Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #46
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: Alabama WILL be in the Title Game if they run the table

Well, if they do an 8-man playoff system, then yeah, it will probably be the conference leaders from the power conferences and 2-at large teams. I wouldn't like that either, but it beats what we have now. Though, I don't see them going with anything but a 4-team playoff for a while if they do go that route.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #47
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Well, now that Alabama's out of the picture, look for the LSU-slobbering to begin.

It'll be interesting. Oregon beats an awful Washington team, Auburn gives up 24 pts to a high school team, TCU beats the #5 ranked team in the country.

Any bets on what their order will be come Sunday night?
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #48
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Well, now that Alabama's out of the picture, look for the LSU-slobbering to begin.

It'll be interesting. Oregon beats an awful Washington team, Auburn gives up 24 pts to a high school team, TCU beats the #5 ranked team in the country.

So what? One win against a top 5 team means they should jump over one or two teams that play in tougher conferences and have beaten multiple top 25 teams? I'll give you Oregon, maybe, because their only real good win is Stanford, but they're beating everyone else in their conference so impressively, I don't really care.

Auburn, though, has four wins over teams currently in the top 20.

If Utah wasn't TCU's lone impressive win then I'd agree with you, but you're acting like they should jump at least one of Auburn or Oregon based off of one victory.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #49
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Remember when EVERYONE thought Gene Chizik was an awful hire?
i think i was the only Auburn fan to think it wasnt a bad hire
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

What do you have to say about Utah being ranked #5 while beating nobody? TCU has only beaten 3 teams that have winning records while Auburn has beaten 4 ranked teams and yet you want TCU to jump them?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #51
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
What do you have to say about Utah being ranked #5 while beating nobody? TCU has only beaten 3 teams that have winning records while Auburn has beaten 4 ranked teams and yet you want TCU to jump them?

The more and more he posts on this subject the more and more he sounds like nothing more than a conspiracy theorist whack-o.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #52
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
The more and more he posts on this subject the more and more he sounds like nothing more than a conspiracy theorist whack-o.

True. The arguments did seem valid at first, but then he just went straight Michael Moore on us.

There's no possible way anyone can equate the level of competition of those sissy rocky mountain conferences to the likes of the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #53
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:

Their ranking was number five. Give these teams some credit. I'm not saying to jump on the wagon for championships, but these teams being ranked this high this stage of the season is no easy accomplishment.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

The BCS system had Utah #5, not me. I never thought they were that good.

My point...and if you'll check my post, all I did was ask if anyone wanted to bet/speculate on what would happen...was that the argument for ranking Oregon and Auburn higher has been the quality of their opponents. So, since the system has already taken this into account from Day 1 AND has Utah ranked #5 despite that, why doesn't the win count for more?

It's just basic reasoning. If a system that is fair, unbiased and dispassionate has teams ranked 1-5, why wouldn't a victory over #5 move the needle more than a win over Charleston or Chattanooga or whoever?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #55
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Their ranking was number five. Give these teams some credit. I'm not saying to jump on the wagon for championships, but these teams being ranked this high this stage of the season is no easy accomplishment.

Exactly. There comes a point where, if you're going to entrust a system to fairly assess the comparative values of teams that don't play each other, that you have to trust that system. Saying Utah doesn't play anybody is a point long past; the system has already taken that into account.

If you're going to live by the rankings, you have to die by the rankings as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #56
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
So what? One win against a top 5 team means they should jump over one or two teams that play in tougher conferences and have beaten multiple top 25 teams? I'll give you Oregon, maybe, because their only real good win is Stanford, but they're beating everyone else in their conference so impressively, I don't really care.

Auburn, though, has four wins over teams currently in the top 20.

If Utah wasn't TCU's lone impressive win then I'd agree with you, but you're acting like they should jump at least one of Auburn or Oregon based off of one victory.

Both Oregon and TCU have played a pretty pedestrian schedule, largely because most of college football is pretty pedestrian. Oregon has won by an average of 33 ppg vs TCU 31 ppg. Oregon gives up 19.9 ppg to those marginal teams. TCU gives up 8.9.

Oregon has beaten then-#9 Stanford and then-#24 USC. TCU has beaten then-#5 Utah and then-#24 Oregon State.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #57
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
It's just basic reasoning. If a system that is fair, unbiased and dispassionate has teams ranked 1-5, why wouldn't a victory over #5 move the needle more than a win over Charleston or Chattanooga or whoever?

Because Auburn has already played their tough schedule. Most teams play scrubs at the beginning of the season. Auburn chose to play one towards the end. They shouldn't be punished for it.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #58
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Because Auburn has already played their tough schedule. Most teams play scrubs at the beginning of the season. Auburn chose to play one towards the end. They shouldn't be punished for it.
yep..and for this particular game it was AU's homecoming, which is why we played a scrub team.

it really doesnt matter where you're ranked right now though. if Auburn beats Georgia and Alabama then there's no question that we should be ranked NO.1-2 and AHEAD of TCU. if we lose either, we fall out of the NC race and life moves on.

bottom line: every thing will be it's correct place on November 27th (the day after the Iron Bowl)
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #59
Jackass18
The Iron Price

LOL at Utah
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #60
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
LOL at Utah

Oregon too, I hope. That's a lousy Cal team.

Just shows how worthless human opinion...which makes up 2/3 of the BCS rankings...is when picking the 'best' teams.

You know what would be a great idea? Eliminate these obviously flawed opinions. Have the teams that win their conferences compete in a playoff!

Last edited by JMT : 11-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: