Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default How Many Quad-Doubles Did Wilt Have?

Interesting question...

Here is what we do know.

Just in Chamberlain's 67-68 season, alone, he had 31 TRIPLE-DOUBLES. Included in those were a streak of NINE straight, which is an NBA record (and his 31 is second only to Oscar's 41 in one season.)

And in that season, Wilt had the ONLY DOUBLE-TRIPLE-DOUBLE game in NBA history (22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists.) Not only that, but how about a TRIPLE-DOUBLE game of 53 points (on 24-29 shooting), with 32 rebounds, and 14 assists? Not only that, but Wilt had a KNOWN quad-double in the '67 ECF's against Russell's Celtics, when he hung a 24-32-13-12 game on the 60-21 Celtics and their SIX HOFers.

The problem is, the NBA did not "officially" tabulate blocked shots. Of course, statisticians would routinely compile them on their own. Harvey Pollack, who is the most esteemed stats maven in any major professional sport, estimated that Chamberlain had an entire SEASON of 10+ bpg. He had one game in which he "lost count" after 25 blocks. We also KNOW that Wilt had a RECORDED game in the 68-69 season in which he blocked 23 shots.

So, given the fact that Wilt had a KNOWN 78 TRIPLE-DOUBLES in his career, and given the fact that he probably blocked 7-8 shots per game over the course of his ENTIRE career, one can only logically assume that he must have had a TON of quad-doubles in his career.

BTW, some other interesting stats that some here may not know. Wilt's very FIRST NBA game was a 43 point (on 17-27 shooting), 28 rebound, 17 blocked shots game. His very LAST game, and in the NBA Finals, was a DOUBLE-DOUBLE, of 23 points (on 9-16 shooting) with 21 rebounds. In fact, there is a very good chance that Wilt is the REAL all-time DOUBLE-DOUBLE leader in NBA history (despite the fact that Karl Malone is credited as such.)

And while the NBA "officially" recognizes Elmore Smith as the single game block leader, with 17, it is well known that both Wilt and Russell blocked more shots in a game.

How about 30-30 games. The entire NBA, in it's history, has had 28 of them. Wilt had 103 by himself, including TWO in his 71-72 season (his second-to-last season...and one of them was a 31-32 game against 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier.)

40-30 games? The ENTIRE NBA, in it's long history, has had SIX. How about Wilt? 55 of them (including 17 against Russell.)

50-30 games. Mikan had two, and Baylor had one. That's it...except for Wilt, who had 21 of them (and another two in the playoffs...one a 56-35 game five in a best-of-five series, and the other a 50-35 game in a must win game against Russell's Celtics.)

40-40 games? ONLY Wilt has achieved that, and he did it EIGHT times (one of them against Russell).

50-40 games. Obviously, ONLY Wilt, and he did it FOUR times. Included in that was a 78-43 game.

126 straight games of 25+ points.

65 straight games of 30+ points.

14 straight games of 40+ points (which he did TWICE...and he averaged 53 and 54 ppg in those two streaks)

7 straight games of 50+ points (and another of 6)

How about this streak? Wilt scored 351 points over the course of five straight games...or 70 ppg!

60+ point games. The rest of the entire NBA has 30 (MJ and Kobe each have five)...Wilt, with 32. Included in that is 4 of the 6 at .700+ shooting, including the highest FG% in a 60+ point game (.829 on 29-35 shooting.)

70+ point games. The entire NBA has FOUR. Wilt had SIX.

40+ rebounding games. The entire NBA has 13. Wilt had 15, including the record of 55, in a game in which he outrebounded Russell, 55-19.

"Perfect" games. Wilt has the THREE highest in NBA history (all in the same season, and games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18.) He also made 35 straight shots, which is, by far, the all-time NBA record.

Just some food for thought...
    Last edited by jlauber; 10-03-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Default Re: How Many Quad-Doubles Did Wilt Have?

Not only that, but Wilt had a KNOWN quad-double in the '67 ECF's against Russell's Celtics, when he hung a 24-32-13-12 game on the 60-21 Celtics and their SIX HOFers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFrhKI63e80#t=6m31s

Hartford Courant - Apr 1, 1967

Greer pumped in 39 points, mostly on long jump shots, while Chamberlain grabbed 32 rebounds, handed out 12 assists, scored 24 points and blocked a dozen shots.

Wilt >> MJ

Against a bunch of white unathletic Mugsy Boguess

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Miserio
    Against a bunch of white unathletic Mugsy Boguess
    Yep...Wilt was lucky to have only faced guys like five-time all-star Zelmo Beaty, multiple all-star Wayne Embry, 6-9 multiple all-star Red Kerr, 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy, 6-11 HOFer Nate Thurmond, 6-9 HOFer Willis Reed, 6-9 HOFer Elvin Hayes, 6-7 HOFer Wes Unseld, 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier, 6-9 HOFer Dave Cowens, 6-8 HOFer Jerry Lucas, 6-10 HOFer Bill Russell, and 7-2 HOFer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. In addition he routinely battled 7-0 270 lb. Tom Boerwinkle, 7-0 Mel Counts, 7-0 Hank Finkel, 7-0 Walter Dukes, and even 7-3 Swede Holbrook. And there another dozen or so 6-11 players he fought in his era, as well. AND, players were measure BARE-FOOT in that era...so you could easily add an inch to almost everyone of them by using TODAY's measuring in SHOES.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Yep...Wilt was lucky to have only faced guys like five-time all-star Zelmo Beaty, multiple all-star Wayne Embry, 6-9 multiple all-star Red Kerr, 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy, 6-11 HOFer Nate Thurmond, 6-9 HOFer Willis Reed, 6-9 HOFer Elvin Hayes, 6-7 HOFer Wes Unseld, 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier, 6-9 HOFer Dave Cowens, 6-8 HOFer Jerry Lucas, 6-10 HOFer Bill Russell, and 7-2 HOFer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. In addition he routinely battled 7-0 270 lb. Tom Boerwinkle, 7-0 Mel Counts, 7-0 Hank Finkel, 7-0 Walter Dukes, and even 7-3 Swede Holbrook. And there another dozen or so 6-11 players he fought in his era, as well. AND, players were measure BARE-FOOT in that era...so you could easily add an inch to almost everyone of them by using TODAY's measuring in SHOES.
    all scrubs

3-time NBA All-Star

all scrubs
    Oh I agree. We KNOW that Kareem was a "scrub" well into the 80's. No way a Kareem would be worth a damn in today's NBA. Just ask Hakeem and Ewing, both of whom, in their primes, would be cannon-fodder for guys like Rony Turiaff and Chuck Hayes.

Oh I agree. We KNOW that Kareem was a "scrub" well into the 80's. No way a Kareem would be worth a damn in today's NBA. Just ask Hakeem and Ewing, both of whom, in their primes, would be cannon-fodder for guys like Rony Turiaff and Chuck Hayes.
    Kareem = poor mans Andrew Bogut

3-time NBA All-Star

I haven't seen the numbers, but I suspect that Wilt had numerous triple-doubles in his '67 season, too, as well as the documented '68 season. In his '67 season, he averaged 24.1 ppg, 24.2 rpg, 7.8 apg, and on top of that, he shot .683 (which was miles ahead of the next guy, Walt Bellamy, at .521...and light-years ahead of the entire league, which collectively shot .441.)

3-time NBA All-Star

Kareem = poor mans Andrew Bogut
    I would take Kareem, TODAY, over Bogut.

3-time NBA All-Star

And what chance would a Chamberlain have in today's NBA, as well? My god, he was only 7-2 (and would be listed at 7-3 in shoes), with a 7-8 wingspan, 280-300+ lbs, with massive strength, amazing leaping ability, track speed, and 10-15 ft+ range, with a variety of post moves, and unbelieveable passing ability. Again, guys like 6-6 Chuck Hayes would be feasting on a helpless prime Wilt.

Not sure. He has 78 recorded triple doubles. But he was known as a damn good shot blocker as well. So i guess it's safe to say it's below 78, not that it gives an exact number. Here's the only one I am aware off:

-Game 1 of the 1967 Eastern Division Finals against the Boston Celtics, when he had 24 points, 32 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Not sure. He has 78 recorded triple doubles. But he was known as a damn good shot blocker as well. So i guess it's safe to say it's below 78, not that it gives an exact number. Here's the only one I am aware off:

-Game 1 of the 1967 Eastern Division Finals against the Boston Celtics, when he had 24 points, 32 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks.
    His 78 "trips" rank 4th all-time, too, behind guys like Oscar (181), Magic (138), and Kidd (105.)

I think an educated estimate would perhaps be as many as 20.

I would take Kareem, TODAY, over Bogut.
    Bogut is a good NBA player homeschool.

3-time NBA All-Star

Another consideration...assists were considerably more difficult to get in Wilt's era...so he was probably robbed of a large number of those in his career, as well.