Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: Legends to be remembered: Greatest players that never played in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    Bobby Parks

parks was a scrub-- he couldnt break into any of the nba camps so he went overseas

he had a decent college career though

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Default Re: Legends to be remembered: Greatest players that never played in the NBA

Ao, hotsauce, main event, mr 720, professor, and wilds, but he will be there in 09 tho.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

how about ah chew goo

form wiki:

Press Maravich, father of basketball great Pete Maravich and a future college coach, was stationed in Hawaii during World War II and saw Goo perform his tricks with a basketball. The elder Maravich told Goo that if he ever had a son he was going to teach him all the tricks he saw Goo perform. His eventual son, "Pistol" Pete Maravich, was renowned for his ball-handling and passing skills and became the highest scoring player in college basketball history. Maravich called Goo "the best ball-handler I've ever seen." [2]

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Lax4422Chik1342's Avatar

[QUOTE=Paladin55]Mel Daniels' name popped up when I saw Roger Brown, his teammate, mentioned. Daniels was a 6'9" Indiana ABA center. Ended up injured, and only played about 11 games with the then New York Nets when they moved into the NBA and then retired at age 32. 2x MVP and Rookie of the Year in the ABA. QUOTE]

Fantastic blast from the past, I had momentarily forgotten him till you included him, he had all the tools, good lookin' out on this name. Great to recall him.

Dunking on everybody in the park jason816's Avatar

Ma Jian.

Greatest non-American ever to not play in the NBA imo.

the most athletic Chinese player ever to play the game of basketball.
    a combination of height, power, speed, shooting, ball handling....
    (he played for University of Utah.)

too bad he got cut by the Clippers in 1995 right before the season began.
    (I guess the league was not ready for a Chinese dude... not yet)

Ma Jian was considered a pioneer who cleared the way for other players from China to enter the NBA, such as Wang Zhizhi, Yao Ming, Mengke Bateer and Yi Jianlian.

he returned to China later in the 90s to play in the CBA(Chinese Basketball Association). At the age of 31, he could score at will when playing against his fellow Chinese players(including a 18 years old Yao Ming).

I have a video tape of his game when he was playing for U of Utah... but i dun have a VHS in my home anymore and i have no idea how to transfer it to my PC....
    (in one of the clip, Ma Jian was surrounded by 3 black american players, no offense to black people, but Ma over powered all 3 of them, grab the offense rebound and just dunk it with 2 hands...)

Stern+refs=fail

chuck norris

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

My grandfather lived in NYC during the 60's and 70s and he told me that Pee Wee Kirkland was ridiculously good, as good if not better than Tiny Archibald.....he also told me that its true that Manigault could touch the top of the backboard at 6'1, 6'2

Dunking on everybody in the park jason816's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
    My grandfather lived in NYC during the 60's and 70s and he told me that Pee Wee Kirkland was ridiculously good, as good if not better than Tiny Archibald.....he also told me that its true that Manigault could touch the top of the backboard at 6'1, 6'2
    no offense to your grandfather, but most elderly tend to say stuffs like that...
    my grandfather used to told me that a shark tried to attack him when he dropped from his fishing boat, and he out-swam the shark. it's just physically impossible, right?

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

Nikos Galis - one of the greatest player that ever played in the Euroleague, and if you watched some of his highlights in youtube, you would be amazed that this guy is one of the best scorer in Europe, and a proven winner in the International Competition.

Awards

FIBA Europe European Player of the Year 1987
    Eurobasket 1987 MVP
    4-time Greek League MVP: (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991)
    5-time Greek League playoff MVP: (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991)
    6-time Greek Cup MVP: (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993)
    Greek Basketball Hall of Fame
    FIBA Hall of Fame (2007)
    50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors 2008

Some of his greatest Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
    Very good choice.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

oprah

Allan Caidic and Samboy Lim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHUP27tbNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shz8xa9hnAU

The 2 best players in Asia in the 1980s' and early 1990's.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 03-08-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Oh man Dejan Bodiroga was soooo good it's ridiculous he never made it to the nba

Connie Hawkins sonn

Maurice Stokes - NBA top 5 potential all-time forward... career cut short.

He was a bigger and stronger forward than Elgin Baylor - actually he was virtually identical in size and strength to Lebron James. As a forward his massive hands and jacked physique were setting rebounding records hauling in 17+rpg for 3 seasons in the mid-late 1950's... He is still #3 all-time in rebounds per game behind only Russell and Chamberlain. Basketball history would have been very different if he hadn't suffered from this:

Stokes drove to the basket, drew contact and fell to the floor, hit his head, and was knocked unconscious. He was revived with smelling salts and returned to the game. Three days later, after a 12-point, 15-rebound performance in an opening-round playoff game at Detroit against the Pistons, Stokes became ill on the team's flight back to Cincinnati; "I feel like I'm going to die," he told a teammate. Stokes' head injury was greatly aggravated by airplane cabin pressure during the flight back to Cincinnati; he later suffered a seizure, fell into a coma and was left permanently paralyzed. In the end, he was diagnosed with "post-traumatic encephalopathy, a brain injury that damaged his motor control center."

History got Wilt vs Russell and Magic vs Bird. But it missed Stokes vs Baylor.

Connie Hawkins - The NBA wouldn't let him play until he was past his prime.

The NBA blackballed him because his name was connected to a gambling scandal that he wasn't guilty of. His prime was wasted away in amateur leagues. Julius Erving did not invent some of the style we connect to his name. Connie Hawkins did. Erving borrowed from what he had seen Hawkins do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmO41v27k00&t=6m50s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUThAmz2Yak&t=4m14s
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-08-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Great college starter

Joe "The Destroyer" Hammond