Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #31
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default Re: Little Mermaid Controversy

"As an adult, Iím not blind enough to my own privilege to be upset about this,"

haha

" Brown and black girls deserve to see themselves on screen too,"

It's like yeawhy not make a movie that's actually good, a NEW MOVIE. WOW. People don't realize they are getting played by who-ever remaking a movie and swapping in some black people.

It's like how are we gonna make people watch this movie again? WAIT... let's make people black. If I were black, I'd be pissed. If I were a black actor, I would be like... I'm not gonna let you dudes use me to come up.

Make a movie with an iconic black character. Aladdin wasn't white. Jungle book wasn't white. You're telling me you can't come up w/ some fairy tale that has an authentic black star?

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #32
Shogon
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak

haha

It's like yeawhy not make a movie that's actually good, a NEW MOVIE. WOW. People don't realize they are getting played by who-ever remaking a movie and swapping in some black people.

It's like how are we gonna make people watch this movie again? WAIT... let's make people black. If I were black, I'd be pissed. If I were a black actor, I would be like... I'm not gonna let you dudes use me to come up.

Make a movie with an iconic black character. Aladdin wasn't white. Jungle book wasn't white. You're telling me you can't come up w/ some fairy tale that has an authentic black star?

-Smak

Shogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #33
Prometheus
for your health

This entire topic and phenomenon

Black Ariel. lmao

Let's cast an Australian to play the next black panther
Prometheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
raprap
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

haha

-Smak
Facts
raprap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #35
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

People threw a fit about Miles Morales being Spiderman and Hawkeye being a woman. Both of those turned out to be great.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #36
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
People threw a fit about Miles Morales being Spiderman and Hawkeye being a woman. Both of those turned out to be great.
That’s dumb in my opinion. Miles Morales is Spider-Man in an alternate universe where Peter Parker isn’t alive anymore. They didn’t just make Peter Parker black or Latino out of the blue and they didn’t kill him off in the main Marvel universe. Having an alternate Spider-Man in an alternate universe is fine. It’s pretty cool actually.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #37
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Thatís dumb in my opinion. Miles Morales is Spider-Man in an alternate universe where Peter Parker isnít alive anymore. They didnít just make Peter Parker black or Latino out of the blue and they didnít kill him off in the main Marvel universe. Having an alternate Spider-Man in an alternate universe is fine. Itís pretty cool actually.

I was one of the people who threw a fit and learned my lesson when I sat down to read the books after crying about being forced political correctness comics. I dare say the Kateniss Bishop books are even better than Miles, but both were objectively great.

Riri kinda sucked as the next ironman not because she was black or a woman but they wrote her like Reed Richards and he's always been a boring plot breaking character that pops up to save the day with his genius.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #38
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:

haha

-Smak

This is pretty much what I've been saying

Add Moana (Disney) and Coco (Pixar) to that list.. fantastic new movies with fresh story-lines and nothing was forced.

The Little Mermaid (woke version) comes off very lazy and a publicity stunt
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #39
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:

-Smak

We've had discussions on this very forum about this. First, many posters here don't really subscribe to the idea that there are social benefits in promoting and displaying diversity in any medium, so you'd generally see push back regarding the need to tell some of these stories in the first place. You likely won't see that same push back in this thread because it doesn't fit the agenda at play here, but there's a thread from last year that was pretty... illuminating... as to how some people approach diversity in general, and diversity in media specifically.

Second, when there is a lack of diversity throughout the hierarchies of corporations and movie studios, it's very hard to get projects made that feature diverse sets and representations of characters. Historically, there has been a dearth of minority animated characters, and so Disney has little to draw on for their live action projects. Moreover, when movies are made with minority characters, but by people who don't understand and can't write those characters, the movies tend to be pretty poor. For instance, Disney had it's first black princess in 2009, but the story was bad, the musical pieces forgettable and that princess spent a significant portion of the movie as an animal.

If a character's race has little bearing on their motivations, behavior, background, or the plot of their story, I don't think much of an issue should be made when racially diverse iterations of those characters are presented in media within reason. Halle Bailey as Ariel is a great casting, and the skin color of the character doesn't affect the story or the character much at all. We're not talking about Brave where the protagonist is Scottish or Frozen where she is Scandanavian. Ariel is a mermaid...

Last edited by MaxFly : 07-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #40
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
I think if they ever make a new Hulk movie, he should be blue. Why should he be green when we can remake him as a blue character so that we can appease those who like the color blue more so than green, as that viewer base that likes blue is obviously under represented since the original hulk wasn't the color of their choosing.

Sometimes you just have to point and laugh at the stupidity of it all.

Maybe we should get some pale white person with red hair who's of Irish decent play Jasmine if they ever made an Aladdin movie. Let's "mix it up" because that's the new cool thing to do apparently.
They did a live action remake of Aladdin with Will Smith as the genie, the actress playing Jasmin looked Arabic though. But I agree, stop changing the race/sex of the original character just to appease the SJWs...how cringe if the ever make a live action movie of Brave with the Scottish red headed girl now an African American

Last edited by TheMan : 07-09-2019 at 11:57 AM.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #41
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

I am still offended that DC decided to make all the heroes in their universe into complete and utter ******s
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #42
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
I am still offended that DC decided to make all the heroes in their universe into complete and utter ******s
Ah the nerd in all of us ...you're a DC fan? My faves were the Uncanny X-Men growing up and although they made a couple of good X-Men movies, 20th Century Fox has tore a new a-hole into that franchise, the new X-Men movie sucked but at least Storm is still black

Marvel now owns the rights to the X-Men, hopefully they'll do that franchise justice...
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #43
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Ah the nerd in all of us ...you're a DC fan? My faves were the Uncanny X-Men growing up and although they made a couple of good X-Men movies, 20th Century Fox has tore a new a-hole into that franchise, the new X-Men movie sucked but at least Storm is still black

Marvel now owns the rights to the X-Men, hopefully they'll do that franchise justice...

LOL fuck no im not a DC fan... they have fans?

Fox def made some shitty x-men movies, but their original X-men 1&2 (the Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen films) were pretty damn good, and Logan was one of the best comic book films ever made (imo).

Last edited by Nanners : 07-09-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #44
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
They did a live action remake of Aladdin with Will Smith as the genie, the actress looked playing Jasmin looked Arabic though. But I agree, stop changing the race/sex of the original character just to appease the SJWs...how cringe if the ever make a live action movie of Brave with the Scottish red headed girl now an African American

Again, changes in race that materially affect the background, motivations, behavior or story of a character should be avoided. However, Ariel's depiction as white in the animated version has very little significance to the character or the story, nor did the race of the genie in Aladdin. In fact, on Broadway, the genie has often been played by a black actor.

Brave is set in medieval Scotland with Scottish characters in a medieval Scottish society. The Scottishness of the character is intrinsic to the protagonist, the legend, and to the story as a whole. The story and setting would need to be changed significantly in order to cast actors of a different race, and it is unlikely Disney would do that since Brave is a new story told with the intent of highlighting the characters' Scottish roots and Scottish legend in general.

Surely people are intelligent enough to pick up on the not-so-opaque nuance of when the race of a character in an entertainment medium is and is not important, right?

We've been depicting Jesus as white, blonde, blue eyed man for generations, across a number of mediums, in spite of the obvious inaccuracy. When past calls and attempts have been made to present him as a Middle-Eastern individual of a first century Jewish hue, we've also heard the same "social justice warrior!" complaints. It seems like "SJW!" is an easy complaint that people fall back to when there isn't logically, well developed reasoning behind the opposition. It reminds me of the backlash we saw when Rue was depicted as black in the Hunger Games movies and the outrage and "SJW!" claims that followed... only for the author of the series to come out and underscore that fact that she was written as black in the book, and that her description of Rue in the book should have made that clear. There's a lot of people crying wolf when you hear "SJW!!!!!"
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #45
tpols
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This is right out the Paul Mooney sketch
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: