Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?"

It was really a dumb question to ask though. I mean, what was he hoping to get out of it? Was he hoping he would admit it was rigged? It really was just for cheap thrills. It was a silly question. All he wanted to do was ask a controversial question to get him riled up. He wasnt going to get any answer other than "No."

Da Mavs

Stern could have handled the question a lot more professionally, he came off as insecure and defensive to me, and honestly it is a very fair question to ponder.

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

I'm not a Jim Rome fan but this was a fair question to ask. Even if it wasn't rigged how could David Stern not expect people to wonder why an NBA owned team that was recently sold got the 1st pick in the draft.

Default Re: Stern: "Do you still beat your wife?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I'm not so sure people understand what Stern said. He didn't mean it literally. Asking someone if they beat their wife is one of the most famous examples of a loaded question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question
    This^

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Based on Rome's response...i don't think he knew wtf stern was talking about either.
    Neither did I. I'm not understanding why folks are acting like Stern's response was something that everyone and their mama should have got. I mean I get you got it. And by the way thanks for letting me in on the statement. Doesnt mean its common. Common in regards to who?

Like you said even Jim Rome took it literal it seemed in his response when Stern threw it at him. Or maybe his response went over my heard (implying he understood what Stern did) and I'm 0-2.

But I'll take another poster chiming in with the wikipedia meaning again. Common (see what i did there), one more time guys.

Good High School Starter

Signed on to ISH and was like..

Read through thread titles and come across, David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?" and was like..

Clicked on http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Yi2kH4U7E8A and was like..

Quote Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
    I'm not a Jim Rome fan but this was a fair question to ask. Even if it wasn't rigged how could David Stern not expect people to wonder why an NBA owned team that was recently sold got the 1st pick in the draft.
    I bet you never wonderer how the 9th worst record with 1% chance of winning the lottery ended up with Derrick Rose.

You know something about Stern's just reminds me of Newt Gingrich

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Neither did I. I'm not understanding why folks are acting like Stern's response was something that everyone and their mama should have got. I mean I get you got it. And by the way thanks for letting me in on the statement. Doesnt mean its common. Common in regards to who?

Like you said even Jim Rome took it literal it seemed in his response when Stern threw it at him. Or maybe his response went over my heard (implying he understood what Stern did) and I'm 0-2.

But I'll take another poster chiming in with the wikipedia meaning again. Common (see what i did there), one more time guys.
    I didn't get it either and ive never heard anyone say that until someone dropped that wikipedia link about that phrase.

Did he REALLY expect Stern to say yes? That's a pretty stupid question.

Stern is right to be extremely pissed when some random asshole easily shits on the integrity of the entire NBA and consequently his own. No respectable professional journalist would ever dare insult the league like that.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    So why does Stern even go on Jim Rome? He was annoyed from the start. He's not obligated to go on Jim Rome show. He knows what Jim Rome show is about. Yet you go on annoyed and get even more annoyed. Doesnt make sense.

Its like entering a PleezeBelieve, 28enyoy (however his dumb name is spelled) and getting all . You know from the jump when you enter their threads what you will get. Why put yourself through it?

Funny line tho by Stern even tho he acted unprofessional.
    lol how does that translate to asking if the NBA lottery is rigged. Seriously. If he talked about fouls being called too much, flopping, too many techs, NBA favoring superstars etc. I would agree 100%

Asking if the NBA lottery is rigged is ridiculous. Even if it was .. your on a radio station. What's the point? You know he's simply going to say no. Stupid move by Jim Rome that deserved a stupid response. Unprofessional line by Stern but it's not like it deserved any better.

TheBluest
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Stern is right to be extremely pissed when some random asshole easily shits on the integrity of the entire NBA and consequently his own. No respectable professional journalist would ever dare insult the league like that.

Change the Font or Font color so we can sense the seriousness

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Hopefully Stern uses his mafia ties to make sure Rome gets properly taken care of.

Very good NBA starter

stern sounds like such a douche there. hope the next guy is a bit more likable.