Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 11-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
6erhooper
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Ollie as starter?

Any opinions on Ollie as our starting PG? I was reading another board that was pretty much full of people who don't like this at all and think Mo is nuts.

I actually thought having a stable guy at the point was a good influence in the game...they wanted to slow the tempo and aside from helping get the offense initiated and not making turnovers, Ollie can pressure the ball on D which is something an improving defense needs. I was kind of surprised Mo has started him, I never thought of Ollie as anything more than a backup, but I'm not sure Green can do that job without making mistakes. Really, it has been since E Snow since we had a traditional PG, hasn't it? To me, AI and our half-court offense looks better with a traditional PG, even Ollie's caliber, but we'll see I guess.
6erhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

he is our only option because we want korver to be 6th man. He is a very stable pg, not a starter, but hes stable. And hes rarely in at the end, so it doesnt really matter. He sets a good tempo, and its all about who finishes the game, not starts it.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
AI09
Serious playground baller

i like ollie as a starter but id like to see Carney start
PG Iverson
SG Carney
SF Iguodala
PF Webber
C Dalembert
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

Like sixerfan said, he's the only option we have right now if we play AI at SG. He's decent defensively and is a solid player. It's looking good so far and if it aint broken, dont fix it.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
pgm
I hit open layups

Olie is playing very well as our PG. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I would like to see more Carney, though.
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

he is a good person to have at the helm he is poised and makes good desicions but more carney would be nice and maybe as the season goes along to try and get luois williams feet wet a bit
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
ppierce34

Ollie rarely ever handles the ball, so the whole steady influence is a pointless argument. He shouldn't be starting, he's a solid defender when defending point guards, but he doesn't when he's on the court with AI, so he brings next to nothing to the table. Problem is as of now you have to start Korver, who seems to be thriving as a sixth man and they seem to want him comfortable there or Carney or Green. One is rookie, not quite ready and one has been horrible and isn't starter material in the first place.

I expect Carney will see the starting line-up by the latest mid-season. I at least hope so.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Serge
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09
i like ollie as a starter but id like to see Carney start
PG Iverson
SG Carney
SF Iguodala
PF Webber
C Dalembert

Exactly that's how it should be. And I hope Carney gets his shooting a little better so he can make more shots. Cause Ollie just rarly makes shots so even when he is open AI get's him the ball open he still misses like WTF. LOL

Also I wish we traded Webber to NY for Rose expiring, and then started Hunter, and Sammy together. So the line-up would look like this for example:

PG - Iverson
SG - Iguodala
SF - Carney
PF - Hunter
C - Sammy

Not having Webber with his most of the time bad D would make a big diff. Then the only person with not good D really is Iverson. And he is not bad atleast even though he not good on D he aight.

I say this way we could have gotten to the 2nd round.

Last edited by Serge : 11-07-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
AI09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Ollie rarely ever handles the ball, so the whole steady influence is a pointless argument. He shouldn't be starting, he's a solid defender when defending point guards, but he doesn't when he's on the court with AI, so he brings next to nothing to the table. Problem is as of now you have to start Korver, who seems to be thriving as a sixth man and they seem to want him comfortable there or Carney or Green. One is rookie, not quite ready and one has been horrible and isn't starter material in the first place.

I expect Carney will see the starting line-up by the latest mid-season. I at least hope so.

Ollie never handles the ball??? In 25 mpg its pretty hard for a guy to avg 4apg if he never handles the ball.

Also he does guard the shooting guards very well for example Ollie was guarding Joe Johnson in the first game and JJ has alot of height over Ollie. In 46 mins JJ scored 25 points well you guys would look at that and say thats not good but then you woul also have to look at how many shots JJ threw up he went 9-23 also JJ socred MORE points in less mins against the Knicks 35 mins 30 points and the magic 34 mins 31 points and most of JJ points agaisnt the sixers was when Ollie was out of the game.

And the Sixers are 3-0 this season and ollie had every start. So how can you say he brings almost nothing to the table. You have to look at every thing he does in his minutes. For a point guard to start next to AI avg 25 mpg and avg 5ppg and 4apg and great D on bigger guys is preety darn good if you ask me. He rarely shoots but when he does he makes it count hes shooting 50% from the field.What did you expect from ollie 15-20ppg?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
AI09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge
Cause Ollie just rarly makes shots so even when he is open AI get's him the ball open he still misses like WTF.

Ollie doesnt miss much when he shoots hes 50% from the field and avgs 5 ppg and 4ppg in 25mins next to AI so thats not bad numbers from a Defensive mind setted Pg and a pass first PG
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
6erhooper
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I agree that Ollie has played consistently, even knocking down shots so far this season (3games lol). I think it comes down to what kind of PG do you want. Green, Carney, Iggy (Pforward I guess) or AI himself? None of these are a traditional PG. Those options have advantages on the scoring athletic side, but give up the stability a guard like Ollie brings. I think it is easy to underestimate the value of bringing the ball up the floor and getting the offense set and not making turnovers. And AI to me looks clearly more comfortable in his scoring SG role, just my opinion. Not that all these guys won't share this role throughout the game anyway.
6erhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

I'll just chime in and say that I've really liked Ollie's defense so far this year. I think he did a good job on Wade when he was covering him (Iggy isn't nearly quick enough). He's not playing too many minutes. He's done a very good job in the role. It reminds me a little bit of when Snow was our PG, but he's not as good, unfortunately. I like this limited role for Ollie, with Korver, Green, and eventually Carney coming in with Iverson moving to Point.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
ppierce34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI09
Ollie doesnt miss much when he shoots hes 50% from the field and avgs 5 ppg and 4ppg in 25mins next to AI so thats not bad numbers from a Defensive mind setted Pg and a pass first PG

Ollie's jumpshot is not consistent, I don't care what he's shooting through a whole 3 games, Korver is shooting 80% from 3 come on now and AI 55%. The guy is a career 41% shooter. He has a slightly better jumper than Snow and that's not very good or dependable. And the 4 assists can be attributed to the small number of games as well. He doesn't handle the ball much when he's in the game, he'll bring it up and give it to AI who well then run the offense, Ollie doesn't have many PG duties in this offense unless AI is off the court. Again, he's a decent defender, but he's often stuck guarding bigger and stronger 2 guards. The team is actually -8 with him on the court so far this season.

Ollie is a decent bench player, but he is not a starting caliber player and the sooner he is out of the starting line-up the better for the Sixers in the long run, the options are just limited right now.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #14
The Answer
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Ollie's jumpshot is not consistent, I don't care what he's shooting through a whole 3 games, Korver is shooting 80% from 3 come on now and AI 55%. The guy is a career 41% shooter. He has a slightly better jumper than Snow and that's not very good or dependable. And the 4 assists can be attributed to the small number of games as well. He doesn't handle the ball much when he's in the game, he'll bring it up and give it to AI who well then run the offense, Ollie doesn't have many PG duties in this offense unless AI is off the court. Again, he's a decent defender, but he's often stuck guarding bigger and stronger 2 guards. The team is actually -8 with him on the court so far this season.

Ollie is a decent bench player, but he is not a starting caliber player and the sooner he is out of the starting line-up the better for the Sixers in the long run, the options are just limited right now.

So should they start Korver then?
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #15
ppierce34

I say no because he's thriving off the bench, but I hope to see Carney sooner rather than later. It's just a sad state that the options are that limited.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: