Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LaMarcus Aldridge Is A Diva

[QUOTE]By Jason Quick | The Oregonian/OregonLive

It was the 2015 playoffs, Memphis, and the Trail Blazers' bus was idling in front of the team hotel. A steady stream of players, coaches and support staff had boarded for the past 20 minutes, yet for the last five minutes, nary a soul had approached the steps.

Still, the bus remained idling. Brake lights glowing. Engine chortling. Exhaust billowing toward Beale Street.

And it remained idling ... and idling ... and idling ... for a good five minutes.

Finally, the brake lights relented. The driver spotted what he was waiting on: From the hotel, LaMarcus Aldridge emerged, giant headphones over his ears. When he boarded, the bus immediately went into gear and headed toward the arena.

What struck me when I watched that scene, and what I've thought about often since then, is this: I wonder what Damian Lillard was thinking as he waited on that bus?

And later, as Lillard flew home with his teammates from Memphis, I wonder what he thought when he looked and discovered that Aldridge had taken his own flight home the night prior?

Those thoughts bring us back to today: July 4, 2015, a day that will stand for many things in Blazers history. It's the day Aldridge left for the San Antonio Spurs. The day the franchise became Lillard's. The first day of yet another rebuild.

But it will also mark one of the biggest organizational exhales ever.

See, inside the Trail Blazers, there is a collective sigh of relief knowing Aldridge is not returning.

Don't get me wrong: Everybody wanted him back in Portland; his talent made the Blazers a better team.

But from the front office to the marketing department to the game-day support staff, there was a general exhaustion with Aldridge. Massaging an ego so often, for so many years, can take its toll.

If there was a nick, a bump, or a bruise, Aldridge always wanted an MRI, prompting one former staffer to quip it was a good thing owner Paul Allen was rich enough to cover the frequent expense.

Until this season, when he postponed a surgery on his non-shooting hand to help the Blazers make a playoff push, Aldridge was constantly looking for a reason to sit out games, particularly if it was after his status as an All-Star had been cemented that season.

He could be a sweet guy. He bought a luxury suite at the Moda Center for the kids at the St. Mary's Home for Boys. And he periodically surprised employees with gifts.

But he was so bitter about perceived slights that happened nine years ago

Rich Manning is my dad Vancouver-Grizz's Avatar

Default Re: LaMarcus Aldridge Is A Diva

Take the high road Portland....

Don't be Pat Riley or Dan Gilbert in these situation....its a lose lose.

NBA lottery pick

Still got nothing on LeBron.

Meh...

For 9 or whatever years, we haven't heard a single peep about LMA being a Prima Donna of any sort. He takes his talents elsewhere and all of sudden he's the worst thing the city has seen since the Jailblazers Typical media robot attempting to capitalize on a gaping opportunity.
    Last edited by Done_And_Done; 07-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    Still got nothing on LeBron.

OP is not even a LeBron fan. He's another account of FlashDwyane3 who's a Kobe fan in disguise.

At least he didnt make The Decision LOL

NBA lottery pick

Lol at the writer. He clowns LMA and praises Lillard's "leadership" when dude was writing poems crying about not making the all-star team

Lillard doesn't care about making sure everybody knows he's a star?

Is that why he bitched and moaned his way onto the all-star team?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
    Meh...

For 9 or whatever years, we haven't heard a single peep about LMA being a Prima Donna of any sort. He takes his talents elsewhere and all of sudden he's the worst thing the city has seen since the Jailblazers Typical media robot attempting to capitalize on a gaping opportunity.
    I actually remember another article, also by Quick I believe, written after we had to amnesty Brandon Roy. He had an interview with LMA where he said something like "people forget that I was the number two pick in that draft."

It's been happening for a while. Beat writers aren't in the business of running down players on the current roster, however.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

If the bus incident is the best example the writer could talk about then in no way was LA a diva..

He's just upset LA left. Plain and simple. LA might have a sensitive ego but I don't believe it is bad enough to warrant a "sigh of relief" that he's not back.

Sounds like a writer trying to take advantage of a Star player leaving, blowing up some very minor incidents to try to stir up some clicks for his article. Writer sounds like a pretentious whiny bitch, probably holds some kind of a grudge against LMA for some perceived slight over the years. Sounds more like HIS interpretation of what LMA was all about, not what everyone in the Blazers organization thought. Nothing to see here but a bitter writer hunting for clicks IMO.
    Last edited by RIP CITY; 07-04-2015 at 05:11 PM.

99% of players in the nba are divas

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

The Blazers are going absolutely nowhere as long as Damian Lillard is their franchise player.

Portland brass must be mega butthurt if they are going to start trashing LA in the media with leaks like this.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    Portland brass must be mega butthurt if they are going to start trashing LA in the media with leaks like this.
    Jason Quick has been the Blazers beat writer for years. This isn't a hit piece. He wrote all kinds of exposes after players left the team. Damon Stoudemire, Ruben Patterson, Zach Randolph, etc. nothing he said was untruthful.