Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Leader off the bench?

Who is the leader of our bench right now? We need someone that can lead our second unit and bring it offensively and defensively every night. Right now I don't see anyone stepping into that role. We may need to go deeper into our bench and see how some of these young guys respond in game situations. How good is goudelock...hill...Ebanks...eyenga...Morris?

We need to find out if we are serious about winning it all this year.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Leader off the bench?

Now that we addressed our PG problem, we have two more weaknesses. If those are solved, we're for sure a championship team.

1) The small forward position

2) The bench

We really don't have anything consistent off the bench. We have Matt Barnes who has been playing well because of Ramon Sessions. But we need one more guy that can provide sort of a spark. Someone who can create his own offense. A Jason Terry type of guy. However, we can't have everything. Beasley would have been that guy, and that would have been a great change to the bench. Right now though we must make due. If we plan on winning, we may have to see sessions playing around 40 + minutes a game unfortunately, to get both, the starting unit, and the second unit going.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Should move Sessions back to the bench and let Blake start, but still let Sessions play 30-35 minutes with Blake playing only 13-18 just to get someone who'll find easy buckets for the 2nd unit. Should look into a 10-day contract to see if a nice offensive player can be found such as Morris Almond/Dionte Christmas from the D-League or even someone like Mike Taylor to provide a defensive spark off the bench that can also penetrate and finish (an easy upgrade over Blake)
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
Who is the leader of our bench right now? We need someone that can lead our second unit and bring it offensively and defensively every night. Right now I don't see anyone stepping into that role. We may need to go deeper into our bench and see how some of these young guys respond in game situations. How good is goudelock...hill...Ebanks...eyenga...Morris?

We need to find out if we are serious about winning it all this year.

Idiot coach has still yet to figure out a rotation or even WHO will play during any particular MONTH.....if you look at the amount of DNPCD's on this team there is no mystery as to why our bench is so bad. Maybe dimwit coach is going to have Kobe come off the bench next
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Idiot coach has still yet to figure out a rotation or even WHO will play during any particular MONTH.....if you look at the amount of DNPCD's on this team there is no mystery as to why our bench is so bad. Maybe dimwit coach is going to have Kobe come off the bench next

Lol I would love to see tht
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Now that we addressed our PG problem, we have two more weaknesses. If those are solved, we're for sure a championship team.

1) The small forward position

2) The bench

We really don't have anything consistent off the bench. We have Matt Barnes who has been playing well because of Ramon Sessions. But we need one more guy that can provide sort of a spark. Someone who can create his own offense. A Jason Terry type of guy. However, we can't have everything. Beasley would have been that guy, and that would have been a great change to the bench. Right now though we must make due. If we plan on winning, we may have to see sessions playing around 40 + minutes a game unfortunately, to get both, the starting unit, and the second unit going.

I agree that the small forward position is a weakness for us right now. Metta World Peace has been absolute garbage this year. He's just not the same guy that was a dominant defender in Indiana. I don't know how good Ebanks is but maybe we should start working him into the rotation and maybe start him at small forward, let barnes be his backup, and have Metta be one of our backup pf's. Use his strength to get rebounds and defend pfs.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Should move Sessions back to the bench and let Blake start, but still let Sessions play 30-35 minutes with Blake playing only 13-18 just to get someone who'll find easy buckets for the 2nd unit. Should look into a 10-day contract to see if a nice offensive player can be found such as Morris Almond/Dionte Christmas from the D-League or even someone like Mike Taylor to provide a defensive spark off the bench that can also penetrate and finish (an easy upgrade over Blake)

Wow....funny that you mentioned Dionte, I liked him in college and thought he'd be a good pick up as an undrafted player. He was a clutch, step up shooter.
I haven't been following the D-League at all but yeah, the Lakers need to stop sleeping on viable players.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
I agree that the small forward position is a weakness for us right now. Metta World Peace has been absolute garbage this year. He's just not the same guy that was a dominant defender in Indiana. I don't know how good Ebanks is but maybe we should start working him into the rotation and maybe start him at small forward, let barnes be his backup, and have Metta be one of our backup pf's. Use his strength to get rebounds and defend pfs.

That's a very good idea with MWP. He needs to call Charles Barkley and work with him during the offseason on being an udersized 4 if he wants to extend his NBA career. He's been dreadful offensively. His D is still very solid, but with him at the 3 our frontcourt is pretty slow. I was hoping we'd swing a deal to bring Ariza back before the trade deadline as he was supposedly available, but we have to work with what we have now, and you'e right, our bench is a problem.

I think Brown needs to start settling in on a regular rotaion. I like Sessions and Pau on the 2nd unit. Add Glok (as a superior spot up shooter to Blake) at the 2, Barnes at the 3 (athleticism, defense and a decent shooter), and McBob at the 4 (giving us hustle, offensive rebouding, ability to run the floor etc.) Let Pau play in the paint while Bynum gets a rest, and be the focal point of the offense (in the paint where he's done it most of his career.)
So my 2nd unit would be:
1. Ramon
2. GLok
3. Barnes
4. McBob
5. Pau

That would be a dynamic, up and down the court second unit, which would be able to get some easy baskets in transition. Then go to Pau in the paint and let Ramon be more in scoring mode with that unit, then the spot up shooters on the outside. That unit would be able to score points.

I'd work Blake into the mix a little more with the first unit (maybe even start him as qrich suggested), not because I love Blake, just because Ramon can't play 48 mpg. I'd use Murphy at the 4 to spell Pau, and be on the court with Bynum, as Murphy's 3 point ability would help stretch the d and give Bynum more room to opertate in the paint (the way Orlando utilizes Ryan Anderson).

So my half's would look like this:

1st Q (first 6 min)
1. Blake (facilitator)
2. Kobe (scorer)
3. MWP (facilitator)
4. Pau (Scorer)
5. Bynum (scorer)

1st Q (second 6 min)
1. Ramon (scorer/facilitator)
2. Kobe (scorer)
3. Barnes (better 3 point ability)
4. Murphy (better 3 point ability)
5. Bynum (scorer)
(spreads the d for Bynum to operate inside)

2nd Q (first 6 min)
1. Ramon (scorer)
2. GLOK (3 point shooter)
3. Barnes (3 point)
4. McBob (rebounding, hustle etc)
5. Pau (scorer)
(Let the team get some transition baskets, then go to Pau in the paint and Ramon as the primary scorers, kicking out to outside shooters too)

2nd Q (second 6 min)
1. Ramon
2. Kobe
3. MWP
4. Pau
5. Bynum
(our best team on the court to end the half)

I don't like having Bynum and Pau off the court at the same time, I would always have at least one of them on the floor, that way, we'd have a top 5 NBA post scorer on the floor at all times (sometimes 2). We also need Ramon's offense on that 2nd unit, as Blake just can't get it done.

I'm not saying I penalize Ramon or Pau and make them second stringers, on the contrary, they are so good that we need them out there as much as possible, but Brown needs to manage his players better, and have the right combo's out there at the right times.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

I know Ramon Sessions is better than Steve Blake. But does anyone think Sessions should come off the bench? No offense to him.

1. Kobe, Bynum, & Pau can already produce enough offense for the starters. Kobe is a capable facilitator, it's not like their starting lineup had trouble producing without a good point guard, like back then when Fish was starting.

2. Session and Kobe might not be the best fit playing alongside. Kobe interferes with Session's confidence and disrupts his playmaking ability, since Sessions is forced to focus on getting Kobe the ball, instead of playing team ball. Unless Sessions learns how to ignore Kobe at times (which Kobe will never approve) this conflict will disrupt chemistry and make it easier for teams to defend.

3. Session makes the bench better by creating open shots for others with the support of Bynum or Pau. Sessions now becomes The Man with Kobe on the bench cheering him on. The resulting energy sparks the whole team both starters and bench.

4. The Lakers have the worst bench in the league, doesn't even take a genius to figure that out. What's the biggest problem? They don't have one decent playmaker in the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit could never be used completely without one of their Big 3 also on the floor. Aren't you sick of our bench play already? I definitely am.

The bottom line is simple, the Big 3 (Kobe, Bynum Pau) don't really need a point guard making plays for them. However, the bench does. Bench Sessions, but give him more minutes than Blake. It's kind of like what Lamar Odom used to do for us.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
I know Ramon Sessions is better than Steve Blake. But does anyone think Sessions should come off the bench? No offense to him.

1. Kobe, Bynum, & Pau can already produce enough offense for the starters. Kobe is a capable facilitator, it's not like their starting lineup had trouble producing without a good point guard, like back then when Fish was starting.

2. Session and Kobe might not be the best fit playing alongside. Kobe interferes with Session's confidence and disrupts his playmaking ability, since Sessions is forced to focus on getting Kobe the ball, instead of playing team ball. Unless Sessions learns how to ignore Kobe at times (which Kobe will never approve) this conflict will disrupt chemistry and make it easier for teams to defend.

3. Session makes the bench better by creating open shots for others with the support of Bynum or Pau. Sessions now becomes The Man with Kobe on the bench cheering him on. The resulting energy sparks the whole team both starters and bench.

4. The Lakers have the worst bench in the league, doesn't even take a genius to figure that out. What's the biggest problem? They don't have one decent playmaker in the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit could never be used completely without one of their Big 3 also on the floor. Aren't you sick of our bench play already? I definitely am.

The bottom line is simple, the Big 3 (Kobe, Bynum Pau) don't really need a point guard making plays for them. However, the bench does. Bench Sessions, but give him more minutes than Blake. It's kind of like what Lamar Odom used to do for us.

I respectfully disagree, Pau and Bynum become 4 times as deadly if you have a point guard who not only can get the ball to them in the right spots but also can penetrate and dish to them when their defender comes to help.
Kobe doesn't need Sessions to get the ball to him however, Sessions takes the burden off Kobe to distribute, this allows Kobe to rest and focus on shooting. Sessions definitely needs to start.
I don't think our bench is bad, I blame it on the guy running the bench, the guy who still doesn't have a rotation. Goudelock should be our scorer off the bench but idiot Brown doesn't let him play now

Oh...I'll add too that having Blake start helps you get off to a slow start, I've always believed in getting going immediately and building a lead, then going all out to increase it and put teams away.....never letting up.
That's just a matter of my own coaching style and preference.

Last edited by DKLaker : 03-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Wow....funny that you mentioned Dionte, I liked him in college and thought he'd be a good pick up as an undrafted player. He was a clutch, step up shooter.
I haven't been following the D-League at all but yeah, the Lakers need to stop sleeping on viable players.

Dionte was the shit at Temple, surprised he never really got a look. Almond was real damn solid as well. With James Anderson on a roster, I'm shocked these two are ignored. I think they could contribute off the bench as instant offense. Or even someone like Mike Taylor, don't know how he fell off so quickly.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: