Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default how much support did you receive from your parents?

financial or otherwise?

i've probably sucked in about $5000 in the past eight years since graduating highschool

(and that's not including the fund my grandfather created for me worth about $15k)

rank sentamentalist

Default Re: how much support did you receive from your parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Funds?

Man, I wish I had white (grand)parents.
    it's really ****ing great lol

i've fallen into holes more times than i can count and without it... well i'd like to think i'd have clawed my way out from under. but i got nothing to support that.

if it makes you feel better, i don't have any grandparents left

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Funds?

Man, I wish I had white (grand)parents.
    Right?

If we're talking post high school / 18th birthday, then none.

rank sentamentalist

damn yall are some independent ******

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Endless.

I was a fvckup when younger, was a late-bloomer, and sometimes wish my parents would have beaten the cr@p out of me...

In any case, they've always supported me both emotionally and financially...even to the extent of buying me a house in my early 30's when I was struggling financially. (I'm still gradually paying them back, but at only a 2% interest rate...)

I guess I'm blessed, and I do my best to remind them often of how thankful I am. Sometimes I feel shame/guilt for having had to rely on them so much.

I wasn't left anything by the grandparents, other than many fond memories.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.

I'm Filipino so it's pretty much all or nothing. I went the nothing route and built my legacy on my own

NBA rookie of the year

To me embarrassment probably more than anybody here.
    I went to school paid for by my parents. I work in the field that my dad does and although my current job didn't come from him, his recommendation was why i got my entry into the field.

Also I bought 31 units in an townhouse/apartment complex of which the majority of the funding came from a "loan" from my dad. I invested all of my savings and cash, and borrowed from banks as much as I could but i needed the money from my dad to close the deal

Also had help buy my house in texas from my parents (which I rent out now) and instead of paying my parents back I bought a property on auction.com which I rent out now. That money came in large part from the other rental properties and various mortgages, but not paying back my parents allowed me to buy it.

I owe an embarrassing amount of money to my dad.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    To me embarrassment probably more than anybody here.
    I went to school paid for by my parents. I work in the field that my dad does and although my current job didn't come from him, his recommendation was why i got my entry into the field.

Also I bought 31 units in an townhouse/apartment complex of which the majority of the funding came from a "loan" from my dad. I invested all of my savings and cash, and borrowed from banks as much as I could but i needed the money from my dad to close the deal

Also had help buy my house in texas from my parents (which I rent out now) and instead of paying my parents back I bought a property on auction.com which I rent out now. That money came in large part from the other rental properties and various mortgages, but not paying back my parents allowed me to buy it.

I owe an embarrassing amount of money to my dad.
    nothing to feel embarrassed about imo as long as you're independent now. it's not like its going to stop with you. pay it forward and all that crap, to your kid or whoever else you see who went through the same shit you did.

Got me through the first 3 years of the university, since the final year ive been on my own, so probably the equivalent of 8-9k $

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    nothing to feel embarrassed about imo as long as you're independent now. it's not like its going to stop with you. pay it forward and all that crap, to your kid or whoever else you see who went through the same shit you did.
    well it really depends on how you define independant.

If you ignore that I pay zero interest to my dad and zero of the principle money back to him, than yes I can meet my interest payments and other bills to banks and etc, off my salary and rental incomes.

But I dont really consider myself independent. Anyone that has burrowed as much money as I have really has no right to claim independence.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

If parents don't want to help their kids, they shouldn't have any.

Some people just aren't successful human beings, like myself. My mother supported me financially all through my 20s, with the exception of times when I had a job. (I have never had a job longer than 6 months)

Now i'm 32 and on social security for depression, so my mother doesn't have to support me anymore.

rank sentamentalist

If parents don't want to help their kids, they shouldn't have any.
    true. that.

now we just have to figure out what help means.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    financial or otherwise?

i've probably sucked in about $5000 in the past eight years since graduating highschool

(and that's not including the fund my grandfather created for me worth about $15k)
    I wish I had 'funds' created for me. 15K would go a LONG way towards reaching my professional goals.

You think you can let me hold about tree fiddy?

Banned

I lived with them until 21 when I bought my house. They've never given money for things but my dad has built my front and back yard including a pergola. I helped of course but he did most of the work and actually knew what he was doing. My parents help alot just not financially (I make more money than they do)

They paid for my associates degree. So far I've raised $2 thousand in the past few months. I just got a job so my first month I should be here for a few months to a year enough to save up for a ba or a car.

they don't ask for rent or bills I'm going to save up a lot more.