Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Keys to being a dominant player...

My game is one for the ages.. all through grade school I had the best handles but absolutely no D, no shot, and no strength.. past few years I hit the weight room, handles have diminished somewhat but have turned into a more polished, stronger version of my oldself that can D up and score. Here are some things that helped:

1- Have absolute confidence in your handle .. if you dont, then work on it. I like to dribble medicine balls, work hard on my pivot, do plyos, speed drills, dribbling drills.. I work ALOT on my in and outs, hesitations, hop step, and crossover. The hesitation is huge to keep defenders respecting your drive. And once they start respecting your first step/drive, thats when it becomes crucial to:..

2 - Have a pullup jumper and dont be afraid to use it. Im talking free throw range. Be able to dribble hard, plant, and rise up for the J. Once your first step is going, the defender is not going to be able to contest the shot as much and he defintely wont block it. So just know in your head "this guy cant block my jumper" and you will get off a good shot and chances are it drops.

3 - Keep turnovers down!! When I have a bad game it usually starts with 1 tiny turnover. Play calm and composed and more importantly relaxed and in good spirits.. do your best to keep turnovers to an absolute minimum. What helps me is not FORCING THINGS. If I have a blackhole on my team or a dominant personality, I get the tendency to try and forcefeed them and it creates turnovers.. so sometimes I like to slow things down and get my rhythm going, even if it means IGNORING Teammates.. as long as your playing good team ball, you have nothing to worry about.

4 - ignore the sidelines .
Do whatever it takes to stay in the game. If it means ignoring mom and pops on the sidelines, if it takes to wear a funky outfit so you have zero self confidence in your appearance therefor allowing you to concentrate all on the game, if it means telling the wife "sorry babe no lovin to day I gotta focus" stay focused on the game! Sometimes if Im playing the game and a wonderwoman hotass female walks in , Ill try to pull a crossover, long 3, etc... or if someone is talking noise I try to shut them up right away. Its a waste of time and a disrespect to the game. FOCUS and dont stop till you get that W.

5- Respect your oppononent. Dont ever walk into a game thinking you have it won. Alot of people out there have given hours and hours and years and years of toil and hardwork towards the game of basketball and they sure as hell aint gonna let you have anything easy. So get your gameface on and be ready to do whatever it takes to get the W.. so atleast if you lose, you can say that whoever beat you had to work their ass off to do so.

6- Be strong enough to take a bump and keep going. I used to be 6'1, 135 lbs all through HS. Its no wonder I never got any minutes. Im finally hitting almost 170 which has allowed me to be lethal on my attacks to the hole. Basketball is a contact sport, whether it was meant to be or not. You got guys wearing mouthpieces now, wearing padding all over, under armour, etc... its a physical, physical sport. Be prepared mentally for the physicality, and it starts in the weightroom!.. get a routine going and stick to it. You should be hitting the weightroom hard atleast 2-4 times a week.

7 -Never give up - the most important. There's been times where I have an awful game, or I get owned by someone better then me, and I say to myself "Damn thats it. I suck. Ill never be good enough" and then the next night Im dropping 20/8/8 on dudes and Im the best baller out there. Dont give up. Keep going. Nobody wins them all.

8 - Take care of your body. Eat well, stay fresh, stretch, and get good rest. Drink lots of water and take a solid multi as well as various supplements if you can afford them (protein, bcaas, etc)

9 - Always remember that theres 2 sides of the floor.. offense AND defense. All the greatest players are very different offensively, but the one common thing between them all is that they also played great defense. Dont be afraid to sacrifice your offense a little if it means you can have more energy on D. Dont be afraid to buckle down, touch the ground, and give your opponent hell. Dont be afraid to reach or go for the steal. Stay smart and stay on your toes. If you set the example for hard nosed defense, your teammates will take notice and follow (unless they are grade-a bltches).

Last edited by unbreakable : 06-25-2009 at 05:54 AM.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Keys to being a dominant player...

Good Post, unbreakable.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
My game is one for the ages.. all through grade school I had the best handles but absolutely no D, no shot, and no strength.. past few years I hit the weight room, handles have diminished somewhat but have turned into a more polished, stronger version of my oldself that can D up and score. Here are some things that helped:

1- Have absolute confidence in your handle .. if you dont, then work on it. I like to dribble medicine balls, work hard on my pivot, do plyos, speed drills, dribbling drills.. I work ALOT on my in and outs, hesitations, hop step, and crossover. The hesitation is huge to keep defenders respecting your drive. And once they start respecting your first step/drive, thats when it becomes crucial to:..

2 - Have a pullup jumper and dont be afraid to use it. Im talking free throw range. Be able to dribble hard, plant, and rise up for the J. Once your first step is going, the defender is not going to be able to contest the shot as much and he defintely wont block it. So just know in your head "this guy cant block my jumper" and you will get off a good shot and chances are it drops.

3 - Keep turnovers down!! When I have a bad game it usually starts with 1 tiny turnover. Play calm and composed and more importantly relaxed and in good spirits.. do your best to keep turnovers to an absolute minimum. What helps me is not FORCING THINGS. If I have a blackhole on my team or a dominant personality, I get the tendency to try and forcefeed them and it creates turnovers.. so sometimes I like to slow things down and get my rhythm going, even if it means IGNORING Teammates.. as long as your playing good team ball, you have nothing to worry about.

4 - ignore the sidelines .
Do whatever it takes to stay in the game. If it means ignoring mom and pops on the sidelines, if it takes to wear a funky outfit so you have zero self confidence in your appearance therefor allowing you to concentrate all on the game, if it means telling the wife "sorry babe no lovin to day I gotta focus" stay focused on the game! Sometimes if Im playing the game and a wonderwoman hotass female walks in , Ill try to pull a crossover, long 3, etc... or if someone is talking noise I try to shut them up right away. Its a waste of time and a disrespect to the game. FOCUS and dont stop till you get that W.

5- Respect your oppononent. Dont ever walk into a game thinking you have it won. Alot of people out there have given hours and hours and years and years of toil and hardwork towards the game of basketball and they sure as hell aint gonna let you have anything easy. So get your gameface on and be ready to do whatever it takes to get the W.. so atleast if you lose, you can say that whoever beat you had to work their ass off to do so.

6- Be strong enough to take a bump and keep going. I used to be 6'1, 135 lbs all through HS. Its no wonder I never got any minutes. Im finally hitting almost 170 which has allowed me to be lethal on my attacks to the hole. Basketball is a contact sport, whether it was meant to be or not. You got guys wearing mouthpieces now, wearing padding all over, under armour, etc... its a physical, physical sport. Be prepared mentally for the physicality, and it starts in the weightroom!.. get a routine going and stick to it. You should be hitting the weightroom hard atleast 2-4 times a week.

7 -Never give up - the most important. There's been times where I have an awful game, or I get owned by someone better then me, and I say to myself "Damn thats it. I suck. Ill never be good enough" and then the next night Im dropping 20/8/8 on dudes and Im the best baller out there. Dont give up. Keep going. Nobody wins them all.

8 - Take care of your body. Eat well, stay fresh, stretch, and get good rest. Drink lots of water and take a solid multi as well as various supplements if you can afford them (protein, bcaas, etc)

9 - Always remember that theres 2 sides of the floor.. offense AND defense. All the greatest players are very different offensively, but the one common thing between them all is that they also played great defense. Dont be afraid to sacrifice your offense a little if it means you can have more energy on D. Dont be afraid to buckle down, touch the ground, and give your opponent hell. Dont be afraid to reach or go for the steal. Stay smart and stay on your toes. If you set the example for hard nosed defense, your teammates will take notice and follow (unless they are grade-a bltches).

lol@the underlined.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Dude, great post. I have confidence in my shot anywhere (except beyond the arc. I'm inconsistent), but then I look to forcefeed my teammates and don't create good opportunities for my teammates or myself. Again, great post, man.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

well said for any league player/rec player out there
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
lilyi
RIP Pete Maravich #44

lilyi has an OK reputation so far

i got one,
dont be scared of getting blocked =D
lilyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

L3B120N J4M35 has decent reputationL3B120N J4M35 has decent reputation

thanks. hopefully it works. i have decent defense a good 3 pointer, an alright midranged j, a great 15-18 foot jumper, and i can get to the basketball a lot of the time.
L3B120N J4M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster

Awesome post. I saved it to my sidekick.
LevisJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
JG000
High School JV MVP

JG000 has an OK reputation so far

Great post fam. I will drop my own tips thread sooner than later.

So you got a sick handle, any footage of you with the rock?
JG000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

its indeed very important to ignore the crowd, i used to have some difficulties with doing so.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: