Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs. Tim Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Kobe is more consistent than Duncan. He beats him in that category. This season is the only time Kobe averages less than 15 ppg since the 1998-99 NBA Season due to injury.

Tim Duncan is the model of consistency.

There isn't a legit argument to have Kobe ahread of Duncan.

That being said. Duncan isn't ahead by a mile like some say. Just by enough that there is really no need to discuss it.

High School Starter

Kobes got longevity on Tim but Tim had the superior peak and was a better playoffs/finals performer so Duncan is higher imo

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe
    Kobes got longevity on Tim but Tim had the superior peak and was a better playoffs/finals performer so Duncan is higher imo
    That longevity edge that Kobe had is nonexistent really at this point...

It's not a huge gap all time between them, but Kobe is clearly behind...and last year and this year aren't helping

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe
    Kobe has been in the NBA one season longer than Duncan. ONE!

You really gonna act like Kobe's 1 extra season as a crappy bench player gives him some kind of longevity edge? Timmy is older and seems to be holding up better.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Kobe has been in the NBA one season longer than Duncan. ONE!

You really gonna act like Kobe's 1 extra season as a crappy bench player gives him some kind of longevity edge? Timmy is older and seems to be holding up better.
    ...how? Kobe was still considered a top 5 player by some before his injury. Timmy is arguably not even top 5 in his position...

Kobe higher all-time ; Duncan the better player

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    ...how? Kobe was still considered a top 5 player by some before his injury. Timmy is arguably not even top 5 in his position...
    Duncan was a legit DPOY candidate last season and was 28 seconds away from a FMVP.

Kobe was wildly regarded as one of the worst defensive liabilities in the NBA last season. Couldn't play nice with his team mates which ran Dwight out of town and made Nash irrelevant because god forbid somebody touch the ball more than KoMe.

And.... Nobody legitimately thought Kobe was a top 5 player last season. Stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix

And.... Nobody legitimately thought Kobe was a top 5 player last season. Stop it.
    Well ESPN did put Kobe at top 4 in the middle of the season last season.

Yeah, ESPN is shit

On the whole, Duncan had a better year than Kobe last year. And is better this year as well.

Not to mention if you took the best 12 seasons of each player...Duncan comes out ahead as well.

The longevity thing really never played much to begin with as Kobe's first 2 years are essentially meaningless...and it took him until year 5 to become elite.

The problem with Duncan seems to be that people don't understand that his true impact comes from his defense/rebounding....way more than his scoring. Outside of 11...I just don't think Duncan has dipped all that much at all in his later years. He's still an elite defender for the most part. Still great on the glass as well.

I kind of got caught up in Kobe's regular season last year as well, but the more I thought about it...see no reason how Kobe was more valuable than Duncan...and then of course Duncan played great in the playoffs and was 1 made ft away from the title.

Even Kobe fans have acknowledged last year favors Duncan.

Very good NBA starter

All things considered its a wash.

But Kobe has a 4-2 edge in playoffs series (the most important way to compare two neck-and-neck players IMO).

Kobe's play against the best team of the century is one of the backbones of his legacy. He did better at 21 against the Spurs than Lebron did at his peak.

2001 Western Conference Finals versus Spurs: 4 gms, 42.0 mpg, 33.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.5 spg, .514 fg%. Lakers win 4-0.

2008 Western Conference Finals versus Spurs: 5 gms, 40.4 mpg, 29.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.6 spg, .533 fg%. Lakers win 4-1.

Kobe wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    On the whole, Duncan had a better year than Kobe last year. And is better this year as well.

Not to mention if you took the best 12 seasons of each player...Duncan comes out ahead as well.

The longevity thing really never played much to begin with as Kobe's first 2 years are essentially meaningless...and it took him until year 5 to become elite.

The problem with Duncan seems to be that people don't understand that his true impact comes from his defense/rebounding....way more than his scoring. Outside of 11...I just don't think Duncan has dipped all that much at all in his later years. He's still an elite defender for the most part. Still great on the glass as well.

I kind of got caught up in Kobe's regular season last year as well, but the more I thought about it...see no reason how Kobe was more valuable than Duncan...and then of course Duncan played great in the playoffs and was 1 made ft away from the title.

Even Kobe fans have acknowledged last year favors Duncan.
    I was mostly discussing regular season. Overall Duncan definitely had the better year, but I'm pretty no one really thought that until the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    All things considered its a wash.

But Kobe has a 4-2 edge in playoffs series (the most important way to compare two neck-and-neck players IMO).

Kobe's play against the best team of the century is one of the backbones of his legacy. He did better at 21 against the Spurs than Lebron did at his peak.

2001 Western Conference Finals versus Spurs: 4 gms, 42.0 mpg, 33.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.0 apg, 1.5 spg, .514 fg%. Lakers win 4-0.

2008 Western Conference Finals versus Spurs: 5 gms, 40.4 mpg, 29.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.6 spg, .533 fg%. Lakers win 4-1.

Kobe wins.
    I think head to head...especially players that play a different position...is one of the worst things to look at honestly.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think head to head...especially players that play a different position...is one of the worst things to look at honestly.
    maybe if they played once or twice.

But 6 times?

No.

I was mostly discussing regular season. Overall Duncan definitely had the better year, but I'm pretty no one really thought that until the finals.
    I think more people than you think did. I was caught up in Kobe as well and really didn't pay a lot of attention to Duncan. But he was a 18/10/3 player that might have been the best defensive player in the league.

That is just more valuable than what Kobe did in the regular season while missing the playoffs entirely. Doesn't mean Kobe was bad or something...just that what Duncan did last year was pretty special. And then he carried it into the playoffs and played great in the finals.

Like I said...he's a manu/leonard ft away from his 5th title and 4th finals mvp...while playing great in the finals. That is legend stuff...even in the loss. A 30/17 game 6...followed up with a 24/12 game 7.

Not enough is made about how the Spurs let down Duncan those last 2 games. Parker and Green and Manu were all a joke...Green shoots 2 of 16 in the final 2 games? Games in which he just makes 1 more shot and it changes everything...sad on so many levels.