Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How is George Mikan not top 10 if Bill Russell is?

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly
    From the late '40s to early '60s, being honest, Pettit was the best center out of himself, Mikan, and Russell.

Pettit had scrubs surrounding him and led his team to intervene Celtic's dynasty.

Mikan was the prototype of the first elite center. But the thing is, he isn't one of the greatest.
    Pettit was not a career center in the NBA. If you've ever thought that, you're mistaken. Pettit even explains in detail in a few interviews how he became a forward in the NBA, how it was immediate - and who the centers were on his teams.

Charlie Share, Clyde Lovellette, and Zelmo Beatty.

None of them were ever forwards, and when they were on the floor Pettit was not a center. Pettit had the flexibility to play center, in the same way Dirk does. But Pettit played forward, from my understanding the same way and frequency Dirk plays forward throughout his career.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 09-25-2015 at 10:41 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Just to add a bit of color, but mikan is one of the most influential players, but best...he's a dead ball baseball player. I have no idea what to do with that, but great? Oh he's great!

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Pettit was not a career center in the NBA. If you've ever thought that, you're mistaken. Pettit even explains in detail in a few interviews how he became a forward in the NBA, how it was immediate - and who the centers were on his teams.

Charlie Share, Clyde Lovellette, and Zelmo Beatty.

None of them were ever forwards, and when they were on the floor Pettit was not a center. Pettit had the flexibility to play center, in the same way Dirk does. But Pettit played forward, from my understanding the same way and frequency Dirk plays forward throughout his career.
    Pettit played center against Russell, so I'm just using that.

What hurt Mikan in the long term was his overall career numbers and longevity. He only played seven years in the NBA. And the league was only in its infancy. As time went on for centers, u simply had too many guys that came along. Russell won FAR MORE RINGS than Mikan. And in general Russ's game would translate more to today's game. GOAT status factors solo accolades, team accolades, numbers, peak value, longevity being great, and overall impact. If Mikan had more dominant career numbers, then he would have been rated much higher.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Pollack?

Thats a weird inclusion. No Bird/Magic but including a stats guy?

All you can do is compare players to the rest of their peers. And for that, Mikan was an all time great. The reason he isn't listed on every top 10 list is because the game looked so different back then.
    I was attempting to make a "mount rushmore" of pioneers, essentially. Magic helped bring us Showtime, so maybe he should be included. But not Bird. Bird was phenomenal, a top tier talent, but not necessarily a pioneer.

I can actually remember hearing about Mikan as a kid from my friends grandfather. It got brought up from us collecting cards and he said he had a Mikan rookie card when he was younger and how much it would be worth if he had it today but nobody thought to keep it back then. Truth be told, I knew about Mikan before I knew who Bill Russell was. Its so hard to compare eras for any competitive sport. The game has evolved so much since 1948. So many rule changes, medical and enhancement improvements, etc.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Interesting. Do you have a source? If this is true I wouldn't doubt it. Russell is the anointed one and Wilt is hated in the media back than and to this day. Russell was a great player especially defensively and his leadership, but I could not put him top 10. Mikan was a great player, but because he was pre-shot clock I have some reservations. I think he was highly skilled, that can't be argued. Rules have changed, look at today's game with no carry rules and otherwise.
    Hey Senelcoolidge, I don't have a source other than historically he was trumped up before the statement and wasn't afterwards. Lazeruss might remember the quote.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Hey Senelcoolidge, I don't have a source other than historically he was trumped up before the statement and wasn't afterwards. Lazeruss might remember the quote.
    Thanks. I haven't seen Laz around these boards in days. I hope he can give us some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly
    Pettit played center against Russell, so I'm just using that.
    But you are wrong brother. Pettit perfect fit to be power forward. Centesr are the center in the game. Pettit mobile player like Dirk.