Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default What if the Super Bowl was a 7-game series?

I got this idea from another thread: How would some past matchups have turned out? I'll start with some recent ones:

- The Patriots would have swept the next 4 games vs the Giants. No doubt in my mind.

- The Steelers over Cards 4-1

- Colts over Bears 4-0 (each game getting easier for Indy)

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: What if the Super Bowl was a 7-game series?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    I got this idea from another thread: How would some past matchups have turned out? I'll start with some recent ones:

- The Patriots would have swept the next 4 games vs the Giants. No doubt in my mind.

- The Steelers over Cards 4-1

- Colts over Bears 4-0 (each game getting easier for Indy)
    There's absolutely no way to know how teams would fare after, at minimum, 4 or 5 consecutive games against each other. Since teams have never played each other that many times, Its impossible to consider what facets of the game would become more important as they played more against each other.... for instance, would offensive- or defensive-based teams have the advantage playing that many times against the same opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    There's absolutely no way to know how teams would fare after, at minimum, 4 or 5 consecutive games against each other. Since teams have never played each other that many times, Its impossible to consider what facets of the game would become more important as they played more against each other.... for instance, would offensive- or defensive-based teams have the advantage playing that many times against the same opponent?
    It's not impossible to consider.

a best of three would be more realistic. still the super bowl is all or nothing and everyone likes it that way.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    It's not impossible to consider.
    okay you're right its not impossible.

Care to share your two cents??

Local High School Star Skyscraper's Avatar

7 days in a row?

7 weeks?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Skyscraper
    7 days in a row?

7 weeks?
    I guess it would have to be seven weeks... seven games in a row is f*cking brutal. Even the most elite athletes would be exhausted and broken down by Tuesday.

the superbowl would suck

lillil wayne
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

That's almost half a season!

best of 5 with games on sunday,another one on tuesday, and saturday. Then monday (if necessary), final game (if necessary) on friday...

off topic: i don't get why these nfl players only play once a week, i would think the nfl would defiantly gain more revenue if they played at least twice, they are constantly switching lineups.don't believe it would be that much toll on their bodies...

1 week avy bet..... RedZiggyZag's Avatar

This isn't Pop-Warner or Pee-Wee Football here, It's the NFL bro. How often do you see guys injured in every one game? Like 2-3 guys right? Now multiple that by 7 and factor in the fatigue. Just too much physicality in a game. If it was a 3 game series, that would be nice. But 7 game series is just way too long.

Injuries are the first thing that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.RAPS
    best of 5 with games on sunday,another one on tuesday, and saturday. Then monday (if necessary), final game (if necessary) on friday...

off topic: i don't get why these nfl players only play once a week, i would think the nfl would defiantly gain more revenue if they played at least twice, they are constantly switching lineups.don't believe it would be that much toll on their bodies...
    are you serious bro?? if you ever played organized football, like highschool or hell even in middle school, you would understand how brutal these games are. just because you don't always see a person get popped, these guys are getting beat up out there. football is such a demanding sport to your body. its really hard to explain in words what football players go through physically and this is the NFL. WE may not know physically what it feels like to go through a 16 game NFL season but if you ever played football you would definitely understand why they only play once a week.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

I know this is on a tangent but I wish the NBA Finals was a one off game like the Superbowl.

IMO it would be way better to play a one off game in a football stadium.

One off game = more chance of an upset = more exciting.

I always thought the Superbowl should be a 3-Game Series. I hate how a whole Season of hard work can go right down the toilet because you loose one game in the Playoffs. I hate how a Team can basically fluke their way to a Championship. That can never happen in Basketball.

But doing this would take away the "All or Nothing" feel of the Superbowl, which is something everybody loves. I have to accept that the NFL Playoffs have to be this way. I have to accept that if you can't bring your A-Game in the Playoffs, then you don't deserve to win the Superbowl. I have to accept that their is no room for screw ups. It's All or Nothing.

What I do really hate is that all the Football Games are on Sunday. I don't mind Teams playing only once a week, but do they all have to be on the same damn day? It makes it impossible to watch more than 3 full games a week since they are on at the same time.

Plus, the rest of the week is boring.
    Last edited by JustinJDW; 10-14-2009 at 06:39 PM.