Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
bada bing
College star

Default Battlestar Galactica finale

i dont expect many replies to this thread....but wanted to know the few that do watch this show (there were a few here) how they felt about the 2 hour series finale?

I thought it was amazing and sad at the same time. Starbucks an angel? I thought the whole 150,000 years into our future was sick. I really loved it and there were moments that were just amazing on the finale. The part where starbuck realizes her purpose and puts in the codes was one of the best...the whole music playing and realizing what her destiny is.

I love this show...perhaps one of the best shows i have ever seen on tv. PERIOD. I love how they connected science with religion and showed it in a positive manner....If anyone hasn't seen this show, i suggest you get on it....watch the pilot and if you dont like it you can stop.

anyways, anyone still active here that saw the finale?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica finale

loved the finale, wrapped up a whole lotta things for me. at the beginning of the series i always suspected that the bsg universe took place in our ancient history, thus names like apollo, athena, etc. sad to see the show end but it was the right thing to do. a few things didnt make sense to me tho, like wtf would adama want to go live like a hermit?
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
bada bing
College star

yea i didn't understand the Adama leaving part. Where was he going? just to live alone by himself?

loved the part where chief killed torri. I really wanted to see her die and loved it the way she was chocked out by chief. Cavil killing himself was very funny.."oh frak this" commits suicide. lol
Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
rezznor
Nosetradamus

cavill eating his gun was hilarious and unexpected. i also loved chief losing it and snapping tori's kneck, i always hated her character. another thing i didnt get was how was hera so important to humanity? yeah, i understand that she was "mitichodrial eve", but humanity seemed like it could have survived just fine without her once they found earth2.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
bada bing
College star

the thing is, HERA is a product of a cylon and a human. There were cylons and humans among the survivors. So all of us today, might have some cylon blood within us.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

loved the finale and dont know how they could have done any better with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
cavill eating his gun was hilarious and unexpected. i also loved chief losing it and snapping tori's kneck, i always hated her character. another thing i didnt get was how was hera so important to humanity?

for real on both of those. I could never stand Tori and was glad to see her finally get her comeuppance.

I also am not too sure about why the hell Hera is really that important but I'm sure I'll catch more when I watch it again. I was watching it with people who had never seen the show and they were asking so many questions I know I missed some things.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
the thing is, HERA is a product of a cylon and a human. There were cylons and humans among the survivors. So all of us today, might have some cylon blood within us.
yeah, i know that, i get that. i see hera as being more important to the cylons, since the humans can obviously reproduce. i guess she can be considered important as maybe a vehicle to get the cylons and humans to live in peace.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
yeah, i know that, i get that. i see hera as being more important to the cylons, since the humans can obviously reproduce. i guess she can be considered important as maybe a vehicle to get the cylons and humans to live in peace.

she has broken the cycle of events. What has happened before may NOT happen again. We have a product of a human with a cylon....broke the chain of events.....I think thats what they were going for.

also to add, i loved the end where they showed the 'real' jimmy hendrix music with our present day toy robots.....

Adama sitting there next to Roslyn's grave and talking was just a perfect ending for the show. They really went through a lot and now finally they get some peace. Also, I kind of feel bad for Lee. He seems to be all alone now. His wife, his dad, and starbuck have all gone....the 3 people he was close too...i dont know, the whole starbuck thing kinda felt sad.

people are hating the finale for how they ended starbuck but i liked it...it lives a sense of emptiness...i liked what they did with starbuck.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Kujo
Local High School Star

I have mixed feeling's about it to be honest. Some of it was good, bad, and flat out horrible.

I absolutely hated the early flashback scenes to Caprica. Scenes of Adama and Tigh getting drunk at a strip club? WTH? Completely worthless. These flashbacks should have been done much earlier in the series if at all. If this is how series "Caprica" will be, I may not watch it at all.

The stuff in space was done very well for the most part, and was highly entertaining.

Boomer once again doing another double cross was pathetic imho, as it's basically become a running joke on the show. Hera should have been recovered another way.

Loved the scene when Tyrol learned what happened to Callie. Well done.

The Starbuck mystery was never really explained. Yeah, I get her final mission was to lead them back to a habitable planet, but what exactly was she? Her just disappearing was a total cop out, and lame imho.

Overall, the final season was a huge a letdown. Most of the eps were basically soap opera's, and poorly written. I would say out of the final 10 eps, only maybe 2-4 were good.

Last edited by Kujo : 03-22-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Kute

Fattleturd Gaylactica
Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo
I have mixed feeling's about it to be honest. Some of it was good, bad, and flat out horrible.

I absolutely hated the early flashback scenes to Caprica. Scenes of Adama and Tigh getting drunk at a strip club? WTH? Completely worthless. These flashbacks should have been done much earlier in the series if at all. If this is how series "Caprica" will be, I may not watch it at all.

The stuff in space was done very well for the most part, and was highly entertaining.

Boomer once again doing another double cross was pathetic imho, as it's basically become a running joke on the show. Hera should have been recovered another way.

Loved the scene when Tyrol learned what happened to Callie. Well done.

The Starbuck mystery was never really explained. Yeah, I get her final mission was to lead them back to a habitable planet, but what exactly was she? Her just disappearing was a total cop out, and lame imho.

Overall, the final season was a huge a letdown. Most of the eps were basically soap opera's, and poorly written. I would say out of the final 10 eps, only maybe 2-4 were good.

from what i understood, Starbuck was an angel just like head baltar and head six. I think she might have been in everyone's head and not really there just like head six and baltar. Her purpose was done so she was gone....

the flashbacks were really good. This show has primarily been character driven since season 1. It reinforced that in the final season and showed how it all began....the strip club scene showed Adama deciding if he should get a desk job or not....showed Tigh with his wife and them talking about being together....it connected the very beginning to the very end. Showed Roselyn's decision to get into politics which led her to battlestar galactica.....all those flashbacks connected the characters to the very end...i absolutely loved it and it really was consistent with what this show has been for 4 seasons.

Last edited by bada bing : 03-22-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Kujo
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
from what i understood, Starbuck was an angel just like head baltar and head six. I think she might have been in everyone's head and not really there just like head six and baltar. Her purpose was done so she was gone....

the flashbacks were really good. This show has primarily been character driven since season 1. It reinforced that in the final season and showed how it all began....the strip club scene showed Adama deciding if he should get a desk job or not....showed Tigh with his wife and them talking about being together....it connected the very beginning to the very end. Showed Roselyn's decision to get into politics which led her to battlestar galactica.....all those flashbacks connected the characters to the very end...i absolutely loved it and it really was consistent with what this show has been for 4 seasons.

Scenes with Adama vomiting (totally unnecessary), and Tigh yelling "yeahhhhhhhhhh" while in strip club in order to tell us whether or not Adama would take a desk job or go on to become an Admiral?

It took Roselyn sleeping with an ex-student in to get her to realize she wanted to get into politics? WTH? I think her family dying should have been enough. This all could have been done a million times better. Horrible writing imho.

Yeah, I get that Starbuck was supposed to be angel, but I just didn't like the way it was ultimately resolved, or should I say unresolved?

BSG was great the first 5.5 seasons. I think I'll remember BSG as the series that could have been the best Sci-Fi series ever if it was for the last half of the final season.

Last edited by Kujo : 03-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo
Scenes with Adama vomiting (totally unnecessary), and Tigh yelling "yeahhhhhhhhhh" while in strip club in order to tell us whether or not Adama would take a desk job or go on to become an Admiral?

It took Roselyn sleeping with an ex-student in to get her to realize she wanted to get into politics? WTH? I think her family dying should have been enough. This all could have been done a million times better. Horrible writing imho.

Yeah, I get that Starbuck was supposed to be angel, but I just didn't like the way it was ultimately resolved, or should I say unresolved?

BSG was great the first 5.5 seasons. I think I'll remember BSG as the series that could have been the best Sci-Fi series ever if it was for the last half of the final season.

I really liked the depiction of Adama before the fall. He was a worn down war vet who was hitting rock bottom. Aside from his friendship with Tigh and Starbuck, his personal life is in shambles. His only son won't speak to him, his wife has left him and now the military is giving him the heave ho with a degrading sendoff in an old, outdated ship. Him falling apart and vomiting all over himself provided a stark contrast to how bad ass the man becomes once he is forced into action.

Tigh screaming at strippers was funny as hell to me. It showed the mean cuss can actually be fun when off the ship.

I saw Laura and the student a little differently. After her family is killed she is reaching out for anything to make her happy and even though she is flattered a younger guy would want on she realizes that she is just kidding herself and would rather do something of importance over indulging herself in relationships that are likely to end in more pain for her in the end.

Also, with Starbuck, I think they were going for a sort of Angel of Death Gabriel/Michael allusion crossed with some aspects of Jesus and the Egyptian Christ like god Horus (which would explain her tattoo of the bird wing that syncs with Anders when they hold each other). I of course would have rather had what her deal was more fully explained but it considering her behavior throughout the series it made sense to me to leave her a bit of a mystery. I mean, who the hell ever knew was going on in her head anyways?

I really liked this last season though. Certainly it was much better than the bulk of season 3 when the Sci Fi Channel tried to force them into being a more non episodic type show.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I really liked the depiction of Adama before the fall. He was a worn down war vet who was hitting rock bottom. Aside from his friendship with Tigh and Starbuck, his personal life is in shambles. His only son won't speak to him, his wife has left him and now the military is giving him the heave ho with a degrading sendoff in an old, outdated ship. Him falling apart and vomiting all over himself provided a stark contrast to how bad ass the man becomes once he is forced into action.

Tigh screaming at strippers was funny as hell to me. It showed the mean cuss can actually be fun when off the ship.

I saw Laura and the student a little differently. After her family is killed she is reaching out for anything to make her happy and even though she is flattered a younger guy would want on she realizes that she is just kidding herself and would rather do something of importance over indulging herself in relationships that are likely to end in more pain for her in the end.

Also, with Starbuck, I think they were going for a sort of Angel of Death Gabriel/Michael allusion crossed with some aspects of Jesus and the Egyptian Christ like god Horus (which would explain her tattoo of the bird wing that syncs with Anders when they hold each other). I of course would have rather had what her deal was more fully explained but it considering her behavior throughout the series it made sense to me to leave her a bit of a mystery. I mean, who the hell ever knew was going on in her head anyways?

I really liked this last season though. Certainly it was much better than the bulk of season 3 when the Sci Fi Channel tried to force them into being a more non episodic type show.

agreed. thats what i loved about this show - mixing religion with science. There were no sides in the show. There was justification for every side and you could feel sympathy for anyone - even people like Torry and Giaus Balter. They were clearly shown as being more evil but their justification for being such was honest and to some degree correct.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: