Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #46
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

HoopWiz2008 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who's #1? Beasley vs. Rose.

Looking around the league, there's a shortage of star potential point guards and centers. Those position players remain a hot commodity. How many teams have star players or potential star players at the 2 or 3 position? Much more than team's that have a star player at the point guard or center position. Many would say that Beasley was the best player in college, but IMO, there's no question that Rose was the best player. He dominated two early predicted lottery picks in Augustin and Collison. He made those guys value drop from lottery to late first rounders. The NBA has 5 or 6 players that can be considered star players at the point guard position...Nash, Kidd, Paul, Parker, Deron Williams, and Baron Davis. The next best player is Andre Miller and Chauncey Billups. Point guards like Rose don't come around too often while players like Beasley, though will be a star or at least has great potential to be one, come around more often. For that reason, Rose is my #1 pick.
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #47
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanclone
you;re making Beasley sound like He doesnt have superstar potential....thats ludicrous and Beasley is the better prospect..

Beasley has the same skills as a Derrick Coleman times 2 , and Derrick Coleman half assing most of his career happened to be a 19 and 10 guy, Beasley has A Better Shot than Derrick Rose, He can dribble the ball like D-Rose, He has better athleticism , and hes been more consistent than D-Rose (26 and 12) and oh lets not forget he's 6'9 245

Well, I think Coleman was much better passer and had better range than Beasley. But then again, Coleman is being evaluated as a college player mostly based on what he was like as a senior, while Beasley was a freshman. Coleman is also taller, which can make a difference if you're a PF. But I think Beasley will become a better pro than Coleman because of his aggressiveness and better ability to finish near the basket.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #48
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
But he goes up against competition that is just as good as college players, it is just that while the players may not be as talented, the teams are better. Just look how those teams with "lesser" players have been beating the US. Look at a lot of the college players that go over there, some of the US stars in college don't do much. I can't so for sure, but I am sure NBA teams have seen Gallinari go up against the best of the best in European basketball.

Plus you can't assume that these guys aren't playing in the NBA because they aren't good enough. Watch some of those international tournaments and sure you have guys like Manu, Scola, and Raul Lopez that dominate, but there are other guys who are very good as well. Some guys don't want to come to the NBA. Then you have some guys like Scola who could have been playing in the NBA for the last 5 years waiting until he felt good enough where he had been to take on a new challenge and come to the NBA.

I just need to see them play other lottory players. This way i can acuretly evaluate him.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #49
Lord Leoshes
Local High School Star

Lord Leoshes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Well, I think Coleman was much better passer and had better range than Beasley. But then again, Coleman is being evaluated as a college player mostly based on what he was like as a senior, while Beasley was a freshman. Coleman is also taller, which can make a difference if you're a PF. But I think Beasley will become a better pro than Coleman because of his aggressiveness and better ability to finish near the basket.

He just better work on his defense, or else he will just be a liability on that end.
I just don't understand y everyone loves to see offense, But nobody cares about defense.
I guess it's just all the young naive fans.
Lord Leoshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #50
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Admiral has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy

Rose will step in and automatically be the most athletically gifted PG in the league. Beasley is no slouch by any means, but Rose? God damn, that kid is something else.

If I have the #1 though, I'm taking Beasley. Built like a tank, range out to the college 3 line (at least), quickness for his size, touch, and a very solid free throw shooter. 20+ and 10+ career averages in the League is a very realistic goal.

only problem is if you are a team that already has a gifted pg do you really want to draft someone that in 2 years you will have fights about playing time with?

same with beasley, if you already have a solid front court you don't want to crowd it and stifle the growth of either your new picks or your current players.

this is one of the more clear cut "it depends on what you need" arguments for a #1 pic in a while.

then again, being #1 doesn't mean a thing about how good you may or may not be over a year/career. there have been many "what if" situations in the last several years of drafts, so don't be sold on a "guarantee" of anyone being great/superstars...some may fall to great bench/role players
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: