Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

You know, Battier can block shots on the weak side and keep up with most SG/SF in the NBA

He is decently athletic at least.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Why does someone care if he can dunk or not?

These are the kind of basketball thoughts that ran through my mind when I was like seven.
    cause he's a 6'8" NBA wing player. the dunk is a form of expression and the highest .pct shot in basketball and he's only shooting .400 from the field this year.

oh and coming out of high school he was compared to Grant Hill...

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    cause he's a 6'8" NBA wing player. the dunk is a form of expression and the highest .pct shot in basketball and he's only shooting .400 from the field this year.
    Yet he's still an outstanding basketball player.

Only few players in the league can take the dunk to artistic fashion to make it interesting.

Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

It's such a miniscule aspect to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther

Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.
    A big man dunk too

Decent college freshman

hes athletic enough to be one of the best defenders in the league
    Shows how little defense has to do with the ideal visual perception of athleticism.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Yes

you don't need athleticism to be a great defender. you guys have probably never stepped on the court to make such a dumb statement. charles oakley was not very athletic but a great defender. the only thing that you need to be a good defender is the desire and drive to want to be a good defender. oh and good footwork helps too, but thats with practice

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    you don't need athleticism to be a great defender. you guys have probably never stepped on the court to make such a dumb statement. charles oakley was not very athletic but a great defender. the only thing that you need to be a good defender is the desire and drive to want to be a good defender.
    You don't need great athleticism to be a great defender, but you do need very quick feet. You can't defend, if you can't move........I don't care how much desire you have.

Decent college freshman

produce the vid

don't got a vid but here's a pic

another 1

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
    You don't need great athleticism to be a great defender, but you do need very quick feet. You can't defend, if you can't move........I don't care how much desire you have.
    he studies game tape. he knew where kobe was going 90% of the time in last years wcf. his defensive IQ is off the charts. with that being said, battier does have quick enough feet to stay with most players. i'm not saying he isn't athletic, he just isn't the physical specimen that lebron or tmac or vince carter are.

now if someone was flat footed, it would be hard to guard anyone in the league. which is probably why there aren't any flat footed defenders in the league, unless i am mistaken lol

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Shows how little defense has to do with the ideal visual perception of athleticism.
    ^

This dude is so smart.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Yet he's still an outstanding basketball player.

Only few players in the league can take the dunk to artistic fashion to make it interesting.

Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

It's such a miniscule aspect to the game.
    Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.

Root Of All Evil

Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.
    You a stat junkie? As a player given his ROLE ... he's outstanding.

believe me, every championship team needs a role player that plays his role to perfection like shane battier does. trevor ariza, james posey, bruce bowen, etc