Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - No fight from Nuggets

Source: No fight from Nuggets

Quote:

LOS ANGELES - George Karl and his Denver coaching staff have a kooky pregame ritual -- a physical bump-and-shove session in the locker room, a scaled-down version of football players getting ready for contact.
A version of the pregame scrum has even made its way onto YouTube.

"I've hit the ground a couple of times," said Karl before Wednesday night's 122-107 playoff loss to the Lakers. "I've made some guys hit the ground."
It's the one thing his team hasn't done in this playoff series, yet -- make the Lakers hit the ground. And the home team was eternally grateful again.

Unlike their coach, the Nuggets are the opposite of physical. Unlike most postseason teams, the Nuggets don't put bodies on bodies, lean on you, or send you flying if you come down the lane.

They tried a gambling defense in Game 1, with some double-teaming on Kobe Bryant, but it turned into a dunk-fest for the inside players.

Game 2, Denver started with a zone look, trying one man on Bryant most of the time.

No good, either.

Bryant re-established that he's the star of this team, not his best new friend, Pau Gasol. Bryant fast-forwarded right past the "facilitator" portion of his game, in which he tries to involve his teammates early. Instead, he shot first and facilitated later -- jumpers, drives, whatever -- and exploded for 20 points in the first quarter on his way to 49. He didn't get an assist until midway through the second quarter, after he had already made 9 of 11 shots.

You had to give the Nuggets credit for never giving up on offense, of course. They kept playing their relentless, unapologetic, every-man-for-himself attack, but still couldn't run down the Lakers from behind.

Denver's offense may look selfish -- all right, it is selfish -- but when you have Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony on the court at the same time, the culture of the offense is already doomed to a one-on-one style.
In Nugget-ville, if you give the ball up, don't expect to get it back. And that's not just when the ball goes to Anthony or Iverson.

J. R. Smith, Kenyon Martin, Linas Kleiza -- pick a number, any number -- you imagine them starting their dribble and screaming, "I'm going in, guys!"
As talented as the Nuggets are in that one-on-one game, though, it's rarely been a winning formula at any level, and it doesn't look like Denver is on the verge of a major basketball breakthrough in this series.

Here's a stat for you: 33-12. That's the advantage in assists the Lakers had Wednesday night. Even the coach of this big-time isolation offense knows a losing number when he sees it.

"We can't win a game with 12 assists," he said.

Anyway, the Lakers must like what they've seen so far from the Nuggets. That is, some soft, half-hearted stabs at defense, enabling the Lakers to keep up with the other three perfect teams in the Western Conference playoffs.

Karl said afterward that he expects a more intense mind-set from his team when the series resumes Saturday in Denver.
"We'll play better defensively at home, we're statistically better," he said. "Sometimes it takes a couple of games before you figure out how to win."

Maybe, but the Lakers have to like their position. In the supposed supercharged, anyone-can-win West, all those predicted six- or seven-game series are quickly vaporizing.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Frank Foley
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - No fight from Nuggets

Hopefully this puts to rest any thought that Kobe isn't the best player on this team. After game 1, there were several posts (some from respectable posters) suggesting that Kobe was holding his team back; or that the Lakers would only go as far as Pau and Lamar would take them; or that Pau opened things up for Kobe, and not the other way around. All of that goes against common basketball sense, of course, but the prevalence of that line of thought made me question
my own hoop knowledge.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
gts
shhhhhhh

nice post socal thanks

nuggets got their homework cut out for them... thya have yet to beat the lakers this year in 5 tries... i can't imagine they have too many more options to throw at the lakers
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

They are very emotionally unstable. Too many techs when the game wasnt totally out of reach. I dont know what it is. You wouldnt see Spurs doing things like that at the end of games. What they really need to do is learn to play defense, but that cant just be turned on after an entire season of no D. They can score at will at times, but when their shots doont fall, then they have no back up plan. They need to play some D if they really want to contend
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Coop-A-Loop
I can handle it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Hopefully this puts to rest any thought that Kobe isn't the best player on this team. After game 1, there were several posts (some from respectable posters) suggesting that Kobe was holding his team back; or that the Lakers would only go as far as Pau and Lamar would take them; or that Pau opened things up for Kobe, and not the other way around. All of that goes against common basketball sense, of course, but the prevalence of that line of thought made me question
my own hoop knowledge.
I agree that Kobe is the best player on the team, but I also think previous history has shown that he is not winning without Pau and LO.

Actually without everybody on the team contributing they are screwed. Last night was a prime example - it was a game that LO fans have in the past, wanted to trade him to the Knicks for Isiah and water bottles, but Luke stepped in and posted somewhat similar #'s so nobody has said anything.

In the same respect where are the Luke haters today?
Coop-A-Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Frank Foley
Made that high school varsity squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop-A-Loop
I agree that Kobe is the best player on the team, but I also think previous history has shown that he is not winning without Pau and LO.

Absolutely no argument from me. I agree 100%. All I meant to convey was that the notion that Kobe is some sort of glorified role player is idiotic.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Coop-A-Loop
I can handle it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Absolutely no argument from me. I agree 100%. All I meant to convey was that the notion that Kobe is some sort of glorified role player is idiotic.
I agree 100%.
Coop-A-Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lttgZwiinQ

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: