Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

Default Elton Brand

Sorry if this has been asked before but how do you guys feel about Elton Brand.

I personally think it was a horrible signing last year and that the way played with and without him I think they should showcase him the first quarter of the season and try to dump him.

How do you 76ers fans feel about him?
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
SixersFan76
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Elton Brand

It was a horrible signing because he got hurt, not because it was a horrible signing. Fact of the matter is, Elton missed nearly a full season and he wan't going to be back to 100% at the beginning of the season. We were never going to change our style of play and incorporate him overnight. He had unfortunate injury issues. At the end, Sixers needed a defensive minded PF who can score in the post and hit the mid-range jumper. Elton was perfect. He didn't get the max, and when healthy, he's a consistent 20 and 10 player who also plays defense. He shouldn't be the featured player, but he's a very good 2. We didn't have a PG to play with him last season who could orchestrate in the half court and run a pick and roll and didn't have a single shooter on our team. Iguodala and Williams had horrible starts to the season because they had contract issues and didn't work out most of the summer. Miller is a notoriously slow starter. Dalembert had a horrible season with and without Brand. Cheeks got fired because he failed to create a coherent offensive and defensive philosophy.

If Elton Brand comes back healthy and plays well, we would have zero need to move him. If he comes back and he isn't healthy and isn't playing well, no one is going to trade for him. It's a moot point. If he's healthy and is the Elton Brand of old, all this bad signing stuff goes out the window and we roll with him. If not, it was bad luck and we're stuck with him.
SixersFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Im so nba'd out
Banned

He was avg 20 points and 10 rebs for his career....That can never be a bad signing
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
artificial
:-P

Pretty much what SF76 said.

You don't give someone the contract Elton got to give up after just one season hampered with injuries.

And yes, last season started slowly for everyone, and they were indeed having trouble gelling together, followed by the injury. That certainly sucked, but it's not a reason to jump out of the bus.

Now we'll have a new season, a new coach, and hopefully some health. Let's see.

Not saying Brand signing worked perfectly -or that it didn't-. It's just too early to give the verdict.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixersFan76
It was a horrible signing because he got hurt, not because it was a horrible signing. Fact of the matter is, Elton missed nearly a full season and he wan't going to be back to 100% at the beginning of the season. We were never going to change our style of play and incorporate him overnight. He had unfortunate injury issues. At the end, Sixers needed a defensive minded PF who can score in the post and hit the mid-range jumper. Elton was perfect. He didn't get the max, and when healthy, he's a consistent 20 and 10 player who also plays defense. He shouldn't be the featured player, but he's a very good 2. We didn't have a PG to play with him last season who could orchestrate in the half court and run a pick and roll and didn't have a single shooter on our team. Iguodala and Williams had horrible starts to the season because they had contract issues and didn't work out most of the summer. Miller is a notoriously slow starter. Dalembert had a horrible season with and without Brand. Cheeks got fired because he failed to create a coherent offensive and defensive philosophy.

If Elton Brand comes back healthy and plays well, we would have zero need to move him. If he comes back and he isn't healthy and isn't playing well, no one is going to trade for him. It's a moot point. If he's healthy and is the Elton Brand of old, all this bad signing stuff goes out the window and we roll with him. If not, it was bad luck and we're stuck with him.

I never looked at it that way. Thanks.

The 76ers are my second favorite team behind the Celtics(sucks they're in the same division). I don't get to watch them very much, the input def. helps me get a better understanding. Hopefully he can comeback healthy and they can start the year like they finished it. Thanks again.
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

My feelings havent changed. The Sixers needed Elton Brand and at the time not many fans in general figured that was possible. You would be asked to wake up from your daydream. Sixers have him and we really didnt get a chance to see what he can do. Eddie Jordans offense should be beneficial to the style Elton plays as well. No 2nd guessing on my end. Love the move and glad we didnt go the Josh Smith route. Altho Atlanta had no intentions on letting him go and I doubt Josh really considered Philly (just driving his price up). Give me Brand over Smith.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

my brother peppers me all the time about BRAND ( laker fan so what can you expect from him except KOBE THIS AND KOBE THAT......try playing nba2k with this kid and you can imagine the trash talking.l.....i hate kobe on the 2k10 cover also)

i really have no problems with brand just a terrible season for him last year.
what could he do? wrong coach wrong pg. this year should be alot better for our team in terms of getting brand in the MIX. i don't see why we should dump him really.......what could we possibly get. if it means gettin rid of sammy d i'd do it in a hart beat other than that he's here for a long time and i m just going to cheer for him.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

I wasn't crazy about it. Not in the sense that I thought it was a bad signing, but more in the sense that a lot of people thought they had found the missing piece to the puzzle. EB has always been a great second option to me or a good 1B. So my concern was more in regards to would Iggy continue to be more aggressive with another guy added into the line-up that can score and would Thad's progression move fast enough before EB's career starts to fade. Obviously, none of those things were able to happen with the injury.

It'll be interesting this season to see how everything works out with Brand being integrated into the offense.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: