Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

I am going to have a open mind about this and we will see
    Me too, repped. I think this will be fun. I bet half the people crying the Lakers didn't hire Jackson use to bitch and moan about Phil when he was head coach. I got sick of watching them underachieve that final season, no motivation no effort, swept by the Mavs while I yelled at Phil to get off his ass and coach somebody, anybody. Rookies never getting burn.

Time for some new blood a new way of Lakers basketball.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Phil DID ask for this on his last contract with the Lakers, that is where this came from a fact that was well known and I commented on it a couple months ago in a thread, it was assumed that he would ask for the same thing. It was not made up out of thin air.
    Now did he ask for this again.......probably so but not to the point that negotiations should've been cut off. My guess is that Jimmy got drunk and/or pissed off at Jeanie and did the deal in the middle of the night.....why else would he do it at that hour, it's not like anyone was after 'Antoni.
    It's the only thing that makes sense because the coach can't even be there for over a week
    something i said in the other thread.... it kind of seems like a rush to judgement for coach. they won a couple games it didnt have to be that exact min. if they gave phil until monday i dont get why not wait let that pass. i am not even trying to say it was a wrong move just wrong timing. same thing when brown got hired they were talking to several people. i believe there was others that were going to come in to interview. brown comes in and basically walks out with the job. it seems as if there is no thought process any more. no longer calculated but rash decisions.

Local High School Star

have the Lakers ever changed their coach twice in one season?

Last edited by L.A. Jazz; 11-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    have the Lakers ever changed their coach twice in one season?

Oh....and it's not done yet.....just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
    something i said in the other thread.... it kind of seems like a rush to judgement for coach. they won a couple games it didnt have to be that exact min. if they gave phil until monday i dont get why not wait let that pass. i am not even trying to say it was a wrong move just wrong timing. same thing when brown got hired they were talking to several people. i believe there was others that were going to come in to interview. brown comes in and basically walks out with the job. it seems as if there is no thought process any more. no longer calculated but rash decisions.
    Jimmy is a spoiled brat, always has been, this is typical for him.
    None of this would've happened if Jerry or Jeanie was fully in control.

NBA lottery pick

Oh....and it's not done yet.....just wait.
    I would highly doubt that D'antoni doesn't make it through the season. He typically puts up a good regular season record, so I don't think the red flags will even really be noticed until the playoffs. Plus the Lakers aren't going to want to pay 3 head coaches at the same time. They're already paying Brown, if they fired D'antoni they would need to pay him too, plus whoever else they would hire. I think unfortunately we're stuck with D'antoni for the long haul.....

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Me too, repped. I think this will be fun. I bet half the people crying the Lakers didn't hire Jackson use to bitch and moan about Phil when he was head coach. I got sick of watching them underachieve that final season, no motivation no effort, swept by the Mavs while I yelled at Phil to get off his ass and coach somebody, anybody. Rookies never getting burn.

thanks Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I would highly doubt that D'antoni doesn't make it through the season. He typically puts up a good regular season record, so I don't think the red flags will even really be noticed until the playoffs. Plus the Lakers aren't going to want to pay 3 head coaches at the same time. They're already paying Brown, if they fired D'antoni they would need to pay him too, plus whoever else they would hire. I think unfortunately we're stuck with D'antoni for the long haul.....
    Oh.....I didn't mean THIS season, I meant next season.
    If it doesn't go well and the guys don't like his coaching + Dwight says change coaches or I'm gone......bye bye Mike part 2

Quote Originally Posted by daily

The problem I have is NOT with the fact they didn't sign Phil, it was with them hiring the worst available coach for the job.....even he was shocked.
    In addition the unprofessional procedure speaks volumes about Jimmy Buss.
    I wanted Adelman at the time they screwed up and signed Brown....not Phil.

NBA lottery pick

Oh.....I didn't mean THIS season, I meant next season.
    If it doesn't go well and the guys don't like his coaching + Dwight says change coaches or I'm gone......bye bye Mike part 2
    I could see a possible change midway through next season. They would need to do very bad in the playoffs this year and start out slow next year though. I'm not certain we'll see that happen yet. To me the one thing that might help this thing work is if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season. Kind of like what happened in NY with Woodson. I think McMillan would do a great job as head coach of this team. At least having him on as an assistant helps out and he & D'Antoni have worked together before. D'Antoni needs to get over his ego. Hopefully he learned that he needs to make his system work around the talent he has rather than making his players try to conform to his system.

I could see a possible change midway through next season. They would need to do very bad in the playoffs this year and start out slow next year though. I'm not certain we'll see that happen yet. To me the one thing that might help this thing work is if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season. Kind of like what happened in NY with Woodson. I think McMillan would do a great job as head coach of this team. At least having him on as an assistant helps out and he & D'Antoni have worked together before. D'Antoni needs to get over his ego. Hopefully he learned that he needs to make his system work around the talent he has rather than making his players try to conform to his system.
    Hmmm....that is interesting.....having McMillan take over as head coach, it may work out.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

How disrespectful and dismissive some of the people on this "fan" forum are of Phil. Heres a dude that took us to The Promised Land 5 out of 7 times. There should be no argument for D Antoni over Phil from Lakers fans. I didnt even have D Antoni in my personal discussion of prospects. For me it was Phil followed by a very far Jerry Sloan for second. Who cares about exciting? We aint gonna have Showtime cuz Showtime was Magic. We dont have Magic guys. Be real. All I care about is championships and Phil = Championships. Again, 5 out of 7 times to The Finals. Be real. What has D Antoni ultimately done? Just like Brown, another "coach that couldnt."

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

.. if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season.
    I think it's too easy to blame D'Antoni before he's given any shot at all....

I do like the idea of having McMillian take care of the defence... I would
    have been happy to have him as head coach...

But it might be a combination that works.... D'Antoni knows how to get
    Nash MVPs!! He's a smart guy. Let's see if he can create the results
    all Lakers fans want especially with this lineup!!

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Hmmm....that is interesting.....having McMillan take over as head coach, it may work out.
    You and I both like Nate McMillian.... but let's see if the combination of
    the two (one offense, one defense) can work.

As I said above, D'Antoni helped Nash get 2 MVPs, so he's pretty
    knowledgable. I can;t imagine this team not being great on the
    defensive end eventually... so D'Antoni is expected to get the offense
    humming. Let's give him a shot.

Okay it took a few days but I am finally here and ready to comment on the hiring of Mike D'antoni, and not the heavily anticipated Phil Jackson.

Before I officially give my opinion, I want to address all my points in bullets:

*Entertaining the return of Phil*

1) Phil Jackson's reported demands, which hadn't begun this season, but even when he was in his last stint with us, we're always going to be rebuked, rebuffed, and rejected by the lakers organization. A big salary is way too much for a coach who wasn't going to coach every single game. He also wanted to bring on Brian Shaw (who is already assisting in IND) and Scottie Pippen. More salaries to add to what they already have to pay for. Although Phil Jackson had come out to say that "He didn't make any of those demands". We never know if this is true. The loser will always come out swinging in his best interest. Lastly, Phil Jackson wanted to take a "few days" to decide whether he "really wanted in" or not. Its a scary thing to come across. What if he was motivated one day, and then not into it the next day? We've seen what an unmotivated Phil can do to a big important game. Losing against the pistons in the finals, he was definitely a factor. Losing against the mavs a couple seasons back...also a slight factor.

2) Jim Buss and Phil don't like each other. It is obvious. It was pointed out by Max yesterday on 710 ESPN, that Jimmy had always been jealous of the success by Phil Jackson. 11 championship rings in the NBA. Enough said. It seemed that by the request of front office decision making, Jimmy felt challenged by phil. I don't know what that situation is. There was no way those two would come back working together. Not now, and not in the future.

3) Now let us say that Phil is hired, and he is the laker coach now. Let's look at the biggest problem that happens here. The triangle offense comes back to town. This offense is similar to the principles of the princeton offense, the reason we fired Mike Brown. It involves equal sharing of all 5 players, renders our HOF point guard in Nash completely useless, and it takes a very long time to master and be comfortable with (at least 2 seasons). Ron Artest never grasped it, and was about to be in school once again with Nash and Dwight who also do not have any experience running this offense (Dwight in high school with Javaris crittenton but thats a completely different level and unrelated to Phil's triangle).
    [COLOR="Red"]Did we not all agree before that we didn't need a complex offense for the talent level of this team????[/COLOR] We agreed that we just needed Nash to run the show, sharing responsibilities with Kobe. Mike Brown overdid it and it cost him his job. Why should the addition of Phil Jackson to this team, with practically 75% new players, produce any different results? Phil is a great motivator. He brings the best out of his players and they are always playing hard whether they love phil or hate him. That is true.
    But this team now has all possible talent, and leadership on the court to win a championship. Do we absolutely need the triangle? Absolutely not.

*What the addition of D'antoni brings*

1) Show time style basketball looks like it can return to LA. Watching all superstars on the team play selflessly, with each one contributing all what they can give to win the championship. We will probably see the most efficient offensive team in the league this season and next. Nash will be absolutely comfortable, and at his age, he doesn't need to look to dominate a game. Rather than he can play freely, and dish to whoever is in great position to put the ball in the hoop. This move will also [COLOR="red"]greatly improve the play of the bench[/COLOR] who has been a disappointment every year. Watch Jamison getting more open shots. Meeks getting more shots. Darius Morris using his quickness to thrive in this offense. Offensively, I think we can all agree that we will be happy in this department

2) Defensively a lot of people are questioning how this team will perform. I know what people say "Haha he's a crappy defensive coach"...."Haha D'antoni doesn't even preach defense".....and my most favorite one "He should be called Antoni...not D'antoni"...I've heard it all.
    What people don't realize is the tempo of the phoenix suns team is what created big scores. You can't expect the phoenix suns, coached by d'antoni, to score 120-130 points....and then hold the opposing team to under 90. It's unreal, and can only be witnessed in the olympics. I understand that their defense was not above average. It may not have been average. But lets look at the players on the team. Diaw, Nash, Amare....do any of those guys play defense? No not at all! We have Ron Artest who will continue to guard the best perimeter, and sometimes even post player on the opposing team. We have Dwight Howard, who by the way, will probably average more rebounds and blocked shots because of the amount of possessions each game. We have Kobe, who has proven he can be the best perimeter defender in the league. All we have to worry about is Nash. But when Nash sits, we got Blake, Morris, Duhon. All those guys are spectacular when it comes to defending other guards. Look who might come to town to help him defensively as well....Nate McMillan. Everyone wanted that guy to come here to be a head coach! If those two work well together, we might be able to pull of a ring for Kobe this year, next year, and hell...maybe even the year after.

3) The last point I would like to make is that D'antoni has the respect of Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and everyone else who knows his reputation. Mike Brown was never respected. Lets face it. He had a finals appearance, but D'antoni had a phoenix suns basketball team that was very successful for a long time. Even in New York, when D'antoni had point guards that performed well, they won the game. Look at what Jeremy Lin did? Look at what Duhon did for him in half a season?

I hope these guys come together, and provide what can possibly be the funnest, and most exciting team to watch since the 04 new look lakers...

and glory be to God forever Amen.