-paced Monday night in front of an announced 14,571 at Oracle Arena, although, thanks to clumsy plays and miscommunications, it often resulted in turnovers (the Jazz had 18) rather than baskets.
    Also talk of pick and rolls. Sounds like the Jazz offense of old might be back!