Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #31
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: OT:Pacman not allowed to participate in TNA

I am just amazed that some of you either don't understand what it means to honor a contract and that Pacman put HIMSELF in this situation by both signing a contract and then behaving in a manner that violated that contract (as well as the law possibly).

Please people, stop exusing the guy... he did it to himself and he only has himself to blame.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #32
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Not shocked but it is really stupid. The Titans aren't going into bat for him, arent supporting him at all and now they want to tell him he cant go and earn money elsewhere because the league has decided that he isnt eligible to be paid as a footballer?

Stupid rules just compounding on themselves to get Stern like in the stupidity of them...

Pacman Jones got in trouble and was punished. He then goes out to earn income by doing something that violates his contract. The only stupidity here is in Pacman Jones corner...not the Titans.

Ask yourself this...if you were aware of your contracts stipulations. Would you involve yourself in something that threatens it? If its no then tell me why Pacman Jones once again wants to do things HIS WAY. His way got himself into this mess. Its time to do it others ways since he cant do right it seems.

If he picked another job this wouldnt be an issue. He can earn income lots of ways...he choose one that puts him in the wrong spotlight again
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #33
Ghetto Phenom
I hit open layups

Ghetto Phenom has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Maybe you're not quite aware of how contracts are written these days. They go well beyond the scope of the occupation itself. You have to realize that teams invest MILLIONS of dollars in these guys. So to have a few minor clauses in contracts is certainly plausible considering the circumstances. And as far as the contract itself goes, the players know what they are signing and if they don't oblige, then they will have to deal with the repocussions. What do they expect? IT'S A CONTRACT.

You're missing my point. I have no problem w/ the fact that the Titans put clauses in the contract to forbid dangerous activities. It would be stupid for them NOT to. That's done in every sport nowadays. I know contracts, I realize the investment. However, obtaining a restraining order IS a waste of taxpayer money. Those clauses protect the team to the point that IF Pacman gets hurt, they can terminate his contract w/o giving him a CENT!

So if the Titans have a problem with what he's doing, nobody will argue that they have JUST CAUSE to terminate his contract and send him packing. Why don't they want to do that? Because Pac-Man, despite all of his faults, is one helluva football player and they know another team will snatch him up and he'll still be playing football.

But if they're so worried about his legal problems and his attitude and his off-the-field activities, STFU and release him, charge it to the game and go your own merry little way. Don't have this crap in court, eating up tax dollars, while there are criminals to be caught, homeless that need to be fed, and REAL injustices that need to be examined.
Ghetto Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #34
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

Someone actually defending Pacman...

I am speechless.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #35
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Don't have this crap in court, eating up tax dollars, while there are criminals to be caught, homeless that need to be fed, and REAL injustices that need to be examined.

I think the court in question mainly resolves business disputes, and this kind of thing falls within its jurisdiction. The impression I got from the article is that this decision basically means that the Titans can sue Pacman if he wrestles. They can't actually stop him from wrestling, as that would constitute slavery.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #36
Ghetto Phenom
I hit open layups

Quote:
Someone actually defending Pacman...

I am speechless.
It's not a matter of defending Pac-Man. I could care less whether he wrestles or plays football for that matter. Makes me NO difference. I'm just saying that the restraining order is unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money.

Quote:
I think the court in question mainly resolves business disputes, and this kind of thing falls within its jurisdiction. The impression I got from the article is that this decision basically means that the Titans can sue Pacman if he wrestles. They can't actually stop him from wrestling, as that would constitute slavery.

I'm not questioning whether the case was in the proper jurisdiction. I'm just saying the case is dumb. Obtaining a restraining order against Pacman means that had he actually wrestled or had some physical altercation at the event, he could have GONE TO JAIL for violating his restraining order. You have to look at the context.

Say you work for a lawnmower service, driving the riding mowers and cutting grass all day. If your job said that Corvettes go too fast and put an anti-Corvette clause in your contract, that's one thing. But if they get a restraining order barring you from driving a Corvette that doesn't just mean they can fire you for crashing a Corvette, it means you can go to jail just for driving one. WTF? The court system works off precendence, meaning future related cases will refer back to this one. So as crazy as that example is, it could happen. I'm just saying the judge should've thrown the request out and said, "you don't want him to wrestle? well, tell him not to wrestle. and if he does, fire him!" case closed.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #37
FPower
Local High School Star

Quote:
btaining a restraining order against Pacman means that had he actually wrestled or had some physical altercation at the event, he could have GONE TO JAIL for violating his restraining order.

That's what I find impossible to believe, and think that you must be mistaken.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #38
Ghetto Phenom
I hit open layups

Quote:
That's what I find impossible to believe, and think that you must be mistaken.

Nashville employment lawyer Kevin Sharp said if Jones didn’t get relief from the court beforehand “it would not be very smart” for him to appear at Sunday’s event as he would be in contempt of court and face fines and possibly even time in jail. source

No, that is a definitely possibility. Is it LIKELY to have occured, in normal situations no, however you're talking about a young, black athlete who has been in trouble with the law before. A judge could want to "teach him a lesson" and give him the maximum charge for violating his restraining order and being in contempt of court, and toss him in jail. That's not uncommon at all and given the national media attention, I'm sure the judge would've wanted to set an example out of Pacman. Now I'm not from TN and have no idea what the maximum jail sentence for that is, could be 30 days, or 60, or 120 or more, but the fact is JAIL would have been a strong possiblity. That's why I say it's dumb.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #39
FPower
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Phenom
Nashville employment lawyer Kevin Sharp said if Jones didn’t get relief from the court beforehand “it would not be very smart” for him to appear at Sunday’s event as he would be in contempt of court and face fines and possibly even time in jail. source

No, that is a definitely possibility. Is it LIKELY to have occured, in normal situations no, however you're talking about a young, black athlete who has been in trouble with the law before. A judge could want to "teach him a lesson" and give him the maximum charge for violating his restraining order and being in contempt of court, and toss him in jail. That's not uncommon at all and given the national media attention, I'm sure the judge would've wanted to set an example out of Pacman. Now I'm not from TN and have no idea what the maximum jail sentence for that is, could be 30 days, or 60, or 120 or more, but the fact is JAIL would have been a strong possiblity. That's why I say it's dumb.

In that case I completely agree with your stance. Seems like slavery to me. Just because he works for the Titans doesn't mean they own him. This isn't 1860, how can he go to jail for getting a different job? If his current employer doesn't like his actions, they can fire him, and possibly sue him. Sending him to jail seems unbelievable. I'd guess the NAACP would be all over that instantly.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: