Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Core Workout

I need some effective core workouts. I never used to take the core seriously but now I understand that it plays a huge role in athletic success. I was watching tape on Derrick Rose, and just by watching him you can tell he has a very strong core. Also I believe that if I make my core stronger I will be dunking consistently.

Now does anyone have any core workout suggestions?
So far I have:
bicycle crunches, planks, side planks, back bridges, and leg lifts.

Also if anyone knows derrick rose's core workout Im just curious.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Core Workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I need some effective core workouts. I never used to take the core seriously but now I understand that it plays a huge role in athletic success. I was watching tape on Derrick Rose, and just by watching him you can tell he has a very strong core. Also I believe that if I make my core stronger I will be dunking consistently.

Now does anyone have any core workout suggestions?
So far I have:
bicycle crunches, planks, side planks, back bridges, and leg lifts.

Also if anyone knows derrick rose's core workout Im just curious.

Core will really help you in vertical and game situations because it's how the power transfers through your body to the ground. A strong upper and lower is pretty useless with a weak core.

For many ab exercises, they require constant raising and lowering of the back. Try to avoid these because they'll put alot of stress on your spinal discs and will eventually damage them. I can give you the link to the article later, but try to focus on planks and weighted core exercises. One of my favorites is the weighted roman chair because I really have to work on getting the legs up.

You don't really need a huge amount of core exercises, I know people who do like 15 different exercises and that's just too much. It's overcomplicated and you can overwork the muscles there. Just choose about 2 exercises for each part of the core (front abs, obliques, lower back) and do about 4 sets of them. The workout Swaggin gave me was:

2x Roman chair leg ups
2x Front planks

2x Dumbbell side bends
2x Side planks

4x Back hypers

Occasionally I'll mix it up and just do the weighted exercises for 4 sets, but it's up to you. Just remember to keep it simple and challenging.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I took out the side bends because it felt like it was straining my back but yea the rest is the same. I have been losing fat, but my abs are noticeably more defined since starting that workout and I feel sturdier too. If you do those planks on a big medicine ball it's even more challenging.

That is a great overall core workout tho. Make sure you get those back hypers in... I have a tendency to forget them but they are really are important for overall core strength and balance.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Swagging and carpevicis how many reps per set? or how long to hold for the planks , do you just do the following once a week?

2x Roman chair leg ups
2x Front planks

2x Dumbbell side bends
2x Side planks

4x Back hypers

Last edited by 623baller : 06-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Usually I go for 10-12 reps per set, sometimes I'll mix it up and go heavier with less reps but that is the range I aim for. I've been doing them twice a week, for the planks I started at a minute for each then slowly added time.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I took out the side bends because it felt like it was straining my back but yea the rest is the same. I have been losing fat, but my abs are noticeably more defined since starting that workout and I feel sturdier too. If you do those planks on a big medicine ball it's even more challenging.

That is a great overall core workout tho. Make sure you get those back hypers in... I have a tendency to forget them but they are really are important for overall core strength and balance.

anyway to do back hypers at home without the machine?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
anyway to do back hypers at home without the machine?

Yea... just lay on your stomach and lift your legs and chest of the floor. You should feel it in your lower back, buns, and hamstrings.

I hold the planks for a minute each (front and side). The side ones are tough... you may have to start with 30-45 seconds first. 1 minute on the front planks should be tough, but doable.

I have been doing 20-25 reps on the roman chair knee ups (or in your case you would be doing lef lifts probably)... just with body weight. If my groin felt better I would add weight probably and do lower reps... but this is working for me so I'm in no rush to add weight. I just have less rest in between sets and it's a cardio burn.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Yea... just lay on your stomach and lift your legs and chest of the floor. You should feel it in your lower back, buns, and hamstrings.

I hold the planks for a minute each (front and side). The side ones are tough... you may have to start with 30-45 seconds first. 1 minute on the front planks should be tough, but doable.

I have been doing 20-25 reps on the roman chair knee ups (or in your case you would be doing lef lifts probably)... just with body weight. If my groin felt better I would add weight probably and do lower reps... but this is working for me so I'm in no rush to add weight. I just have less rest in between sets and it's a cardio burn.

iight. I used to do planks especially because during basketball season we had to hold it for 2 1/2 mins which is killer. Should you do crunches and such if you already do planks because I hear that crunches work the core dynamically. What is more beneficial?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Definately front and side planks as suggested, see if you can find the "full contact twist" exercise.

I would suggest against supermen, this puts double extension stress on the vertebrae, instead do bird dogs.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I didn't know the supermans were bad for you... what if you alternate on the ground with opposite hand and leg up? That's how I used to do them but I figured it would be easier to explain just a 2 arm and 2 leg superman.

I don't understand the human body sometimes. You are able to do a lot of things which are terrible for it (such as bending over and lifting with your back) but you don't really reap the consequences until one time where you just tweak it, or when you get older and it hurts like hell... you should just have to squat down in order to pick up things... and your body should tell you that superman's are bad
Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I didn't know the supermans were bad for you... what if you alternate on the ground with opposite hand and leg up? That's how I used to do them but I figured it would be easier to explain just a 2 arm and 2 leg superman.

I don't understand the human body sometimes. You are able to do a lot of things which are terrible for it (such as bending over and lifting with your back) but you don't really reap the consequences until one time where you just tweak it, or when you get older and it hurts like hell... you should just have to squat down in order to pick up things... and your body should tell you that superman's are bad

No doubt the back is a confusing area. I tend to listen to Stuart McGill when it comes to the back, he suggests no situps (I do a very strict form of crunches with very little spinal flexion with my clients) and just read he precautions with the supermen.

The problem with the opposite arm-leg superman is that you will still get the double compression, I would just do them on all 4's so the lumbar doesn't compress and one should be able to activate the muscles better that way.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
No doubt the back is a confusing area. I tend to listen to Stuart McGill when it comes to the back, he suggests no situps (I do a very strict form of crunches with very little spinal flexion with my clients) and just read he precautions with the supermen.

The problem with the opposite arm-leg superman is that you will still get the double compression, I would just do them on all 4's so the lumbar doesn't compress and one should be able to activate the muscles better that way.

Yea... typically I just do back hypers anyway... haven't done supermans in year lol just remember them from High School. I'm glad I found out about the no crunch thing tho... I heard it from Carpe and ever since then I have been doing exercises which keep my back straight for my ab routine, and it definitely does seem like the way to go.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is a pretty well-respected posterenayes is a pretty well-respected posterenayes is a pretty well-respected poster

Planks for the win.

enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Planks
Hanging Cork Screws
Leg Raises (Ground or in the Captain's Chair)
Weighted Sit-Ups
Side Bends
Crowd Waves
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
tazb
HoFx3+1

tazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrytazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrytazb posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I also recommend this Lebron workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2N2nfVWjY
tazb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: