Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Would you be happier for/respect more the Heat, if their team formed naturally?

I think one of the reasons I don't really like the Heat is because the way they formed. They all took less money and teamed up so that winning a championship would be easier. There is something cheap about that to me. Like putting in cheat codes.

Other super teams in the past didnt have their best players decide to collude and team up. MJ didnt call magic and bird to team up so that he could win easily.

Default Re: Would you be happier for/respect more the Heat, if their team formed naturally?

Makes no difference to me, couldn't care less what free agents choose to do after their contracts are fulfilled.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Would you be happier for/respect more the Heat, if their team formed naturally?

I think I'd be happier for them, yes. That's pretty much been the crux of my issue in the first place. All those players completely had the right to do what they did and it was all perfectly legal. However, whatever line I had in terms of sustaining competition and parity felt crossed when the best player I've seen since MJ hatched a grand plan to create a super power.

They're all still great players. Their success just strikes me different knowing it was all manufactured by an agreement by each player to work the system in a manner so as to create an absolute super power that could roll to multiple championships even when not at full strength.

Thinking about it now, I have to admit, if LeBron James was a Cavalier (an era I was a big fan of) and Cleveland controversially dealt him to Miami against his will (full with LBJ giving a reluctant and tearful goodbye from a downtown Cleveland pub), I probably would have felt better about the Miami situation than how it actually shook down.

Some people are fans of winning. Some are fans of how they win. I'd say I'm more of the latter, and I'm not a fan of how Miami won. I suppose it's similar to why I'm not a huge fan of the Detroit Red Wings' 2002 Stanley Cup when their team was comprised of the likes of Brett Hull, Dominik Hasek, and Luc Robitaille (in addition to lifetime Wings Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman). I guess the saving grace there was that nearly each superstar was out of his prime and near retirement and the Wings had won without those stars just a few years earlier, but it still felt manufactured to a point.

I definitely would have more respect. I do have respects for their accomplishments thus far, but I definitely see them a little different than I see other teams in the past. Even Lebron, as much as I credit him and absolutely think he is a top 15 player of all time (you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise), I simply can not believe he is the GOAT as many think he is. He definitely has been a special player in our league, but the way he had to come together with three other superstars, was pretty pathetic. I don't believe in winning by yourself mentality either (Jordan had Pippen, Shaq had Kobe, Kobe had Pau, etc.) but creating a team the way they did was whack. I personally don't like it, but whatever. I wouldn't be mad if it was the team I rooted for though lol.

Very good NBA starter

Yes.

They basically colluded, and since then it's been a magnet for talent like Ray Allen, Battier, and such (the effects of them teaming up haven't ended).

It's not quite the first time in history it's happened, and I would say the same thing about any previous "super teams", but something about Bron, Wade, and Bosh teaming up seemed so fabricated, cheap, and desperate.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Yes.

They basically colluded, and since then it's been a magnet for talent like Ray Allen, Battier, and such (the effects of them teaming up haven't ended).

It's not quite the first time in history it's happened, and I would say the same thing about any previous "super teams", but something about Bron, Wade, and Bosh teaming up seemed so fabricated, cheap, and desperate.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

No, you hate Miami because they're not your team. If lebron and wade joined your team you would've give two shits and you'd be rooting for em just like us.

NBA rookie of the year

Unrestricted free agency is 'natural'.

The disliking of the formation of the current Heat core has always been a case of emotion overriding logic and reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    No, you hate Miami because they're not your team. If lebron and wade joined your team you would've give two shits and you'd be rooting for em just like us.
    This post smells of insecurity.

It's ok to admit it and still support your team.

It's a problem when you deny the truth of it all.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Yes.

The problem I have with this pic is Bosh is nothing compared to any of those three. If anything Jordan joining the mid 90's Sonics would be more more accurate. I might be selling Kemp short comparing him to Bosh. Although Wade might be better than Payton. Pat taking Wade over Kamen turned out to be the difference between 3 championships. If you count the chain reactions.
    Last edited by Duderonomy; 06-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I think one of the reasons I don't really like the Heat is because the way they formed. They all took less money and teamed up so that winning a championship would be easier. There is something cheap about that to me. Like putting in cheat codes.
    San Antonio has been doing this with Parker and Duncan in their past contracts. Seems like the article below commends Duncan for being unselfish and allowing San Antonio to keep top 5 MVP candidate Parker as well as resign Ginobli and Danny Green.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...5938--nba.html

Dirk also came out and said he'd sacrifice money to make it easier for the Mavs to sign Dwight Howard. Are we all just going to pick on the Heat because their players are more talented and have achieved more success out players who take pay cuts?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Unrestricted free agency is 'natural'.

The disliking of the formation of the current Heat core has always been a case of emotion overriding logic and reason.
    I think emotion is supposed to be a big part of being a fan. I mean, at this point, there's really no logic behind me being a Pistons fan, for instance, but I am anyway. So I'm not sure it's just as simple as finding the logic and reason behind everything and following as such.

I think a few of us here have actually said, logically and reasonably, that what James and company chose to do was well within their rights. Further, I think most of us acknowledge their high skill and ability. It's just personally, in terms of what I look for in sports, I don't like the idea that emerging victorious can be as easy as the best player in the world jumping ship to a super team, alongside super star teammates in a system that continuously attracts the perfect role players to fill in the blanks, leading to multiple championships even when that team underperforms.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    San Antonio has been doing this with Parker and Duncan in their past contracts. Seems like the article below commends Duncan for being unselfish and allowing San Antonio to keep top 5 MVP candidate Parker as well as resign Ginobli and Danny Green.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...5938--nba.html

Dirk also came out and said he'd sacrifice money to make it easier for the Mavs to sign Dwight Howard. Are we all just going to pick on the Heat because their players are more talented and have achieved more success out players who take pay cuts?
    I've said this before, but the Heat thing just felt different. And that's coming from someone who honestly enjoyed James' and Bosh's games when they played for their previous teams (teams for which I had no association). Maybe SCdac was right. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the Heat move felt... off.

Maybe it's because in the past I felt teams attempting to "stack" strictly through free agency often had to give something up in the process. It felt like give and take. Or, if nothing else, even if it worked out exactly how they wanted, it never seemed it'd be as easy as they wished it would be ('04 Lakers, '13 Lakers, late 90's Rockets, etc.). So there was a comfort there, where a team going the superstar route was still going to require something more.

In Miami's case, it just all felt too easy. And it was all done in a manner I found unbecoming. I derive no joy from watching a bunch of superstars agreeing to play with one another and bragging about how great they're going to be (alongside the ease with which they'll repeatedly destroy their undermanned opponents).

Without any previous issues with Bosh and James (I admit I wasn't a fan of the '06 Heat though), I must say something just all felt off about the way the team came to be. I obviously have a tough time articulating what my issue is or was, but I insist it's not because I had some deep-rooted hatred for James before he made his move.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Not really. They all played out their contracts, and then they teamed up. If they pulled a D12/CP3 and bitched their way out of their teams to join up, then I won't respect anything they do.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think emotion is supposed to be a big part of being a fan. I mean, at this point, there's really no logic behind me being a Pistons fan, for instance, but I am anyway. So I'm not sure it's just as simple as finding the logic and reason behind everything and following as such.

I think a few of us here have actually said, logically and reasonably, that what James and company chose to do was well within their rights. Further, I think most of us acknowledge their high skill and ability. It's just personally, in terms of what I look for in sports, I don't like the idea that emerging victorious can be as easy as the best player in the world jumping ship to a super team, alongside super star teammates in a system that continuously attracts the perfect role players to fill in the blanks, leading to multiple championships even when that team underperforms.
    I don't have any issue with you feeling this way. As, a sports fan you're entitled to feel however. And you are right, that emotion is a big part of being a sports fan.

But as we also know, with comes emotion comes irrationality. Particularly in the subject of sports. And the Heat/LeBron post July 2010 have shown this to be so.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    This post smells of insecurity.

It's ok to admit it and still support your team.

It's a problem when you deny the truth of it all.
    Insecurity? The truth is the truth. I do not hate nor lack respect for my team and I'm 100% certain op would have no ill-feelings towards his fav team either. Bottom line is nothing they did was wrong. All done within the rules of the game. I was a fan of Melo and also rooted for ny when they got together.