Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 05-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #226
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

Garry Parrish: Hamidou Diallo is withdrawing from the NBA Draft and returning to Kentucky, a source told @CBSSports. – via Twitter
Draft, Hamidou Diallo

Adam Zagoria: Diallo never got a first – round guarantee, per source. Goal is to be a top 10 pick in 2018. – via Twitter AdamZagoria

Adam Zagoria: Brooklyn and Utah were the 2 most serious teams about drafting him in the 1st round but would not promise before midnight: Source. – via Twitter AdamZagoria

Adrian Wojnarowski: A GM enamored w/ Hamidou Diallo’s athleticism and potential said, “…Just isn’t enough of a body of work to make a commitment on him now.” – via Twitter WojVerticalNBA
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #227
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ntil-July.html
Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #228
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.slcdunk.com/2017/5/25/156...-dunk-redesign

Bring him home!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #229
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Not the worst target, especially if we move JJ on.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #230
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
Big man Kelly Olynyk, who rescued the Celtics with Game 7 heroics against Washington, is a restricted free agent, and while Boston does not want to lose him outright, a sizable offer from another team could price him out of the Celtics’ range. If possible, too, the Celtics would like to find a taker for big man Tyler Zeller, who is owed $8 million next season. – via Sporting New

I think he'd be a great fit too. Can shoot and pass. Doesn't rebound much. Like a young Diaw maybe?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #231
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
The Nuggets have all kinds of options, but there is a sense in NBA circles that the right offer for Barton would get real consideration, especially considering the Nuggets have so much depth to manage as things stand, swapping out Barton, drafting a new young guy and getting value in the moves might be smarter in the long run. – via Basketball Insiders

He could be a great get too!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #232
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44387055&nid...ealthy-in-utah

sounds pretty sweet!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #233
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nb...the-nba-draft/

Quote:
26. George Hill | PG | Utah Jazz
Would be in the top-15, but he's a free agent who is over 30, coming off his worst injury season of his career, looking for something close to a max deal. Like Holiday, why would a club pay top dollar for an aging player who isn't top ten at his position?

In November he was arguably top 10. That's why the Jazz need to keep him ideally.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #234
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...offseason.html

Quote:
In 2011, the Utah Jazz had a dilemma: What to do with their superstar? Deron Williams was 1 1/2 years away from unrestricted free agency. Do the Jazz ride it out and hope to sign him in the offseason or trade him so they won’t lose him for nothing?

Which was easily solved once Sloan quit. Too bad that took the 2nd offer on the table from the one team that knew he was available

Quote:
Why do the Jazz feel so comfortable in their ability to re-sign Hayward? The first reason is money.

He says it's all about winning though

Quote:
So, unlike last year when Kevin Durant didn’t have to sacrifice much money to leave OKC for Golden State,

Sure he did. OKC could pay him quite a bit more I believe. Not as much as the super max but plenty

Quote:
Playing with Gobert, the most dominating defensive big man in the league, doesn’t require Hayward to sacrifice offensive possessions like he would have to in Boston.

Not sure that's the case. Even if he was the 2nd option at the pace they play all his numbers might go up

Quote:
Utah is Hayward’s team

Gobert and Hayward's team now that Hayward finally proved his worth in the playoffs

Quote:
A team built around Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Butler and Hayward would be a super team out East and pretty hard to turn down.

That's why the Jazz need to sign someone like like Millsap. Add him to Gobert, Hayward and Hill and the Jazz are at least #4 easily

Quote:
After letting Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson go, the Jazz didn’t put together a team that would win much, and losing was hard for Hayward to take.

Millsap was let go to lose. Sadly they really have little to show for the tanking and could have kept Paul and Demarre instead

Quote:
Plus, the Jazz didn’t have the strongest head coach (Ty Corbin) at the time.

Could we stop with this? Getting a team built around Big Al to the playoffs and barely missing the other year is big time coaching to be frank. The guy really never had a fair shot at so get off his jock already!

Quote:
Basically being asked to lose was not something he was a fan of.

I thought it sucked too! Got to wonder what he thinks of them not really going all in yet after Rudy emerged?

Quote:
Another thing that may have rubbed Hayward the wrong way was Lindsey not offering him a max deal three years ago (a mistake they won’t make again) and having to go elsewhere to get the money he felt he deserved. The Jazz did match on that offer but this might have left a scar.

It's a left a scar on the Jazz. They might not have to look to re-sign him this year if they'd made the deal. Can't imagine he cares much. They told them to bring back an offer sheet and they would match. They did.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #235
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/26...n-free-agents/

Quote:
What Hayward opts to do with his unrestricted free agency will certainly influence the rest of Utah’s moves this summer, so he almost has to be the first domino to fall.

I'd think they'll be looking at doing something big before or on draft day to entice Hayward even more and once free agency starts they will go after some other max guys assuming they are still well under the cap after draft day. They can sign one of them first while still under the cap or possibly more than one player while under the cap. Got to make it impossibly for him to say no. Sounds like they are going to be a willing tax team. Get it done!

Quote:
For example, if Hayward, Hill and Ingles all re-sign at the dollar level that many presume they will, the Jazz likely wouldn’t be able to do much more financially than replace guys like Mack and Withey with draft picks or undrafted guys to fill those open roster spots.

I guess you weren't invited to the luncheon with Lindsey. Tax team! Looking to sign another guy! Need to let Ingles go along with Diaw and Johnson. This is what has killed Jazz teams forever! Hanging on to guys too long. Can't let emotional attachments to players get in front of business. The business now is beating GS plain and simple. Ingles and Johnson cost too much money and are too old for guys that didn't show up in that series.

Quote:
Of course, ideally the Jazz will be able to keep Hayward and at least one of either Hill or Ingles

like Hill and Ingles are comparable!

Quote:
Jeff Withey Replacement: Lavoy Allen

Have you watched the Jazz play ever? Withey was only on the team because he is a rim protector. Ideally they want guys that can shoot the 3 though. Allen does neither. Next!

Quote:
Allen does have more of a mid-range game than Withey

Does he? We didn't see it much from Jeff this year but he was certainly hitting face up shots a year ago from 15 in

Quote:
at six-foot-nine he would be undersized as a rim-protecting center

especially since he's not a rim protecting center. glad you put a lot of thought into this

Quote:
we’ll just look at Williams as a Mack replacement, which could be viable if both Mack and Hill leave in free agency and the Jazz decide to turn the point guard reins over to Dante Exum

If I'm Hayward and his agent I would want to know what their plan is. If they tell me Dante may end up starting the meeting would be over and I'd be off to sign a contract in Boston. Would be nice if the people writing these articles actually watched the games. What did you get from watching Dante that screams out to you NBA starter and not D-leaguer? I like the idea of Deron leading the 2nd unit just to hear the idiotic booing stop but the Starter better not be Exum!

Quote:
Of course replacing Ingles with Korver works best if Rodney Hood has an exceptional summer and is then able to be a reliable and consistent starter.

Hood needs to remain on the bench. They need a new starter. If Exum could defend without his hands and hit open 3's I'd say it could be him. Not sure Korver really is a great fit at this stage unless it's on the end of the bench

Quote:
the New Orleans Pelicans will be hard-pressed to find a better option at point guard, so it’s quite likely that they’ll extend him a rather lucrative offer.

If I'm him I'd want as far away from that mess as possible. His injury history scares me a lot more than Hill's does

Quote:
The thing I like the most about Holiday, though, is his passing and playmaking ability. His assists tell a significant story as he’s able to dish the ball out effectively and thus make his teammates better. Although Hill was a major improvement for the Jazz at the point guard spot, there were still times when Utah’s offense would go stagnant even with Hill running the show.

That’s where Holiday could be a major asset. He’s quicker than Hill and has the potential to help Utah’s offense hum and flow even more than its current starting point guard.

Not sure he's the fit that Hill is? Can he play off the ball? In Utah you need to be able to play with and without the ball. Spot up 3's. Handle. pass. defend. set screens... The Jazz are all about versatile players

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, just the thought alone of having to find a replacement for Gordon Hayward is depressing.

It would suck after he finally took it to another level in the playoffs. But Lindsey and Snyder want to build a system like the Spurs where you win regardless. With Snyder, Gobert and the Legacy Trust they are in great position to do that with or without Hayward. Him leaving might be a small step back but I can still see plenty of reason for hope without him.

Quote:
Utah will have to find a way to retool quickly to not waste some of the prime years of Rudy Gobert

Don't think he's hit his prime yet. Can't wait to see what a summer not playing for France will do to his game!

Quote:
the best choice available would likely be Rudy Gay

How do you figure an isolation player would be best for a passing team? I could see maybe Gay as a bench piece. Gallinari would make more sense

Quote:
try to fill the void left by Hayward’s absence by committee

That's what I see. Get Millsap. Keep Hill. That's still a top team. fill out the roster with some good vets and see what happens!

Quote:
If one thing is clear, it’s that the Utah Jazz have several decisions to make this offseason and, depending on how the dominoes fall, could have a completely revamped squad next year.

Based on what we saw against GS they need to make some big changes. Old vets that make a lot of money and didn't show up against GS and weren't injured need to go. Thanks and bye!

Quote:
Each of these five guys that I’ve mentioned are nothing more than best-case scenario replacements

Outside of Deron for Mack non were close to best case!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #236
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Bring-Down-Cap
Old 05-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #237
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Multiple league sources have told CSNNE.com in recent weeks that the Celtics are focused on landing an All-Star caliber talent in the frontcourt. That makes sense when you consider how guard-dominant the Celtics were this season and how that had a negative impact on the team’s rebounding and, to a lesser degree, their defense as a whole. – via CSNNE.com
Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #238
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44410709&nid...azz-at-workout

Quote:
Mitchell is a talented player. While he's only 6-foot-3, making him short for an NBA shooting guard, his measured 6-foot-10 wingspan

Sounds like their guy. Maybe they can move to get him somehow

Quote:
we're not a franchise that gives guarantees unless we're absolutely sure. And we're not absolutely sure.

I could have guessed that not that they would admit to it
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #239
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/28...ust-come-back/

Quote:
Looking beyond Gobert, the Jazz have a roster brimming with talented young players like Rodney Hood, Dante Exum and Trey Lyles. Each had their struggles last season, but they also present an opportunity for internal growth not present with Hayward’s other suitors.

Quote:
Hood could be one of the better starting two-guards in the Association with a bit of seasoning

He's not getting any younger but don't let that stop ya. A few months ago you had him ahead of Rudy!

Quote:
Exum could be the team’s point-man of the future and Lyles a prototypical playmaking big.

Could be but we've yet to see any reason to believe either

Quote:
Even if the team can’t retain Hill, I like to believe the Jazz could go out and get another point guard of similar stature if they have their other core pieces in place. The presence of Hayward, Gobert and Quin Snyder’s offense could make quite the pitch for a Jrue Holiday type, just to throw a name out there.

Great an injury prone replacement that isn't as good of a fit and could cost as much!

Quote:
Call me old-fashioned, overly optimistic or even flat-out naive

I'd go with the latter

Quote:
The way the city of Salt Lake and the state of Utah have embraced Hayward is a beautiful thing. In a land dominated by the ghosts Stockton-to-Malone, Hayward has managed to endear himself to a fanbase like few before him.

Not sure where you've been but he's been criticized ever step along the way. He won over most by stepping up in the playoffs like we've never seen

Quote:
Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey and the Miller Family have built something special, as Conley put it

that remains to be seen actually
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #240
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/28...w-rodney-hood/

Quote:
Hood was completely injury-free for the first 19 games of the year. He missed just one game with illness before a hamstring injury set him back and knocked his great season off course.

19 games! Was the illness that started things off-track

Quote:
In these first 19 games, Hood averaged 16.1 points per game and looked like a more than capable contributor whose starting role was never in question.

It should have been. He looks like a 6th man then and now

Quote:
he was very athletic and knew how use every bit of his 6-foot-8 frame. This was taken from him with the hamstring soreness, the hyperextended knee, the plantar fasciitis that’s been bothering him since his days at Duke, and having to gear up for the playoffs on one good leg.

I wouldn't call him very athletic but than I think Rudy is better

Quote:
It must have been mighty frustrating for him to lose his starting spot for the playoffs.

It shouldn't have taken that long

Quote:
Hood still has the potential to be an elite scorer in this league and I think being the primary or secondary ball handler in the playoffs (especially in the series against the Warriors) would be extremely beneficial for Hood in the future.

So would Lyles and Exum starting apparently too. Ingles deserved it. Hood isn't 19 btw just in case you were confused about his future

Quote:
his name has been up in the air in several trade conversations

it has?

Quote:
If I were starting a team from scratch and I got to choose a Jazz player to come and join my team, Hood would be number three on the list (only behind Hayward and Gobert).

Kind of eeny meeny after the big two since they were the only ones that showed up against GS.

Quote:
I’d hazard a guess that if Hood was one of the two prime offensive options at an average/sub-par team and was relied upon to score, he could be a 23 points per game scorer and maybe more next season.

and AI put up 30. Is the team winning with Hood at 23 a game?

Quote:
Sadly, he doesn’t do much else.

and yet he is the man!

Quote:
When he uses his dribble to get within 18 feet of the basket, he is simply unstoppable because he has the length and leap to shoot a jumper or hook over any shooting guard in the league.

and sadly he's rather shoot a 3 where he is streaky at best

Quote:
He’s still a great young player with lots of upside, but he will never each his full potential in the Jazz’s system with Gordon Hayward around. I’d love seeing Hood in a Jazz jersey for years to come, but he could be great somewhere else. However, I’m not even sure if his trade value is appropriate for his potential.

He's not going to get a lot better. He is not super young. He could be a great 6th man like Crawford. The Olympics and all-star games and the HOF are likely not in his future no matter how much you and him think of him

Quote:
He could be in for a big, breakout season next year if he can get his body right.

I'd settle for consistency and health. Hard to hope for much more
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: