Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Default Re: Jabari Parker will emerge as the best ... according to Mike Wilbon

looks like some of the NBA forum trolls have migrated over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    BULLSHlT

yea you can "improve" ball handling, but if you dont have it by now you aint never gonna get it . and by "it" i mean "IT" .. that factor parker has is "IT".

what? you can definitely improve on ballhandling, tons of players have done it. I remember Russ Westbrook having some pretty damn loose handles at UCLA, KU's current PG Naadir Tharpe had trouble bringing the ball up against scrub mid major teams his freshman year. once his handle tightens up just a bit, and he gains more confidence facing double teams, he'll be able to create space much better than Parker (just like he did in HS).

and despite his appartently god awful handles, he's had like 3 TO's in 4 games, and every time he actually tries to take his man on the dribble, he easily blows by and either scores or gets fouled. so I'm not really sure where you get the idea he has poor handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    wiggins looks like corey brewer out there

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm with Blazers here. At this point I have some, not a whole hell of a lot, and I still think the top five of this draft is a spectacular place to be, but I do have a few reservations about all three of these guys.

Wiggins, definitely has a few skill set issues that need to be worked on, and we've seen guys for whom all the work in the world just aren't great shooters. And more importantly are probably the reserved peronality, which is something I don't have a ton of issue with, unless it does affect his role on a team. The reason the Wiggins bashing has gotten so out of hand at this point is because someone threw out the "Best Prospect since Lebron" line, which hinted at an absolute sure thing. He could at this point realistically fall anywhere from Tracy McGrady to Andre Iguadala. There's a lot of room for variance.

Parker I already touched on. I think his biggest questions coming in where position, and true elite athleticism. He's come closest to answering those questions surrounding him. But they're still there. Especially because I think he's still probably mostly viewed as a not elitely athletic 3 instead of a really athletic if a bit undersized 4. The athleticism has flashed, but hasn't been anywhere near as twitchy explosive as Wiggins. But that IT factor, is definitely there.

Randle has been consistently statistically dominant, but I have been a little underwhelmed by his athleticism, and reliance on his left hand. From what I saw in HS, I was expecting a more dynamic athlete changing ends, something closer to Chris Webber, but he is coming off as more of a bruiser.

It's interesting that those Chicago games touted the Wiggins / Parker matchup, of two guys I think everyone expected to be playing SF. But after the fact, I'da been more intrigued I think to have seen Parker play Randle, because I'd be really interested to see how Parker could hold up. That would've answered a lot more questoins to me.

And I'd take Marcus Smart now at four absolutely no questions asked. Exum is gonna have to show something to jump ahead of Smart at this point in my eyes. Exum and Embiid at this point I'd be looking at 5 and 6 depending mostly on need, with Exum probably a bit ahead if all things are equal.

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Parker I already touched on. I think his biggest questions coming in where position, and true elite athleticism. He's come closest to answering those questions surrounding him. But they're still there. Especially because I think he's still probably mostly viewed as a not elitely athletic 3 instead of a really athletic if a bit undersized 4. The athleticism has flashed, but hasn't been anywhere near as twitchy explosive as Wiggins. But that IT factor, is definitely there.
    Guys as "twitchy" as Wiggins don't come around too often, and it's obvious that Jabari doesn't get off the floor like Wiggins, but he has much better footwork and moves really well with the ball. There's no way he'll end up playing the 4 unless he gets stuck in a run and gun offense. It might be working for Duke right now, but they'll get killed in March if he's the only guy down low.

So far he's looking like one of the most well rounded freshmen I've ever seen. You could put him on the Kings right now and he'd have them competing for the playoffs.

Randle has been consistently statistically dominant, but I have been a little underwhelmed by his athleticism, and reliance on his left hand. From what I saw in HS, I was expecting a more dynamic athlete changing ends, something closer to Chris Webber, but he is coming off as more of a bruiser.
    I'm not sold on Randle either. He's been bullying his way to the basket and doesn't have the length to play with his back to the basket. Worst part is, he has no impact on the defensive end.

And I'd take Marcus Smart now at four absolutely no questions asked. Exum is gonna have to show something to jump ahead of Smart at this point in my eyes. Exum and Embiid at this point I'd be looking at 5 and 6 depending mostly on need, with Exum probably a bit ahead if all things are equal.
    I like Smart but I wouldn't even hesitate to take Embiid. If things go well, and he improves over the next few months, I could see Embiid going second ahead of Wiggins.

Wow this dude is off the charts good. holy smokes

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Wow this dude is off the charts good. holy smokes
    He has to be. This is the dumbest Duke team I can remember.

[QUOTE=BIZARRO]

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    He has to be. This is the dumbest Duke team I can remember.
    Yeah they made some really unDuke like plays this game as well as other games this season.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Duke guards literally can't play defense this year. Parker will have to will Duke to wins this year.
    They also seemingly don't have anyone over 6'8 who isn't a complete stiff. With the new rule changes, perimeter defense will be neutered and overall defense will be more about interior D and shotblocking like in the NBA. Duke has none of that this yaer.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    They also seemingly don't have anyone over 6'8 who isn't a complete stiff. With the new rule changes, perimeter defense will be neutered and overall defense will be more about interior D and shotblocking like in the NBA. Duke has none of that this yaer.
    its even worst than the NBA. The defender is entitled to basically 0 space. no longer a rule of verticality. Plus, the removal of the arm bar in the post is also absurd. They really lowered the quality of basketball imo.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    its even worst than the NBA. The defender is entitled to basically 0 space. no longer a rule of verticality. Plus, the removal of the arm bar in the post is also absurd. They really lowered the quality of basketball imo.
    NCAA post defense is dead. Close games are practically being played with Kevin Durant style touch fouls now.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i agree that parker can be relied on as the focal point of offense.. but in a draft what do you really value production or potential .. we have seen alot of potential that didnt pan out ... Ie Green, Miles, Darko etc...

there were potentials alone that got snubbed and alot were quite jealous of what the outcome is. George, Cousins, Drummond,

there are those who prove that production can easily translate to nba .. Lilard , Broy,...

But you have to understand both randle and parker needs to be this good in order for them to win ...

this is not a knock on wiggins but that kansas team may have been a little under valued ... Ellis, Embid and Black is a freaking front court to have.. then there is Selden and White III .. As i have stated before even without wiggins this kansas team would still be a part of march madness... and maybe even more..

Without parker that duke team would be a joke sorry but that is the reality..
    Without randle sure there might be other guys that would step up from time to time but they (parker and randle) need to be consistent for their team to win.

If wiggins would have chosen FSU we might not even have this argument...

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    i agree that parker can be relied on as the focal point of offense.. but in a draft what do you really value production or potential .. we have seen alot of potential that didnt pan out ... Ie Green, Miles, Darko etc...

there were potentials alone that got snubbed and alot were quite jealous of what the outcome is. George, Cousins, Drummond,

there are those who prove that production can easily translate to nba .. Lilard , Broy,...

But you have to understand both randle and parker needs to be this good in order for them to win ...

this is not a knock on wiggins but that kansas team may have been a little under valued ... Ellis, Embid and Black is a freaking front court to have.. then there is Selden and White III .. As i have stated before even without wiggins this kansas team would still be a part of march madness... and maybe even more..

Without parker that duke team would be a joke sorry but that is the reality..
    Without randle sure there might be other guys that would step up from time to time but they (parker and randle) need to be consistent for their team to win.

If wiggins would have chosen FSU we might not even have this argument...
    If Wiggins had chosen FSU, he'd be putting up monster numbers. Bill Self has made it his mission to keep this kid humble, he said in the preseason he wasn't the best player in practice and he has been limiting his playing time and touches. I think in the long run this is the best motive, but the over-keen talking heads will twist and turn it every way they see fit.

As the season goes on we will see more and more Wiggins as he will slowly roll him out.

The Melo/T-Mac stuff is very apt, Parker is a stone-baller with silky skills while Wiggins is a human pogo who seems to be able to turn it on and out athlete better skilled players when the game is one the line (like the Nov. 12 game against Duke). I like Wiggins when push comes to shove, in a head to head game or in potential.

Regarding Randle, he could either be Zach Randolph or Jared Sullinger, the book is not yet written with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ass Dan
    If Wiggins had chosen FSU, he'd be putting up monster numbers. Bill Self has made it his mission to keep this kid humble, he said in the preseason he wasn't the best player in practice and he has been limiting his playing time and touches. I think in the long run this is the best motive, but the over-keen talking heads will twist and turn it every way they see fit.

As the season goes on we will see more and more Wiggins as he will slowly roll him out.

The Melo/T-Mac stuff is very apt, Parker is a stone-baller with silky skills while Wiggins is a human pogo who seems to be able to turn it on and out athlete better skilled players when the game is one the line (like the Nov. 12 game against Duke). I like Wiggins when push comes to shove, in a head to head game or in potential.

Regarding Randle, he could either be Zach Randolph or Jared Sullinger, the book is not yet written with him.

Great article on the greatness of Parker:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rmances-at-msg

Regarding Parker's defense, an NBA assistant, who has always felt Parker was the best talent over Randle, Wiggins, etc. said:

"I watched him (Parker) guard Kevin Durant for four straight days at Nike Skills Academy. Ask anybody what he did that week. He was ridiculous."