Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Default Raptors 2008-2009 Season Awards

Saw this in the Nets forum and thought it would be interesting to do.

MVP - Andrea BEASTNANI!

It's true that he didn't perform at a high level for the entire year, due to being placed out of position, coming off the bench, and competing with JO for minutes. However, from January and on, it's obvious who our best, most clutch, and most consistent player was and he's only gonna get better.

ROY - Ukic

Ukic I guess (by default)? He had some flashes of brilliance, but I don't see him becoming much of a relevant factor in this league.

6th man
Pops

- We only had him for a bit, but the energy and intensity he brought to the table was a sight for sore eyes, even though his actual skill set is limited.

Biggest Surprise

Joey Graham - I, and i'm sure many of you as well, wanted us to get rid of his ass after his up and down season last year. But this year he proved himself to be a solid role player who does indeed belong in the NBA.

Biggest Disappointment

Chris Bosh/Jason Kapono - I guess it's hard to call JK a disappointment since we already knew he sucked, but it's disappointing in the sense that he struggles to do pretty much the only thing he was brought here to do. Shoot.

As for Bosh, I know it's hard to call a 20/10 guy a bust, but it's easier when he plays soft and weak, shoots jumpers, and turns the ball over at every clutch late game opportunity.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 04-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
bonez26
Local High School Star

Default Re: Raptors 2008-2009 Season Awards

MVP Chris Bosh - Dude carries our team every year and is only 1 or 4 players to end the year with 20/10. Also participated in his 4th all star. (ps. it's no his fault Colangelo can't put better players around him).

Biggest Suprise - Bargs....after being shifted around at the start of the year in Mitchells system, he blossomed into the player we all thought he could be given consistent mins at the 5. Lets hope he can keep it going next season.

ROY - Roko by default. Showed flashes or brilliance and disspointment. He will have to come back really prepared next year to make that next step.

6th man - Pops - showed the energy and ferociousness with his limited skills. Raps need more players of his ilk moving forward. I hope he's gonna be back but not holding my breathe.

Biggest dissapointment: Jawai - looking at his body and how he played across sees I thought he'd be better looked absolutely lost out there early on ...which is understandable. Was getting better later on in the year after 2 stints with Idaho. Hope he works hard in the offseason to develop.

Best highlight of the season: Shawn Marion dunking over Granger....by far...lol!
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
SESSEL15
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Saw this in the Nets forum and thought it would be interesting to do.

Biggest Disappointment

Chris Bosh/Jason Kapono - I guess it's hard to call JK a disappointment since we already knew he sucked, but it's disappointing in the sense that he struggles to do pretty much the only thing he was brought here to do. Shoot.

As for Bosh, I know it's hard to call a 20/10 guy a bust, but it's easier when he plays soft and weak, shoots jumpers, and turns the ball over at every clutch late game opportunity. Oh, and on top of that he's a deadbeat dad.

I know that you are in love with Bargnani, but out of all the Biggest Disappoinments (Jermaine O'neal, Will Solomon, Jason Kapono, Jose Calderon (due to injury), you choose the best player on this team. Its ok to like both Bargnani and Bosh you know. Be realistic.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
MVP Chris Bosh - Dude carries our team every year and is only 1 or 4 players to end the year with 20/10. Also participated in his 4th all star. (ps. it's no his fault Colangelo can't put better players around him).

Biggest Suprise - Bargs....after being shifted around at the start of the year in Mitchells system, he blossomed into the player we all thought he could be given consistent mins at the 5. Lets hope he can keep it going next season.

ROY - Roko by default. Showed flashes or brilliance and disspointment. He will have to come back really prepared next year to make that next step.

6th man - Pops - showed the energy and ferociousness with his limited skills. Raps need more players of his ilk moving forward. I hope he's gonna be back but not holding my breathe.

Biggest dissapointment: Jawai - looking at his body and how he played across sees I thought he'd be better looked absolutely lost out there early on ...which is understandable. Was getting better later on in the year after 2 stints with Idaho. Hope he works hard in the offseason to develop.

Best highlight of the season: Shawn Marion dunking over Granger....by far...lol!

From Smith, regarding Roko:

"And, the other thing was that he’s obviously taken a shot across the bow at Our Friend Roko with repeatedly pointed remarks about the failings behind Jose. I honestly think Roko comes back far better than when he left and he’ll turn into a good NBA point guard but I’m not entirely sure Bryan shares that opinion."

Regarding Pops:

"Did you hear one of the names that popped up during the session? Rasho.

And since Bryan brought him up – as an example of the kind of good locker room guy teams need – I can see them having some interest in him this summer. But I also heard Bryan suggest Patrick O’Bryant will be back (there’s some misinformation that his contract for next year is fully guaranteed, which it won’t be until July 1; the Raps can waive him before then and save $300,000, although that seems unlikely.

So, you’ll have Bosh, Bargnani, Hump, O’Bryant, Jawai with contracts and if they bring Rasho back, guess who’s the odd man out?

Yep, if I’m Pops Mensah-Bonsu, I’m not sure I’d be signing any long-term leases around these parts. "

Also, how can you be disappointed with Jawai?? He couldn't play the first half of the year due to a HEART CONDITION. A man's life takes precedence over b-ball, and we all knew he was raw coming in. Being raw, missing all of training camp and 3 months of the season doesn't make it very easy to be any good. Why don't we wait a year?

Last edited by RaininThrees : 04-21-2009 at 01:54 PM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

MVP = Bosh
ROY = Ukic (Default)
6TH = Pops
Surprise = Bargnani's Emergence
Disappointment = The failure of the JO experiment & season after so much hype. Also Jose's injury woes.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Regarding Pops:

"Did you hear one of the names that popped up during the session? Rasho.

And since Bryan brought him up – as an example of the kind of good locker room guy teams need – I can see them having some interest in him this summer. But I also heard Bryan suggest Patrick O’Bryant will be back (there’s some misinformation that his contract for next year is fully guaranteed, which it won’t be until July 1; the Raps can waive him before then and save $300,000, although that seems unlikely.

So, you’ll have Bosh, Bargnani, Hump, O’Bryant, Jawai with contracts and if they bring Rasho back, guess who’s the odd man out?

Yep, if I’m Pops Mensah-Bonsu, I’m not sure I’d be signing any long-term leases around these parts. "

Also, how can you be disappointed with Jawai?? He couldn't play the first half of the year due to a HEART CONDITION. A man's life takes precedence over b-ball, and we all knew he was raw coming in. Being raw, missing all of training camp and 3 months of the season doesn't make it very easy to be any good. Why don't we wait a year?

I'd rather have Pops than O'Bryant, personally.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I'd rather have Pops than O'Bryant, personally.

I completely agree, but I wonder if it comes down to that $300,000 the Raps would owe POB, and how much Pops would get offered on the market.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I completely agree, but I wonder if it comes down to that $300,000 the Raps would owe POB, and how much Pops would get offered on the market.
A better question is, how much is Pops worth to us vs. how much POB is worth? If this team is planning to be comptetive next year, I can see POB being nailed to the bench, and then even though he'd be cheaper, he'd also be pretty much useless to us. I would still prefer pops at 1-2 mill/season than POB at 300k.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
A better question is, how much is Pops worth to us vs. how much POB is worth? If this team is planning to be comptetive next year, I can see POB being nailed to the bench, and then even though he'd be cheaper, he'd also be pretty much useless to us. I would still prefer pops at 1-2 mill/season than POB at 300k.

POB is making more than $300K, if the Raps were to cut him, they'd still owe him his salary, minus $300K. This amount (the contract, not the $300K) would count against the cap. Maybe I wasn't clear on that.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
On July 11, 2008, O'Bryant signed a 2-year, $3.12 million contract with the Boston Celtics.

So basically we'd have something like 1.2 mill counting against the cap for the 2008-09 season, which I don't see as a huge problem considering it expires after that year is up.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

MVP - Bosh
ROY - Ukic
6th - Graham
Surprise - Graham
Disappointment - Calderon (Due to injury)
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: