Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 40% of Millennials OK with limiting speech offensive to minorities

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Come on dude, relax.

The gubment ain't gonna take your right to call Jews kikes, blacks niggers, latinos spics, chinese chinks, gays faggots etc etc...

So go ahead and use those words to your racist little heart's content. Just know that if you want to practice your right to free speech by calling me a wetback in person, don't act surprised if I respond by kicking your ass.

BTW, I don't agree with the government regulating that but as civilized persons (I would hope, though I'm not sure about the OP), we shouldn't go around in real life acting like the idiots most of us act like here (I'm talking to you Chewing).
    I find your post offensive. I'm reporting you to the government.

Good luck.

But seriously, what words would you make illegal? You make up your list, and I will make up mine, and Chewing can make up his list, and you, and you, and you.... Obama can come up with his list... We'll throw them all in a hat.

Let's see how many words we have left that are not offensive to anyone.
    Last edited by UK2K; 11-25-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    So the majority of your generation are cool with being offensive to minorities. What's your point?
    ^^ didn't read the article cause every generation believes the same.

It's actually my generation that is the LEAST cool with being offensive to minorities.
    Last edited by UK2K; 11-25-2015 at 09:15 AM.

I read it. If 40% aren't OK, then 60% must be OK with being offensive. Correct?

Decent playground baller

People act like small limits in freedom of speech would make America crumble. Plenty of countries make it illegal to use hateful language and they run fine.

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

And people used to laugh when they said, after leftists destroy the 2nd Amendment, they'll be coming for the 1st.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
    And people used to laugh when they said, after leftists destroy the 2nd Amendment, they'll be coming for the 1st.
    Righties are going after Muslims. I'm pretty sure they have the same rights as Christians, but the rights don't care.

So let me get this straight, you think it's ok for the public to say offensive things but then you and your ilk want to make threads over people getting offended by "I WILL NOT SELL TO A MOZLEM!" "ID BADGES ON EVERY MOZLEM HEHE" campaigns? Make up your mind.

I happen to think people can say whatever the hell they want, even if they are promoting hate. I also happen to believe people can get offended over ANYTHING as well. You want to have your cake, eat it, and then push my head in the cake after it.

I read it. If 40% aren't OK, then 60% must be OK with being offensive. Correct?
    Correct.

And if 15% of the older generation believe speech should be restricted, that means 85% must be OK with being offensive, correct?

So what point are you trying to make exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    So let me get this straight, you think it's ok for the public to say offensive things but then you and your ilk want to make threads over people getting offended by "I WILL NOT SELL TO A MOZLEM!" "ID BADGES ON EVERY MOZLEM HEHE" campaigns? Make up your mind.

I happen to think people can say whatever the hell they want, even if they are promoting hate. I also happen to believe people can get offended over ANYTHING as well. You want to have your cake, eat it, and then push my head in the cake after it.
    I've never made a thread about anyone who was offended.... and that was it.

I've seen threads made about people being offended, and then demanding ridiculous shit to 'make up for it'. Never seen a news report about anyone being offended and then saying 'oh well, I'll get over it'. Have you?

If you're going to try and throw out a strawman argument, at least your analogy needs to be somewhat related.

But it's not even about that. It's about government (whoever happens to be in charge at the time) determining certain speech is illegal. That, I do have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
    It seems more and more, to your average American as well as every politician, that the constitution and the bill of rights are more like guidelines.

The argument will be "but the times have changed". Wait and see. They'll say things like it's an old piece of paper or now it's outdated. Slowly but surely, what those documents mean will change ever so slightly to the point where they are irrelevant.

Those kids apparently don't understand the concept of free speech and how asking the government to step in and limit things they deem as "offensive" is far more damaging than the offense itself.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Well, i think it's pretty obvious that young people, taken as a whole, are extremely stupid, and prone to be captured by fads tinged with fanaticism (see the youth as the driving force behind Communist dogma in Eastern Europe, read pretty much any Milan Kundera novel, and the message is the same: that the young are petty tyrants who are not to be trusted, and when swept away by ideological mania, they become its most ardent and despicable disciples).

I just don't think this is true at all. One of the places where you are least able to speak your mind, and most beset on all sides by all sorts of conformity and showy moralising, is on a University campus. There might be uneducated blacks now upsetting free speech and disrupting rallies, but most of the impetus of this movement is coming from privileged, pampered, and over-educated (or perhaps poorly educated) white brats. To be honest, the uneducated seem far more likely to break these taboos than the educated, based on my experience - that is part of the problem ('they are stupid and intolerant so it is our right to shut them up') - maybe it starts that way, but it always ends up with the censoring of minority opinions. Hence why UCLs student union bans its Nietzsche society for 'fascism' or 'right-wing opinions' - while knowing nothing about the philosopher or the society, and allowing at the same time a thriving Islamic society that segregates its audiences in public debate, and whose former President tried to blow up a plane (and was known to encourage such acts while he was President of said society).

A large part of the problem seems to be a public education system is set on imbuing a sense of guilt into the population, probably because guilt is a useful mechanism of control, and can easily be used to manipulate people, their sentiments, allegiances, and opinions. Masochists always need the state to protect them, not just from others, but from their own weaknesses too.

This is simply totalitarianism dressed up as tolerance, but as it has become a kind of state ideology (supported by the 'educated' minions of the state - the young and dependent and indebted, those who will never receive social security themselves, but are the most willing defenders of it! Irony!), it isn't much regarded.
    The graph in the article is literally saying what I just said, so you're incorrect. Look at it. If you have a degree you are less likely to believe in censorship than if you have a high school diploma.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

Everyone has the right to get offended. But it is when you cross that line and attempt to stifle free speech that you then become an authoritarian asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    The graph in the article is literally saying what I just said, so you're incorrect. Look at it. If you have a degree you are less likely to believe in censorship than if you have a high school diploma.
    Per the Pew Research poll, this is correct.

Per the research, the more uneducated you are, the more likely it is you believe the government should be able to restrict free speech.

A young, female, democrat, uneducated hispanic is most likely to believe in curbing free speech, per their research.
    Last edited by UK2K; 11-25-2015 at 03:13 PM.

So the majority of your generation are cool with being offensive to minorities. What's your point?

You agree with the 40%? You think speech should be censored?

It's a loaded question in the poll (refers specifically towards minorities) designed to bait idiots.