Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbasist
    I knew there was something wrong. I'm 6'1" without shoes and when I see someone like Ramon Sessions listed at 6'3" I started to doubt how they measured them or if they included height with shoes on.
    There is some crazy exaggeration. I am 6-1 to 6-2 barefoot, depending on time of day. I saw John Wall once in person. I was just wearing like a 1.5 inch adding hiking boot.

So at most, I could have been 6-2.5 to 6-3.5 in shoes at the time.

Now, John Wall is listed at 6-4 in shoes by the NBA and draftexpress has him at 6-2.75 barefoot, and claims this is an official barefoot measurement from the NBA draft combine.

This proves to me the NBA is really full of it, and so is draftexpress if they actually believe these claims.

Because I saw Wall in person, and he looked no more than 6-1 or maybe at max, 6-2 to me. But really, he looked 6-1. I mean, he had to be at least an inch shorter than me, at least.

He seemed 6-1 in person, but he's supposedly 6-4 in shoes, and "officially measured" at almost 6-3 barefoot by the NBA.

They are obviously totally full of it with their listings.

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I can understand guys that downplay their height. Position has a lot to do with it. Kevin Garnet is 6'11.75 barefoot. He's at least 7'1 in shoes. The guy wants to play PF, but it doesn't look right for a guy listed at 7'1 to not play center.

Same thing With Durant. He's at least 6'10 in shoes. Some people might be like, what's wrong with you? Why are you playing SF if you're 6'10?

I think LeBron downplays his height too. He was measured at 6'7.25 barefoot at 18 years old. I think that by the time he reached 21, he was probably a legit 6'8, or slightly under. Anyone who buys LeBron sneakers knows that they have pretty thick soles. Especially since they started put Air Max bags in them. He's at least 6'9 in his shoes.

There's some pressure to play a certain position if you're a particular height.
    Correct, and people should also note that guys like Durant and Garnet are rare exceptions to an otherwise ever present trend of height inflation. This includes Lebron because whether Lebron grew a few fractions of an inch or not since HS doesn't change the fact that he measured 6'7.25 yet was still immediately pegged at 6-8. And we're supposed to believe his shoes at the time were allegedly .75 inches thick yet Dwights are allegedly 2 inches thick, and 6'3.75 Dwayne Wade's shoes are .25 inches thick? No consistency it's just a jumbled mess of numbers and it gets fans into speculative "how tall are they?" frenzies that almost always results in them over-inflating these player heights even more so than the NBA did.

Height inflation also is a roadblock for young fans to actually accept and appreciate past NBA players and eras that were every bit the same stature as modern players. Using tools like draftexpress.com or doing some actual research to see if any of their players in question is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> analyzing photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    ...Inadequate European youth basketball programs effect the credibility of Draftexpress and 1989-92 Olympic measurements? Is that your evidence against Draftexpress?
    Draftepxress has been proven to post the wrong heights for a lot of players. They put some as taller than they really are, and others as shorter than they really are.

Example, Ian Vougioukas, Romain Sato, and Kyle Hines have all been officially measured, and using the metric system (which is much more accurate) by team officials in Europe.

Now, understand that the European clubs simply list the player as what he is measured at, they do not make up fake heights like the NBA and NCAA teams often do. Draftexpress even admits this in the OP post.

OK...........so how come draftexpress claims that Vougioukas is only 2.04 meters in height, when he was measured at 2.08 meters by Panathinaikos?

How come draftexpress claims that Romain Sato is only 1.88 meters in height, when he was measured at 1.92 meters in height by Siena and Panathinaikos?

How come draftexpress says that Kyle Hines is only 1.92 meters in height, when Olympiacos measured him at 1.94 meters in height?

Now, keep in mind, that the NBA measures players during the morning, when they are at their TALLEST, to help more inflate their heights. The agents for players also have them sleep on a flat surface and then go to the measurements right after.

The clubs in Europe are measuring guys when they get off the plane, or whatever, and come for their physical.

So, somehow, draftexpress.com manages to make players 1-2 inches shorter than they really are, and claims it as, "official measurements by the NBA". And draftexpress always seems to totally endorse and stick by these combine barefoot measurements.

So....draftexpress.com is full of it on the heights of the players, and they can't be trusted even for these "official barefoot height listings" either.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Back to Business

I been knowing about the nba lying about players heights since 96 when allen iverson was drafted.they had him listed at 6 feet even but i met him in person when he was at georgetown.he shook hands with my pops and iverson had him by an inch and my pops is 5'9.also i met derrick rose when he played for memphis.drose and my brother were the same height and my brother is 6'1 3/4

NBA lists heights WITH shoes, its not a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    NBA lists heights WITH shoes, its not a secret.
    But they don't list accurate shoe heights.

They round up or down

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    They round up or down
    Which isn't accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    But they don't list accurate shoe heights.
    There's no such thing. It's not like there is a universal sole thickness for shoes. Every model of shoe is different. If I remember correctly, a pair of Air jordan IV's have soles that are about 1.75 inches thick. I'm a little over 6'3.5 barefoot, but in a pair of sneakers with thick soles like that, I'm well over 6'5.

Euroleague stop being so butthurt, it's sad. I make a thread that flat out calls the NBA liars about listing heights which you should be thrilled about, yet your clearly so mad at my Anthony Parker statue poster
    that you've felt it is necessary to try and disparage my thread about the independent-of-the-NBA draft entity that measures and archives detailed player measurements down to the precise decimal

Only the Draftexpress.com draft data entries that were acquired 2nd hand (and therefore can not be guaranteed to be accurate) are questionable and all of those submissions are fully acknowledged by the Draft Express organization. The explanation to that is actually in the original post I made if you'd have actually cared to read it. I'll spell it out for you, this is their 2nd hand data entries:

*International player heights, which they assume are mostly true for some players but as with everything, they predict there are exceptions - basically what they are saying is "we didn't put the tape up to them, someone else did so take it with a grain of salt".

*Player heights that pre-date ~ the past 10 years or so that the D/E has been recording + entering the data. You'll notice almost none of the vintage player heights are accurate to the decimal. This is because that data was not taken by the D/E.

Example? Shaq on draftexpress is listed 7'1 303

In truth he was 7'0.88 in 1992 - to be precise. If you ask me, that should be the number they use but they can't change it until somebody submits the original source which I am actually apt to do at some point. I've collected a lot of player measurements and identified some of those vintage draft data innacuracies. But players from the past decade that D/E actually put the tape too themselves? They actually measured those guys, it isn't second hand. Go fap to some AP highlights and stop trying to discredit the thread with your unsubstantiated nonsense.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

There's no way in hell Stephen Jackson is 6'8".

Captan Jack is 6'6". By the way I don't blame these NBA and basketball players for padding their heights. One of the reasons why Ben Wallace wasn't drafted because he listed his height at 6'7".

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    I think lebron is a legit 6'8 and small change. Ive seen him next to Carmelo and melo is a legit 6'7.

Everyone knows Wade is like 6'3 and change. he's shorter than Kobe who's like 6'5 and change.
    Enjoying yourself?

High School Starter

No way is Kobe 6'4 barefoot..
    He is taller than Jordan and Vince Carter

Kobe is a legit 6'6 without shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeCee15
    No way is Kobe 6'4 barefoot..
    He is taller than Jordan and Vince Carter

Kobe is a legit 6'6 without shoes.
    That's going too far. If that was true, he would be well over 6'7 with shoes on.