Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #61
Yao Ming
I brick open layups

Yao Ming is considered somewhat coolYao Ming is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Name 10 albums in the 2k era better than this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I won't namedrop stuff here since I don't dig modern music that much, but a few days ago I had a discussion with my mates about "heady" music and Radiohead kinda fits in well.

Radiohead is made by the head for the head. It lacks the transportation of feelings, it's nerdy music that fails to put me into deep emotion, and I'm not alone with that sentiment - alot of my musician friends feel the same(huh!). It's not the worst in that aspect. Our drummer made us watch the DT drummer rehearsals and that was some awkward nerdy shit.

Radiohead doesn't seem to be inspiring. Alot of bands get huge inspiritations from past/present established bands. Actually most bands, if not made of brothers/friends, get together for their similarities in taste. I never heard any band state they'd wanna sound like Radiohead.

And that's not because you can't copy them. That's because they don't shake you. As Lemmy put it, (not a word by word quote) the first thing that you dig musically will inspire you musically for your whole life.

Who digs Radiohead as a first band?

Radiohead is listeners music not musician music.

That's some ignorant shit here. I'm a bass player myself. I'm almost exclusively into rock, put a solid hip hop output is preferable to a cheesy or shitty rock output of any kind. I don't listen much to new hip hop stuff, but I really dig the early 90s.

Hip hop takes some decent musically if the output has to be good. First you got guys like the Roots who actually play their instrument, but you also have to have an insane feel for music if you really want to put out some good hip hop songs. It's not like you steal some music, mesh it together and it will sound great. Arrangement is one of the toughest things in music and that's a gift only a few have. I will never be a guy who produces songs or writes them. I can write riffs that sound catchy, that's no problem, but to arrange them into whole songs is left for others.

My mates, aswell, don't look down on hip hop. It's not the music we listen to the most, but no one of us holds Radiohead to a higher opinion than the Pharcyde ie.

Lyrically downplaying hip hop is pretty lame since it actually is a form of music that heavily promotes the lyrical part of the song.

Don't mistake hip hop for the crap you see on MTV, else you could mistake your godly Radiohead for Nickelback.

Even the biggest Radiohead haters are aware that Radiohead has influenced a ton of artists from across all sorts of genres.
Yao Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #62
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool

LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #63
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
R.I.P. Camouflauge
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #64
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive has decent reputationOverdrive has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming
Even the biggest Radiohead haters are aware that Radiohead has influenced a ton of artists from across all sorts of genres.

Name a few significant outputs, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
They're kind of hit and miss live. They struggle with some of the vocal harmonies.

Crack the Skye is their best album, but it's probably their most accessible too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQ5o7b7qf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2fp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihZn_...feature=relmfu

Leviathan is widely regarded as their best or second best album (my second favorite). Here are a few from that album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__QulYyo0E&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6D-ys43DMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1dRh2FVVs

Well, the sound quality, although being youtube, is significantly better.
Music overall is decent, but the rhythm changes throw me off. They seem forced and not fluid.
The music on the gig was more straight forward so I just checked out which album came out when I saw them, it was "Blood Mountain".
Listening to it at the moment on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
While other musicians will like hip hop, go ahead and ask them to compare genres…. hip hop will usually come in last.

I know plenty of jazz, blues, soul musicians and they will consider hip hop the lesser genre. Truth be said, classical musicians usually have the same feeling towards other genres, but they will also rank hip hop amongst the very last. Why you ask?

Well that's a total different statement than looking down on it. From all the genres I like hip hop is last aswell, but I don't look down on it, because I know the effort it takes to put out a (hip hop) album.

Quote:
They don't respect the fact that most of its music is based off sampling plain and simple. And I'll even take it another step forward…. hip hop producers that don't sample, usually feel superior over hip hop producers that do sample.

I know alot of musicians aswell and never heard anything close to that. One of my friends who's a rock/jazz/boogie pianist actually produces hip hop albums.

Quote:
Technically speaking, other sample based or electronic genres are better then hip hop as well. Their sampling technics and production in general are more advanced.

That depends heavily on the level of the output you can't compare cheesy bullshit like Nelly to stuff like Aphex Twin.

The one is made for fast selling the other one for the musical aspirations of the artist.

Quote:
So that is why I state that one can't really compare a great rock album over a great hip hop album. As great as a hip hop album may be, at the end of the day, the album that didn't take a 4 second loop will be better musically…. f*ck what you heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

That's a huge example. Major key music most of the time features a combination of I IV V vi, major and minor blues inspired music uses riffs played on I IV V etc etc. Basically 90% of the Beatles cataloge contains any of the two progressions or parts of them. Still they're considered by alot the best ever.

If you wanna find anything original you usually have to dig into extrem metal
genres or past progressive rock.

Quote:
Lyrically speaking, it gets harder since there's different aspects worth considering. But most of the rap albums mentioned, aren't great lyrically. Kanye? ROFL

I agree here. Kanye and similar over Radiohead as little as I dig them is an insult.

Quote:
I will and have defended hip hop lyricism over rock/soul/pop in the past. But the artists that have been mentioned aren't it. Kanye is highly overrated as an emcee, good… YES, great, rarely. Lupe is an emcee that can compete with any rock artist past or present but I didn't see his name mentioned.

Yeah, but that's actually a counterargument to your own proclamation that rock > hip hop.

Quote:
And again… most of his music is 'sampled'. While comparing GREAT albums, we can't seriously say an album based on a 4 bar loop is better then something created from scratch. And even tho some of the songs on Amnesiac are sampled, the techniques used are more impressive then somebody getting an old soul record, sampling 4 seconds, chopping it up and looping it.

See above. Sampling is using a record already done to produce a certain sound/beat/song. Cypress Hill samples alot, but aside from the obvious songs (Hits from the bong ie) it's pretty hard to find out where the sample comes from. Tell me without looking up which samples are used on "How I could just kill a man".

Rock and further looking pop music of the past 60 years has used the same scheme on most of it records all over. Yes, different riffs, time signatures, keys but the basic principle is the same alot of times. I don't see that much of a difference actually. Just because someone pushes down strings on a woodstick instead of using some analog or digital recording?

Quote:
Now… not all hip hop songs are sampled, but most of the album usually is. The Roots are one of the few acts that are widely respected, but i didn't see their names mentioned anywhere. If so then that would've been a legit contender.

I don't dig any of the hip hop acts mentioned in this thread so far, but you made it sound like no hip hop production comes close to Radiohead and that's a very one-dimensional view imo.

Last edited by Overdrive : 08-16-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #65
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Lyrically speaking, it gets harder since there's different aspects worth considering. But most of the rap albums mentioned, aren't great lyrically. Kanye? ROFL

So:

I jumped in the river and what did I see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me
A moon full of stars and astral cars
All the things I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and futures
And we all went to heaven in a little row boat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

Great lyrics.

I just want to make surei m clear on that.

you believe that is great writing?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #66
AK47DR91

Quote:
Kanye and similar over Radiohead as little as I dig them is an insult.
Nobody said this. He said name 10 albums that are better than Amnesiac. The College Dropout and Late Registration are better.

I think that's the problem with music snobs. They only go by name recognition, rather than the actual music. They see "Kanye" and they automatically assume the music is trash. They see "Radiohead" and automatically puts the music as masterpiece.

Last edited by AK47DR91 : 08-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #67
chairman
The Return

chairman has decent reputationchairman has decent reputation

Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon /thread
chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: