Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Psileas
NBA lottery pick
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 5,279
Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Yes, this is one of the board's favorite "time travel" questions:

Put the 1980 Lakers in the 2013 NBA and the 1972 Lakers in the 1980 NBA, giving them preseason preperation. What types of records would each team post in their new league? Explain.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Collie
Good college starter
 
Collie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,262
Collie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

1980 Lakers would kill it. Most likely the champs. You have KAJ at the tail end of his prime, a young Magic who would be the 2nd best all around player in the league after LBJ, an all-star PG in Norm Nixon, a great second option in Jamal Wilkes, a defensive glue guy like Cooper and a great bench.

They'd be like a supercharged version of the run and gun Suns, but with two of the GOAT players ever. I'd think only the Heat could give them problems, but even then, it would take superhuman effort from Lebron and it would require Wade and Bosh being at their A game. The Heat thrive on forcing turnovers, but with two great ballhandlers in Magic and Nixon, they'd probably do better than any current team against that defense. Their greatest problem would be the three, as that Lakers team didn't have three point threats, and teams could clog the inside... but nah, KAJ is just too good.

Last edited by Collie : 09-06-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
LAZERUSS
NBA lottery pick
 
LAZERUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,102
LAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this board
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Player-for-player, the '72 Lakers were comparable to the '80 Lakers, and were a much better rebounding team.

And, yes, the '80 Lakers would be, at the very least, a title-contender in 2013, and perhaps the best team in the league.

BTW, the '72 Lakers, with an older roster, averaged 121 ppg in a league that averaged 110. The '80 Lakers, with a considerably younger roster, averaged 115 ppg in a league that averaged 109 ppg.

I might even take the time to break down the individual matchups, but they are very close.

As for dominance against their peers...very few teams, if any, were as dominant as the '72 Lakers.

Oh, and I will let CavFan give us the "real" average height of the '72 and '80 Lakers teams...as well as the 2013 Cavs.
LAZERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,078
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
Player-for-player, the '72 Lakers were comparable to the '80 Lakers, and were a much better rebounding team.

And, yes, the '80 Lakers would be, at the very least, a title-contender in 2013, and perhaps the best team in the league.

BTW, the '72 Lakers, with an older roster, averaged 121 ppg in a league that averaged 110. The '80 Lakers, with a considerably younger roster, averaged 115 ppg in a league that averaged 109 ppg.

I might even take the time to break down the individual matchups, but they are very close.

As for dominance against their peers...very few teams, if any, were as dominant as the '72 Lakers.

Oh, and I will let CavFan give us the "real" average height of the '72 and '80 Lakers teams...as well as the 2013 Cavs.
I don't know the 'real' height of every single player from the 72 or 80's Lakers roster but I'll just say this - there definitely appears to be no real height difference league-wide then vs now, only a perceived one on paper due to the inflated list heights of the modern era. That being said, minus Wilt that 1972 squad was actually a small-ball team, I think Wilt had actually stated before it was one of the smallest (height-wise) teams he ever played for. Didn't matter though, they played any style of ball against any kind of team and just blew everyone out. And no team is truly undersized with Wilt (310lbs at the time) in the middle. '72 team would probably obliterate most any team of all time save for a select few (example teams that would put up a fight are mid-80's Lakers, mid 80's Celtics, 97 Bulls, 67 sixers etc). The 72 Lakers are up there as a GOAT team.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-26-2013 at 02:14 AM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
LAZERUSS
NBA lottery pick
 
LAZERUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,102
LAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this board
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I don't know the 'real' height of every single player from the 72 or 80's Lakers roster but I'll just say this - there definitely appears to be no real height difference league-wide then vs now, only a perceived one on paper due to the inflated list heights of the modern era. That being said, minus Wilt that 1972 squad was actually a small-ball team, I think Wilt had actually stated before it was one of the smallest (height-wise) teams he ever played for. Didn't matter though, they played any style of ball against any kind of team and just blew everyone out. And no team is truly undersized with Wilt (310lbs at the time) in the middle. '72 team would probably obliterate most any team of all time save for a select few (example teams that would put up a fight are 86 Celtics, 97 Bulls, 67 sixers etc). The 72 Lakers are up there as a GOAT team.

The '72 Lakers occasionally had 6-10 (or 6-11 as he was often listed back then) LeRoy Ellis playing the PF spot. However, he was basically an outside player on offense, and actually had very good range to about 15-18 feet. Having said that, though, the 6-7 Happy Hairston was among the best rebounding PF's of his era, and would certainly have fared well even in today's NBA.
LAZERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Dr.J4ever
Justice4 the ABA
 
Dr.J4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,327
Dr.J4ever has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

As a young boy, i saw doc and the sixers lose to the 1980 sixers. That laker would contend today, but not a shoe in for a title. They may strugle vs todays nba limiting their transition and their lack of 3point shooters. Plus the zone would lessen kajs dominance. You can no longer win today without 3 point shooters.
Dr.J4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
LAZERUSS
NBA lottery pick
 
LAZERUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,102
LAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this board
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Speaking of 3point shooting...I suspect that the '72 Lakers would perform well in that regard. Both West and Goodrich had 20+ foot range, and had the 3pt line existed back then, I am sure that they would have adapted. Furthermore, neither of them were even the best pure shooter on that team. Flynn Robinson was among the best shooters of his era, and was regarded as the best shooter on that team.
LAZERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls
 
La Frescobaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,694
La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
1980 Lakers would kill it. Most likely the champs. You have KAJ at the tail end of his prime, a young Magic who would be the 2nd best all around player in the league after LBJ, an all-star PG in Norm Nixon, a great second option in Jamal Wilkes, a defensive glue guy like Cooper and a great bench.

They'd be like a supercharged version of the run and gun Suns, but with two of the GOAT players ever. I'd think only the Heat could give them problems, but even then, it would take superhuman effort from Lebron and it would require Wade and Bosh being at their A game. The Heat thrive on forcing turnovers, but with two great ballhandlers in Magic and Nixon, they'd probably do better than any current team against that defense. Their greatest problem would be the three, as that Lakers team didn't have three point threats, and teams could clog the inside... but nah, KAJ is just too good.
Spencer Haywood only played a few games for LA that season, traded from NY, but he was valuable. Teams immediately had to adjust when the Haymaker went in the game because of his unique skillset at both ends.

But Jabbar in the paint? Look what Roy H did to the Heat last playoffs.... but instead it is Kareem?
huh
I'd like to see Coops guard Wade or Kobe that'd be for real!!
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
LAZERUSS
NBA lottery pick
 
LAZERUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,102
LAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this boardLAZERUSS is popular on this board
Default Re: 1980 Lakers in 2013 and 1972 Lakers in 1980

The '80 Lakers, with a still near-prime KAJ, would match up very well with the '13 Heat. True, they would have problems with Lebron, but everywhere else they would match, and probably exceed the Heat. And, they had the "Bird-killer" in Michael Cooper, who would go on to even with a DPOY later in his career.

And I don't believe the '80 Lakers were even better than their '72 counterparts, either.
LAZERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy