Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #76
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where The Slime Live
Posts: 20,510
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Yo for fans of Traditional Heavy Metal, check out this Youtube channel for some tons of New Wave stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCG...ph8Grazqmo7z4w
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #77
Overdrive
Great college starter
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,523
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Electric Wizard
Orange Goblin

Doctor Smoke
Alastor
Devil’s Witches
Void Tripper
Mephistofeles

Orange Goblin is nice, but Electric Wizards sound like some 13 year old edgelords, who just found their dad's Master of Reality and try to cover "Lord of this world" and "Into the void" over and over.

I'll check out the others.

2 bands I recently discovered in that mold are Lucifer and Mammoth Mammoth, who are like a doomy Motörhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
I had a feeling a few of you would select Black Sabbath and I can’t tell ya how overrated of a band they are in terms of the heavy metal genre. Dio-era Sabbath > Ozzy-era.

Black Sabbath is the band that laid out how a metal riff should sound. That was the blueprint for a decade. The are rightly rated. They're the birth of heavy metal and anyone who denies this is a fool. No other band was this heavy that early.

Others paved the way with certain techniques, like Ritchie's "Hard loving man" being the origin of the metal gallopp, but Sabbath had it all.

Iommi already got lazy during the Dio period. He's the better singer, but the material was way weaker. Actually dig among Dio's bands I dig Elf and Rainbow the most.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Ah, another metalhead.

Atheist is ****ing absurd.

Definately one of the best progressive Death bands. Loved them when I was younger. Death is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquish
Hard to pick one band since I listen to so many. If I had to pick a couple favorites from the main subgenres I'd go with something like this:

Traditional - Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden
Thrash - Overkill, Kreator
Black - Moonsorrow, Drudkh
Death - Incantation, Atheist
Power - Symphony X, Savatage
Prog - Dream Theater, Leprous
Doom - Candlemass, Trouble

Finally someone who mentions Overkill, awesome band. Prefer them, Death Angel, Testament(finally saw them live last month), Kreator, Sodom among others over the so highly touted Anthrax.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
I didn’t first hear of Glenn Hughes until the DEP Sessions record with Tony. Man what pipes that guy has. He truly fits well with Iommi to be honest. That shit band he’s in now is straight garbage.

You mean Black Country Communion? They're a cheesy supergroup and I really don't dig Bonamassa, but their 4th album has same good riffing. The first 3 albums are wack though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
How about White Zombie?

Never grabbed me, but I love Rob Zombie. Kinda weird.


Overall there are so many nice bands. The name dropping wouldn't stop.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #78
Bawkish
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 987
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Polyphonic had a good vid on the evolution of Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIf_KVNsqg

Beatles' Helter Skelter seemed originated the controlled chaos style of "heavy sound" that transposed to Metal.

Paul responded to The Who's Pete Townsend challenge that he's gonna write the "heaviest sound" to date

Last edited by Bawkish : 07-16-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Bawkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #79
Bawkish
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 987
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
La Sexorcisto is their best album. Easily. Check that one out first. You can really hear the bass on the album too which isn’t always the case in metal, sadly.

i thought Astro Creep 2000 is way better than La Sexocisto

it encapsulate the whole "funky metal" that White Zombie is famous for

Last edited by Bawkish : 07-16-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Bawkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:53 AM   #80
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where The Slime Live
Posts: 20,510
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Black Sabbath is the band that laid out how a metal riff should sound. That was the blueprint for a decade. The are rightly rated. They're the birth of heavy metal and anyone who denies this is a fool. No other band was this heavy that early.

Others paved the way with certain techniques, like Ritchie's "Hard loving man" being the origin of the metal gallopp, but Sabbath had it all.

Iommi already got lazy during the Dio period. He's the better singer, but the material was way weaker. Actually dig among Dio's bands I dig Elf and Rainbow the most.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ard_rock_music

Check that link out. Pretty cool history.


Everyone talks about the "Trinity", but you have to include groups like Jimi and Rush in there as well.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #81
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash
 
HylianNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,402
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
If you truly had such diverse musical taste you wouldn't call any genre of music 99% garbage.

Metal is such a diverse genre, you got sludge-stoner doom metal which is really really simple all the way to hyper technical progressive metal where the musicianship is literally on par with any guitar player, drummer, bassist, etc. to have ever played. A lot of true virtuosos gravitate towards classical, jazz, and metal of all things, and there is a reason why.

You just can't lump it all into one field. Iron Maiden sounds nothing like GnR who sounds nothing like Meshuggah who sounds nothing like pantera, etc.
It's crazy how in 2019 people still lump metal into one genre.
Like you said rings of Saturn, shadow of intent, angelmaker, Lorna shore. All these tech death namda literally can play at light speed and they would just get lumped in with ****ing Pantera

I realized when I was 14 years old that mainstream radio music is lyrically and especially musically garbage in comparison to music that you have to dig a little deeper for
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #82
Overdrive
Great college starter
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,523
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ard_rock_music

Check that link out. Pretty cool history.


Everyone talks about the "Trinity", but you have to include groups like Jimi and Rush in there as well.

The trinity, I guess Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Hendrix are with the exception of Black Sabbath protometal. Black Sabbath is the band were most music jounalists, historians and musicians can put their finger on and say they're the first, who definately were heavy metal.

Rush' debut album is from 1974.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #83
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,364
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
It's crazy how in 2019 people still lump metal into one genre.
Like you said rings of Saturn, shadow of intent, angelmaker, Lorna shore. All these tech death namda literally can play at light speed and they would just get lumped in with ****ing Pantera

I realized when I was 14 years old that mainstream radio music is lyrically and especially musically garbage in comparison to music that you have to dig a little deeper for

Playing music at light speed doesn't make it good. It's mostly jerking your instrument off when you play that way. You scoff at Pantera, but they're better. Less technical, but much more musical.

Also it doesn't imply that it's all the same to say that most of it sucks.

And congrats on saying something that every 14yo who is exposed to music would say. I'm sure your understanding of musical and lyrical quality at 14 was very sophisticated.

Does anyone else find it interesting how many metal bands seem obsessed with Saturn? Why that planet, specifically?
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #84
Relinquish
Great college starter
 
Relinquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,541
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

An album from the same year as Sabbath’s debut/Paranoid that is heavy as fk and kicks ass is Lucifer’s Friend - Lucifer’s Friend. Underrated band with John Lawton on vocals who was in Uriah Heep at one point. I feel it doesn’t get talked about enough, but it was very heavy for 1970. Also Led Zeppelin ripped off LF’s Ride In The Sky with Immigrant Song.

Last edited by Relinquish : 07-16-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Relinquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #85
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,364
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
The trinity, I guess Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Hendrix are with the exception of Black Sabbath protometal. Black Sabbath is the band were most music jounalists, historians and musicians can put their finger on and say they're the first, who definately were heavy metal.

Rush' debut album is from 1974.

If you want to go down that route, I think influences can be noticed in the Kinks (first band to use power chords primarily over triads), Cream (first band I'm aware of who really focused on showcasing the soloing and skills of the individual musicians), and perhaps even the velvet underground for their dark and controversial topics. None of these are metal, but like you said, neither was Zeppelin.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #86
Relinquish
Great college starter
 
Relinquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,541
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
If you want to go down that route, I think influences can be noticed in the Kinks (first band to use power chords primarily over triads), Cream (first band I'm aware of who really focused on showcasing the soloing and skills of the individual musicians), and perhaps even the velvet underground for their dark and controversial topics. None of these are metal, but like you said, neither was Zeppelin.

Blue Cheer as well.
Relinquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #87
Overdrive
Great college starter
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,523
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquish
An album from the same year as Sabbath’s debut/Paranoid that is heavy as fk and kicks ass is Lucifer’s Friend - Lucifer’s Friend. Underrated band with John Lawton on vocals who was in Uriah Heep at one point. I feel it doesn’t get talked about enough, but it was very heavy for 1970. Also Led Zeppelin ripped off LF’s Ride In The Sky with Immigrant Song.

Awesome album, but they changed their sound too often. I guess that's the reason for them being mostly unknown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
If you want to go down that route, I think influences can be noticed in the Kinks (first band to use power chords primarily over triads), Cream (first band I'm aware of who really focused on showcasing the soloing and skills of the individual musicians), and perhaps even the velvet underground for their dark and controversial topics. None of these are metal, but like you said, neither was Zeppelin.

Of course. Influences of later metal can be tracked to Bach, Paganini and the likes. That's why "definately" is so important.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #88
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,364
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Of course. Influences of later metal can be tracked to Bach, Paganini and the likes. That's why "definately" is so important.

The development section of the first movement of Eroica by Beethoven is pretty f*cking metal when you give it an honest listen. Bach was technical but Beethoven was actually heavy.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #89
Overdrive
Great college starter
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,523
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
The development section of the first movement of Eroica by Beethoven is pretty f*cking metal when you give it an honest listen. Bach was technical but Beethoven was actually heavy.

Yeah, if we get to later composers there's alot of heavy stuff to be found. I just took two baroque names as I feel they're first to have an influence on metal. Beethoven's 7th is superb metal.

But imo the Dies Irae section of Verdi's Requiem is the heaviest most dense piece of music ever bar none. Not even a close second.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #90
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,364
Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Yeah, if we get to later composers there's alot of heavy stuff to be found. I just took two baroque names as I feel they're first to have an influence on metal. Beethoven's 7th is superb metal.

But imo the Dies Irae section of Verdi's Requiem is the heaviest most dense piece of music ever bar none. Not even a close second.

First time I'm hearing that piece. Romantic era composers were pretty badass.

I still think Eroica was the "first" in a way. Can you think of anything before that symphony which brought that distinct heaviness? I think it's no coincidence this was the first thing Beethoven wrote after coming to terms with his impending hearing loss and the famous "I will seize fate by the throat." Chills.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy