Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #76
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Lol, I love when the Beatnik asked Don how he slept at night.

And Don fires back, "On a bed made of money!"

And when he asked Don about Broadway being the birthplace of mediocrity and Don said, "it may be the birthplace but I think it was conceived right here."
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #77
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
And when he asked Don about Broadway being the birthplace of mediocrity and Don said, "it may be the birthplace but I think it was conceived right here."

Loved the ending of that episode, those two calls were great.
I actually enjoyed the last episode, not as good as some of the others this season but still very good.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #78
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

well i guess the don/megan thing was a few episodes coming. still i was surprised at how much she pushed it instead of don being the instigator.

and i really had to shake my head at don for maybe the first time ever. not with the falling back into drinking and cheating, but with asking faye to help him with accounts. that was just tough to watch, because don has made very few professional missteps to this point, and that was just .

roger's falling hard and fast, and that's hard to watch as well. but bert was right about him not taking himself seriously. it's why he's so lovable but it's also his tragic flaw.

just saw this one. i had no internet and only basic cable for the past week, so i was dying. i'll probably be back after i watch it again.

---

oh and menken is the hottest girl he's been with. she was pure class and i wish they didn't marry her off in season 2. i don't know quite what it is about her but she's the total package. i liked the teacher as well.

also agree with the sentiment that season 1 is one of the best tv series ever. it's definitely my favorite.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #79
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Great episode. The scene with Betty and the psychiatrist really epitomizes here character. She's simply a child and Sally displays more maturity and understanding than Betty does even though she's the child.

Looks like Don paid off his debt to Pete. It seems like they've really built a pretty strong bond through this season. Considering they are the only two real assets to the company they'd probably be better off just fending for themselves.

Dons letter was a pretty rash decision but I think it was probably the best thing to do. Otherwise, the agency would probably just rot or at best delay the inevitable. The letter gave the company some positive buzz and, most importantly, distinguishes them from their competitiors. Maybe the morality associated with the letter will bring in business. It was a ballsy move but its better than sitting around and cutting cost while they lose business and fail to bring it in till bankruptcy. I wonder if Bert is really done with the company tho.

Also, the Midge sighting caught me off guard. Can't say im surprised by the path her life has taken.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #80
DirtBag
Hello!

Really liked this episode and I'm not sure why. Everything about it had me at the edge waiting for the next scene. Damn I wish this show was on 7 days a week. Oh well, I'll be waiting eagerly to find out what is going to happen next Sunday.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #81
Black Joker
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Great episode. The scene with Betty and the psychiatrist really epitomizes here character. She's simply a child and Sally displays more maturity and understanding than Betty does even though she's the child.

Looks like Don paid off his debt to Pete. It seems like they've really built a pretty strong bond through this season. Considering they are the only two real assets to the company they'd probably be better off just fending for themselves.

Dons letter was a pretty rash decision but I think it was probably the best thing to do. Otherwise, the agency would probably just rot or at best delay the inevitable. The letter gave the company some positive buzz and, most importantly, distinguishes them from their competitiors. Maybe the morality associated with the letter will bring in business. It was a ballsy move but its better than sitting around and cutting cost while they lose business and fail to bring it in till bankruptcy. I wonder if Bert is really done with the company tho.

Also, the Midge sighting caught me off guard. Can't say im surprised by the path her life has taken.
+1

hopefully Bert isn't gone, although he seemed more pissed about the fact that Don only put his name on the letter, rather than the letter itself, so he might be persuaded to stay.

and i can't wait for the season finale next week
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #82
DirtBag
Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
+1

hopefully Bert isn't gone, although he seemed more pissed about the fact that Don only put his name on the letter, rather than the letter itself, so he might be persuaded to stay.

and i can't wait for the season finale next week

NO!!!!! When will the new season start?!?! Damn the world for being so fast paced and making me so impatient, I need more now!!
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #83
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

That episode seemed pretty scattershot, despite all the scenes tying in thematically with addiction and quitting. A couple of moments turned me in the last few minutes.

1) when Don and Peggy had their "i thought you didn't go for these kinds of shenanigans" joke/moment of mutual respect.

2) when Don threw in Pete's stake. I'm glad they didn't go the route of Pete using his information over don to blackmail him again. Pete has grown and is easily the most stable partner, and possibly even the most productive, even though you can't really compare accounts to creative.

I saw Rosemarie DeWitt's name in the credits, and couldn't remember if she played Midge or Menken. i had my fingers crossed for the latter, but Midge had a significant turn and her decline was very believable.

I did expect the episode to kick it up a notch since it's the next to last, but I guess the loss of american aviation and lucky strike has served as a pretty nerve-racking central conflict in the last 3 episodes.

Sally and Betty's storyline has been good for the most part, but with Betty deciding to move it shouldn't be picked up again until next season. I hope the finale is, like last year, purely an office scramble to save the company.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #84
Gunnin4HoLeS
IsH Villain

Just got on this show about 2 weeks ago and just finished SEASON 1 .. by far the CAROUSEL SCENE is the best scene of season 1.. cant wait to see what SEASON 2 and what it brings... am I in for a good one?
Gunnin4HoLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #85
Black Joker
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnin4HoLeS
Just got on this show about 2 weeks ago and just finished SEASON 1 .. by far the CAROUSEL SCENE is the best scene of season 1.. cant wait to see what SEASON 2 and what it brings... am I in for a good one?

the remaining seasons don't disappoint
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #86
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Hey, would anyone be interested in buying a copy of Sterling's Gold if it ever came out?

I know I would. Hell, if John Slattery read it himself, I'd buy the audiobook too.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #87
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Hey, would anyone be interested in buying a copy of Sterling's Gold if it ever came out?

I know I would. Hell, if John Slattery read it himself, I'd buy the audiobook too.

I certaintly would.
The audiobook would be great if Sterling read it.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #88
Ass Dan
LOL Maker, Intraweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
I certaintly would.
The audiobook would be great if Sterling read it.

For a few minutes, but half the humor would be how pathetically written it was. I think the novelty would wear off fairly quick.
Ass Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #89
Black Joker
College star

everyone ready for tonight
Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #90
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
everyone ready for tonight

Definitely. It'll be interesting to see how that cap off the season and what new storylines will be opened for season 5.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: