Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Actually what NGJS is saying is kind of true even though it came across in a harsh way. I've looked up some info before on what he does to treat his and it's pretty much that he manages with a combination of prescription pills and talk therapy from a psychiatrist. I don't think he really believes that it can be cured by his interviews and what he says and how he acts. I think that he feels that at best he can contain it by limiting certain activities, avoiding certain things altogether, and popping a pill before flights and things like that. That's totally the wrong way to go about it and I hope he gets more educated on it and meets some of the right people. Because I have made tremendous strides, and only have been able to do so by challenging myself and stepping outside of my comfort zone to not avoid or put limits on what I can or cannot do.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

I'm sure Hoiberg and McHale have open lines of communication with regards to Royce and will do everything possible to get him what he needs to be comfortable. The fact he's not in camp worries me.

Royce White has positive meeting with Rockets

By Brett Hein on Oct 4, 8:03a
    Houston Rockets rookie forward Royce White met with team officials on Wednesday night, which is reported to have gone "well," according to FOX 26 in Houston. White has been absent from training camp in a continued battle with his widely publicized anxiety issues.

The station's report also says that White is not set to join the Rockets' training camp, but will try to join the team at a later date.

White, the no. 16 overall pick of the 2012 draft, also released a statement through his publicist in which he says he has asked for help and will continue to champion understanding for mental illness:

"For me, hiding is no longer a healthy option in treating my anxiety or OCD, so I have asked for some help from the organization to ensure long-term health for myself ...

"It is regrettable that I cannot be currently present, but long term health obviously should be the most important thing. I will continue to champion the cause for mental illness being met with understanding; if not, the ramifications are dangerous."

A tweet from White even later in the night confirmed the report that the meeting went well:

There is nothing but very positive strides being taken right now between I and the @houstonrockets to support health. Thank You! #Rockets

— Royce White (@Highway_30) October 4, 2012
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/10/...ockets-meeting

NBA lottery pick

First of all I don't even know who this dude is... secondly that means he isn't good enough to be making such demands for accommodations...

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    They need to just have him sedated before flights.

Dat ether.

Royce White the basketball player is a beast. I've seen a lot of the dude in college and he's solid. Great rebounder, agile, has a good array of paint moves. I'm unsure how it affects him on the court but I think if he can manage to work through it, he may be a worthwile risk in the long run. Plus it's not like he's on a contending team right now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe

Please stop.
    I'm correct.

Best cure for depression and anxiety is to spend some time in Africa at missions centre for a few weeks or months.
    Then your mind grasps real problems to be sad about or worried about.
    Sounds harsh but it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Best cure for depression and anxiety is to spend some time in Africa at missions centre for a few weeks or months.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Any college basketball/draft experts here, how much did his OCD/Anxiety issues hurt his draft stock compared to where he was picked at 16?

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Wrong, it makes you more depressed to live in such a world.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship
    - Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
    Any college basketball/draft experts here, how much did his OCD/Anxiety issues hurt his draft stock compared to where he was picked at 16?
    First of all I don't think you could call anyone here an expert. But as someone who did follow his basketball career he was a definite top 10 perhaps even a top 5 prospect. People have compared him to a guy cut out of the mold of a Charles Barkley but taller and more properly filled out.

edit: in doing a quick google search I found that it seems he actually did ask teams about whether they would accomodate him or not with the whole bus thing prior to the draft. I'm unsure though of what exactly he told the rockets organization.

In sit-downs with White, however, NBA officials have warned that the pros will be less accommodating. The Heat told him that he wouldn't be allowed to drive even the four hours to Orlando. "It's understandable," White says. "But in my head, I'm going, You want me to drive. You're paying me millions of dollars to perform.... We're not all alike."
    So that does makes sense to me why he would be emphasizing the disability part of it. For them to not even give him the option.
    Last edited by lilbeastnani; 10-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I say do whatever it takes to let the man play esp since he's willing to front the money for some of his needs. His openness about his disorder could help raise mental health disorder awareness for NBA players and fans alike
    I understand this point, but this isn't just an ordinary job.

If his mental disease is this serious, then he shouldn't be in the NBA. Imagine the trouble that he'll cause for his players, fans and organization?

I wish him the best, but this is a business at the end of the day, and he'll hurt it.