Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Cleveland with the weird picks

He was definitely underrated until Hollinger mentioned him as the fourth best player in the draft. Now he might be overrated.

Still, he could be a Westbrook kind of pick, where everyone thinks it's a reach at first, then he makes it look like he was an obvious choice in the top 5 from the beginning. Playing alongside Kyrie and being coached by Byron Scott can only help his development.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    He was definitely underrated until Hollinger mentioned him as the fourth best player in the draft. Now he might be overrated.

Still, he could be a Westbrook kind of pick, where everyone thinks it's a reach at first, then he makes it look like he was an obvious choice in the top 5 from the beginning. Playing alongside Kyrie and being coached by Byron Scott can only help his development.
    Hollinger is a dumb****, who listens to that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by sixer6ad
    Thompson was 2nd Team All NBA Rookie Last Year. Now, it's not a badge of honor to carry around 2nd Team awards, but it's far from a flop. They drafted three things with Thompson: Energy, Defense, and Rebounding - and he was very good in all 3 areas..
    In a weak draft class. Atleast mention that.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    they're crazy if they let Varaejo go. he's one of the most underrated bigs in the league, and doesn't need the ball to impact games unlike most players. he's got to be the best hustle-heart rebounding big in the league.

+1

We need to start Zeller/TT and return AV to his original role as a 6th man swing pf/c.

I'll be more pissed about losing AV if we trade him than I was about losing Lebron!

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    This is what I always think of when I hear/see "Yolo". Then I force myself to remember it's a stupid meme.

re: OP, I too thought TT and Waiters were not the best choices. However, I still like the way the team is shaping up. If (always "if) their youth can live up to their potential, they'll be real good. Hell, they were in playoff contention last year before Kyrie got hurt.

if you consider the TT pick, it really wasn't that bad of a pick. They needed the best big available in a draft short of much big man talent. Valanciunas' buyout situation probably scared them away and Kanter was off the board by their turn at number 4

Waiters im not too sure about. I just don't know enough about him or seen enough of him to say if it was a good pick or not. From the draft workout video I've seen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVm57uNFwfw) and the summer league games one thing that is for damn sure is this guy is not shy and definitely has the ability to get to the rim. His conditioning scared me a little bit though, maybe it was the injuries that held him back in his offseason programme but still, I hope he can pull it all together.

Oh, and I think Zeller is ready start, throw him into the fire right away, he has size and mobility, TT can protect the rim, let those guys grow together I say. Never been a big fan of Varejao anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    if you consider the TT pick, it really wasn't that bad of a pick. They needed the best big available in a draft short of much big man talent. Valanciunas' buyout situation probably scared them away and Kanter was off the board by their turn at number 4

Waiters im not too sure about. I just don't know enough about him or seen enough of him to say if it was a good pick or not. From the draft workout video I've seen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVm57uNFwfw) and the summer league games one thing that is for damn sure is this guy is not shy and definitely has the ability to get to the rim. His conditioning scared me a little bit though, maybe it was the injuries that held him back in his offseason programme but still, I hope he can pull it all together.

Oh, and I think Zeller is ready start, throw him into the fire right away, he has size and mobility, TT can protect the rim, let those guys grow together I say. Never been a big fan of Varejao anyways.

I don't like that Waiters is ball dominant. I wanted Beal, for his length, and to be our Rip Hamilton type of player.

Then again, Kyrie is an awesome shooter. So, while Waiters being on the floor w/ him at the same time, taking the ball out of Kyrie's hands could be seen as negative, if Kyrie can run occasional curls and Waiters knows how to pass the ball it might work out okay.

I do agree that Zeller should start, assuming he proves he's ready to. I like AV off the bench as a swing 4/5 6th man, and that was always his best role.

If Waiters is really as ball-dominant as he seems to be, perhaps he should also come off the bench like a bulls-era ben gordon...but then we'd need to start boobie who is even more undersized, or contract a vet 2-guard to start. Or start CJ....I dunno
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    I don't like that Waiters is ball dominant. I wanted Beal, for his length, and to be our Rip Hamilton type of player.

Then again, Kyrie is an awesome shooter. So, while Waiters being on the floor w/ him at the same time, taking the ball out of Kyrie's hands could be seen as negative, if Kyrie can run occasional curls and Waiters knows how to pass the ball it might work out okay.

I do agree that Zeller should start, assuming he proves he's ready to. I like AV off the bench as a swing 4/5 6th man, and that was always his best role.

If Waiters is really as ball-dominant as he seems to be, perhaps he should also come off the bench like a bulls-era ben gordon...but then we'd need to start boobie who is even more undersized, or contract a vet 2-guard to start. Or start CJ....I dunno
    Well Scott like his players to run, and he likes them to attack. I think they lacked the personnel the past two years to truly adopt that style. In a more uptempo style I think Waiters would fit well with Kyrie, otherwise, you're right, the sixth man role would probably fit him much better. Maybe start Alonzo Gee for his defense in that case

ive only seen a handful of waiters' college games, and he didnt seem too ball dominant

i think to suceed in the nba you need guys who can get to the basket, and play the pick and roll. waiters can do this. i agree i would have preffered beal, or maybe barnes, maybe. but im still pretty happy. irving is very good off the ball too like computernerd points out, so they fit great together in theory, both able to play on or off the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    ive only seen a handful of waiters' college games, and he didnt seem too ball dominant

i think to suceed in the nba you need guys who can get to the basket, and play the pick and roll. waiters can do this. i agree i would have preffered beal, or maybe barnes, maybe. but im still pretty happy. irving is very good off the ball too like computernerd points out, so they fit great together in theory, both able to play on or off the ball.
    If waiters can work w/o the ball on a regular occasion, running curls and pick & pops, I'll be happy.

I want the Ball in Irving's hands the bulk of the time, unless he's sitting.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    If waiters can work w/o the ball on a regular occasion, running curls and pick & pops, I'll be happy.

I want the Ball in Irving's hands the bulk of the time, unless he's sitting.
    I think Kyrie is a such a gifted floor general that he'll find out how to best utilize Waiters.

They really do have a lot of potential as a backcourt

I think Kyrie is a such a gifted floor general that he'll find out how to best utilize Waiters.

They really do have a lot of potential as a backcourt

im nit sure id call irving a 'gifted floor general'

weve never seen him actually manage a talented team, so im excited to see how he does with a few extra weapons on the floor alongside him

im nit sure id call irving a 'gifted floor general'

weve never seen him actually manage a talented team, so im excited to see how he does with a few extra weapons on the floor alongside him
    one and done pgs rarely have the success he has had.

considering he's only 20, this guy is a stud! at 19 he knew how to run a team (most of the time). Imagine what he does THIS year

one and done pgs rarely have the success he has had.

considering he's only 20, this guy is a stud! at 19 he knew how to run a team (most of the time). Imagine what he does THIS year
    oh, dont get me wrong, im really excited about kyrie, i cant wait for the season to start, im just saying his playmaking wasnt outstanding. it wasnt bad, but it was more his scoring that impressed me

oh, dont get me wrong, im really excited about kyrie, i cant wait for the season to start, im just saying his playmaking wasnt outstanding. it wasnt bad, but it was more his scoring that impressed me
    I just hope he shows up to camp in shape. I hope they didn't put screws in his hand, you can't run until they take them out. That'll set him back until well into the season in terms of conditioning I'd think.