Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #46
tamaraw08
National High School Star

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers Want Back In First Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
there you go, Checkmate. That alone makes any Howard to Houston talk silly EDIT: unless the back isn't as bad as it was made out to be, which is always a possibility.

Honestly I think Pau will be a Laker next year barring something huge. Front Office knows his value on the court so any move for him is going to be big. it's won't be a role player or two it'll be a like level player or something like a great first round pick, something they can't get any other way and they won't repeat the rumor mill from last season, they'll get it done before the season starts or they'll make it clear he's a Laker.

But I thought you made it clear that it would make perfectly sense that the Lakers would be determined to shed salary this season to avoid the very expensive luxury tax next year. What I took from your past comment was Pau was the odd man out since getting rid of Kobe would be financial suicide while Bynum has strong affinity with Jim Buss plus he is only 24 yrs old and cheaper than Pau.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #47
tamaraw08

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k-Monster23
That's what it's starting to look like now. I also heard the Lakers interest in Dwight has been going to <<<< now. I think they rather find other ways to get better. I don't know. Maybe this deal could be for Pau. On the outside looking in everybody thinks it's for Dwight.

Dwill will stay a Net.

I try to put myself in DWill's shoes and it doesn't make sense for me to stay as a Net. DAllas I heard can offer 17 Mil plus a bigger chance to go deep in the playoffs with teammates like Dirk, Marion, Jet, Kidd etc.
The scary thought is that Dwight joins DWill and Dirk 2 summers from now as Dallas can shed some more salary in the future.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #48
tamaraw08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Trading him for the 10th pick would also save the lakers money, which will result in more flexibility for the future. But hey, I just blurt out ideas like an idiot. Forgive me for breathing.

Edit: There is not one star caliber player we can get for Pau. Might as well bank on a prospect with star potential.

How? They are still over the cap with Kobe's and Bynums GIGANTIC salary?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #49
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think it's a bad move for Williams to stay with the Nets too. If he really wanted to have a chance to win championships he would go to the Lakers or Dallas. Even if the Nets landed Dwight they would need a few years to surround those two with players. It would be a tough road for them to get past Miami and Chicago without a doubt.

I don't see the Lakers holding onto Pau because he's such a huge asset (and I don't mean that as a knock to his game). Off the top of my head I believe he's going to make 18 million next season, correct? That's a really hard contract to trade to any team. I really do believe the Lakers would like to move it. My guess is the teams they are trying to trade with would want the Lakers to pay some of that salary and that's probably a huge holdup.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #50
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
1.But I thought you made it clear that it would make perfectly sense that the Lakers would be determined to shed salary this season to avoid the very expensive luxury tax next year.

2.What I took from your past comment was Pau was the odd man out since getting rid of Kobe would be financial suicide while Bynum has strong affinity with Jim Buss plus he is only 24 yrs old and cheaper than Pau.
I broke your post up if you don't mind.

1. It would but it doesn't mean they can do it or that they'll shoot themselves in the foot to do it. Just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's doable at this time. Takes more than one to dance in the NBA and sometimes with some trades it takes two or three. What the Lakers want and what they can do could easily be two different things.

2. He's not odd man out in my book, I love Pau and believe he has a lot to give the organization but it appears he's odd man out within the Lakers and they pay him not me.

Maybe my fault for not being clear in some post somewhere. Sometimes hard to convey the difference between a personal view of what we'd want as a fan and what the Lakers might be thinking which is a personal view of a different type since none of us have a bug in Mitch's office so we really don't know what's being said and done behind the ice rinks of El Segundo.

Back on track. So even if Pau's odd man out the Lakers are not stupid and know his value to the team and it's on court performance and won't give him up just to cut salary if it's detrimental to the team. They'll want something positive back in some way, a top level player now a hot prospect or two. If it was strictly a salary dump they can use the amnesty clause next week but we know that's not going to happen.

Lastly to get rid of Kobe would be financial suicide. He generates so much interest for the team that it probably pays for his salary, the taxes on his salary and then some and he's a winner and the Lakers win because of him most of the time. He's still a very dynamic player with a lot to give. Even on the decline at his age he's arguably one of the top 3 players in the league on any given night and some nights still the best. You pay that bill and move on with a smile on your face if you're a Buss family member.

Last edited by BØBØ : 06-28-2012 at 03:39 AM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #51
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Why would the Rockets need any picks to make a move for Gasol?

Regardless, I'm a bit anxious about what's going down tomorrow. Hopefully the Lakers front office make moves that make them better and not just straight salary dumps.
Because that's what the Lakers want? Just because you want those players from Houston doesn't mean the Lakers do.

We'll get what we get. I'm sure the Lakers are working overtime to put the best team on the floor for next season and those to follow. They've always delivered in the past and I imagine they'll give it their best shot. It may take them a season or two with the way things are.

Last edited by BØBØ : 06-28-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #52
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
How? They are still over the cap with Kobe's and Bynums GIGANTIC salary?

Yes but 19 million dollar cap relief essentially is a 38 million dollar relief if you add in the taxes. They'd still be over the cap but significantly closer to getting under it, and it wouldn't be that hard to shed some more salary after that.

Kobe after a few seasons will retire and his money will also come off the books. We're just gonna have to let some people go.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #53
BØBØ
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Holy crap. Great posts, BOBO. To add to what you're saying, "heavily-rumored" blockbuster trades involving the Lakers haven't actually come to fruition since, what, Shaq to Miami? And anyone who says they saw the Pau or Paul trades coming is definitely a liar and possibly a pedophile.

The Lakers as a franchise play everything close to the vest, and they're notorious among draft prognosticators for being one of the most difficult teams to project during draft time. They throw up a ton of smokescreens, but sometimes they'll play it straight just to catch everyone off guard.

I do think Pau is gone, however--by the end of next season at the latest. BOBO's already gone into Larry Coon-esque depth about how hard the new lux tax penalties are gonna hit heavy spenders after next year, and that's on top of the revenue sharing that IMO reams LA and NY every year. I don't think any of the rumored trades involving Pau is good for us in a basketball sense, but unfortunately a lot of trades nowadays aren't made with that in mind.

And now that I've pressed "submit" on this post, watch tomorrow as LA trades Pau for whatever bag of beans and draft picks Chris Broussard et al. is reporting he's being traded for.
you made me squirt milk out my nose.

And you're right the Lakers could go into full salary dump mode and let Gasol go for peanuts. I don't see it happening, but then through all this is the unknown of the new CBA and it's real life ramifications. We think we know what the Lakers might thinking but it's all based on Laker moves from the past. We've never seen them with this much baggage hanging over them and this many constraints on their business.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
you made me squirt milk out my nose.

And you're right the Lakers could go into full salary dump mode and let Gasol go for peanuts. I don't see it happening, but then through all this is the unknown of the new CBA and it's real life ramifications. We think we know what the Lakers might thinking but it's all based on Laker moves from the past. We've never seen them with this much baggage hanging over them and this many constraints on their business.

For some reason, much like the 07-08 off-season, I feel there might be a division amongst management.

We got Jim saying dont expect major moves, Mitch talking about pursuing trades to help this team....and whatever.

One thing is for sure, and it sounds like the team still wants to compete.

The question is, relatively speaking, how much do we need to actually compete? The thunder have an issue and that is to figure out how they can keep both, harden and Iblocka. They might have to let one go.

The Miami Heat are also a tax team with 3 max contracts. What could they possibly do to improve? They also might have to let a couple of guys go.

In the end of the day, we might be seeing every team let a crucial piece walk, because of the new rules. We might give up Pau for nothin, and still be a top team if every other team had to make sacrifices as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #55
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
For some reason, much like the 07-08 off-season, I feel there might be a division amongst management.

We got Jim saying dont expect major moves, Mitch talking about pursuing trades to help this team....and whatever.

One thing is for sure, and it sounds like the team still wants to compete.

The question is, relatively speaking, how much do we need to actually compete? The thunder have an issue and that is to figure out how they can keep both, harden and Iblocka. They might have to let one go.

The Miami Heat are also a tax team with 3 max contracts. What could they possibly do to improve? They also might have to let a couple of guys go.

In the end of the day, we might be seeing every team let a crucial piece walk, because of the new rules. We might give up Pau for nothin, and still be a top team if every other team had to make sacrifices as well.

DK's Rant of the Day
I hate this BS CBA stuff, what happened to Capitalism and free enterprise? teams should be able to spend as much money as they can afford. Why the FK did we even put teams into small markets if they cannot afford to compete? Screw that.....there are enough big cities in america to support 29 teams....or 30. This crap is beginning to ruin the game and is causing more moves which have nothing to do with anything but money. Why should fans fork out $$ to buy a jersey when the guy may be gone so quickly for money reasons. Speaking of reasons....Stern can go Fk himself for giving the Heat that bogus title (IMO). Why try to force parity? Why not allow teams to maintain their core group and grow together? Who the hell wants to see their favorite player playing in a different jersey? The whole things seems to forced and too planned, with Stern, his crooked refs and his b!tchy owners at the controls.....the current NBA is NOT "Fantastic". End Rant ............
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #56
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
DK's Rant of the Day
I hate this BS CBA stuff, what happened to Capitalism and free enterprise? teams should be able to spend as much money as they can afford. Why the FK did we even put teams into small markets if they cannot afford to compete? Screw that.....there are enough big cities in america to support 29 teams....or 30. This crap is beginning to ruin the game and is causing more moves which have nothing to do with anything but money. Why should fans fork out $$ to buy a jersey when the guy may be gone so quickly for money reasons. Speaking of reasons....Stern can go Fk himself for giving the Heat that bogus title (IMO). Why try to force parity? Why not allow teams to maintain their core group and grow together? Who the hell wants to see their favorite player playing in a different jersey? The whole things seems to forced and too planned, with Stern, his crooked refs and his b!tchy owners at the controls.....the current NBA is NOT "Fantastic". End Rant ............

lol the word is this is all Derek Fisher's fault. I don't know what to believe anymore. Its got everything so complicated. God Bless mitch for remaining firm and not stopping his work.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #57
tamaraw08

Quote:
Yes but 19 million dollar cap relief essentially is a 38 million dollar relief if you add in the taxes. They'd still be over the cap but significantly closer to getting under it, and it wouldn't be that hard to shed some more salary after that.

Kobe after a few seasons will retire and his money will also come off the books. We're just gonna have to let some people go.

Kobe and Bynum already has a combined 45 mil salary in the coming season. Add World Peace' 7 Mil and Blake's 4 mil and Mcbobs 3 mil, thats about 59 Mil on just 5 players which I think would be over the threshold. Even if you amnestied Artest, you still need 8 more players, and what are the chances of getting good players playing for vet minimum contracts?
How can you still go under the cap?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #58
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Kobe and Bynum already has a combined 45 mil salary in the coming season. Add World Peace' 7 Mil and Blake's 4 mil and Mcbobs 3 mil, thats about 59 Mil on just 5 players which I think would be over the threshold. Even if you amnestied Artest, you still need 8 more players, and what are the chances of getting good players playing for vet minimum contracts?
How can you still go under the cap?

That question brings up another one.... Talent (like how I use the SB thing) that decides to go to a destionation for the MLE doesn't count against the cap the same, does it? Remember, Artest and Blake were brought in using that. I'm not sure how it works out long term but that's exactly how Miami might bring in Ray Allen. If it doesn't count against them this year, does it next year?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: