Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: NCAA March Madness thread

Who would've thunk the school that has produced by far the most NBA stars since 2010 would also have the best record in march/April

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    Who would've thunk the school that has produced by far the most NBA stars since 2010 would also have the best record in march/April
    I know right. Dude is breaking ground here.

LOOK GUYS, THE TEAM THAT HAS THE MOST TALENT REALLY DOES DA BESSSS

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Ok, I've thought about this alot. I'm gonna hedge my bets and have my updated integrity pick, adapted for the loss of UVA, and my adjusted pick, which is who I think will actually go the FF, regardless of staying true to my original picks. I'm still sticking to 1 non-blue team.

Integrity pick (updated)
    Kansas State
    Michigan
    West Virginia
    Kansas

Adjusted pick
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Texas Tech
    Kansas

Gonna still pick Michigan to win it all for both.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Ladies and gentlemen....

The records speak for themselves.
    Great record, no doubt. But that's a lot of tourneys he got far and didn't win it. Dude still has just 1 ring...

Cal has the same number of championships as Kevin Ollie.

Why did so many experts pick Davidson to upset UK?

Then the experts picked Buffalo to upset UK.

Now all of a sudden, UK is the favorite and anything short of a FF is a disaster.

Its funny how quickly the narrative changes, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    Great record, no doubt. But that's a lot of tourneys he got far and didn't win it. Dude still has just 1 ring...
    And I thought UK fans were demanding...

I'm satisfied with 7 Elite Eights in 9 years. I would think expecting anything more is unreasonable. I don't believe a single other team in college basketball can say the same thing over the last 9 years.

So, I expect them to be in the conversation every year by season's end, and they are. To expect them to win multiple titles is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I know right. Dude is breaking ground here.

LOOK GUYS, THE TEAM THAT HAS THE MOST TALENT REALLY DOES DA BESSSS
    I thought these were the best teams...

Seth Greenberg’s Final Four: Virginia, Michigan, Villanova, Michigan State.

Jeff Goodman’s Final Four: Arizona, Xavier, Villanova, Kansas.

Joe Lunardi’s Final Four: Virginia, Michigan State, West Virginia, Gonzaga.

John Thompson III’s Final Four: Arizona, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan State.

Dick Vitale’s Final Four: Virginia, Gonzaga, Villanova, Michigan State.

Jay Williams’s Final Four: Arizona, Gonzaga, Villanova, Michigan State.
    So did they.

So what is it?

They're the best team just none of the 'experts' wanted to pick the best team? Did you pick them going to the Championship game? Of course not, so even you don't think they're the best team.

I wasn't aware UK had this type of pedigree around the country. UK was an 8 seed in 2014, were they the best team then, too? Did the tournament committee just seed them entirely wrong? They were a 4 seed in 2016? Best team or nah?
    Last edited by UK2K; 03-20-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

To expect them to win multiple titles is laughable.
    Why? It’s Kentucky. And it’s arguably the best recruiter in the history of college bball.

If one-and-done is your retort, please. Even Coach K has won a couple titles in this one-and-done era w/ his teams relying primarily on freshmen. Roy Williams has won multiple titles at UNC relying on less talent.

A year is plenty of time to build synergy w/ a bunch of new players. Cal has already done it. What’s to stop him from doing it again?

I mean, I’m not even a ring-worshipper tool like others are here. And I understand it’s college bball and the amount of top-tier programs is high. But don’t act like Cal is head and shoulders above the rest just b/c he’s won a lot of NCAA tourney games, when he’s always had the most talented teams, but other coaches have won more titles in his time at UK.

I still wanna throw Cal a bone here, tho. I'm not trying to shit on him. Rather than his record, I’d just show off the Final Fours he’s been to instead. Sure the record implies deep runs, therefore Final Fours. But saying he has the most Final Fours during his UK tenure is the most impressive.

edit:
    I thought these were the best teams...

So did they.

So what is it?

They're the best team just none of the 'experts' wanted to pick the best team? Did you pick them going to the Championship game? Of course not, so even you don't think they're the best team.

I wasn't aware UK had this type of pedigree around the country. UK was an 8 seed in 2014, were they the best team then, too? Did the tournament committee just seed them entirely wrong? They were a 4 seed in 2016? Best team or nah?
    Even if you're being sarcastic, you're also strawmanning. Imdaman was referring to UK talent since 2010. Not 2017-18 UK's playing results or UK from any other year.

And you know seeds are based primarily on results of the whole season, the resume. Not actual talent. You can be the most talented and still not play as the best team during the regular or post seasons. And those "experts" thought UK wasn't going to play the best. Not that they weren't the most talented.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 03-20-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Why? It’s Kentucky. And it’s arguably the best recruiter in the history of college bball.

If one-and-done is your retort, please. Even Coach K has won a couple titles in this one-and-done era w/ his teams relying primarily on freshmen. Roy Williams has won multiple titles at UNC relying on less talent.

A year is plenty of time to build synergy w/ a bunch of new players. Cal has already done it. What’s to stop him from doing it again?

I mean, I’m not even a ring-worshipper tool like others are here. And I understand it’s college bball and the amount of top-tier programs is high. But don’t act like Cal is head and shoulders above the rest just b/c he’s won a lot of NCAA tourney games, when he’s always had the most talented teams, but other coaches have won more titles in his time at UK.

I still wanna throw Cal a bone here, tho. I'm not trying to shit on him. Rather than his record, I’d just show off the Final Fours he’s been to instead. Sure the record implies deep runs, therefore Final Fours. But saying he has the most Final Fours during his UK tenure is the most impressive.
    Oh, he's absolutely not. But his tournament resume (in the SEC and the NCAA) speaks for itself.

Again... 'most talented'? Yeah, I don't think so. Has he had a lot of talent some years? Of course. But for every Anthony Davis or Karl Towns, there's an Archie Goodwin or Daniel Orton.

You likely only watch the final product come March, but if you followed this team year in and year out, you'd be hard pressed to argue they've had 'the most talent' in all but maybe one or two years.

edit:

Even if you're being sarcastic, you're also strawmanning. Imdaman was referring to UK talent since 2010. Not 2017-18 UK's playing results or UK from any other year.

And you know seeds are based primarily on results of the whole season, the resume. Not actual talent. You can be the most talented and still not play as the best team during the regular or post seasons. And those "experts" thought UK wasn't going to play the best. Not that they weren't the most talented.
    I didn't know he specified a certain team, or year.

So let me get this straight... you argue UK has 'the most talent' therefore, they should have won more championships.

Then you argue that you can have the most talent but not play the best?

So then you would agree talent doesn't equal success? Me too. Or does that only apply when it's Kentucky?

How many times has Duke flamed out as a 2 seed? Remember Leigh? We just saw North Carolina do the same thing. Do you know how many teams UK has lost to in the tournament to a team seeded more than one line below them? Zero. Cal is (now) 28-0 at UK in the tournament against teams at least two seeds below them. So what's the excuse for the Duke and North Carolina teams being upset nearly every single year?

They've got plenty of talent, right? But they still get upset as 2-seeds?
    Last edited by UK2K; 03-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Michigan makin it rain

Kentucky gettin rekt

Kentucky 😂

UK is a sham. They stack the team with tall lottery picks. And on top of that, they play extra home games!

There are no winners or losers in this game. The only losers are those who tuned into watch