Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #16
Targus™
National High School Star

Default Re: What type of players do championship teams need?

on a side note, i don't think you can just say 2 superstars, 1 this, 2 that, etc. I think every team is different, there is just some things that work and others that dont. and it is also VERY hard to build a team upon that belief, so they find different ways.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #17
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
on a side note, i don't think you can just say 2 superstars, 1 this, 2 that, etc. I think every team is different, there is just some things that work and others that dont. and it is also VERY hard to build a team upon that belief, so they find different ways.

Yeah most teams are lucky to just GET 2 legit superstars, and then you have the problem of surrounding them with a bunch of complimentary players. That's why I like what Deborah said, get your young players to develop(plus add guys with a lottery pick or two) and stuff. Then make sure your team has players that compliments eachother. I think the basic formula for a championship team is 2-3 scorers/creators, then you get the defensive role players, rebounders, and energy guys.

BTW that formula I mentioned is the only thing that HAS beat the 2 superstars+specific player at each position formula. The Suns idea of putting together a bunch of good offensive players has worked but not well enough, Denver has the talent but not the defense, the Mavs have their star but Dirk has a bunch of holes in his game(no post game, mediocre rebounding, mediocre defender, etc), Houston has the tools and now the coach and support players so we'll see how that works out(but in the past it's been TMac/Yao/nobodies, so keep that in mind).

I mean look at the Spurs. Duncan IS a superstar, don't get me wrong. But he doesn't play like a Shaq or a Kobe. He's pretty unselfish. They have their other 2 scorers and then their defensive guys, they win with D. The 03-04 Pistons had their 2 main guys(Chauncey/Rip), then they had great D. So IMO we need to get another scorer next to Kevin and then a bunch of energy guys and defenders.

Last edited by BradMiller52 : 08-15-2007 at 01:27 AM.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
truwarrior93
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Yeah most teams are lucky to just GET 2 legit superstars, and then you have the problem of surrounding them with a bunch of complimentary players. That's why I like what Deborah said, get your young players to develop(plus add guys with a lottery pick or two) and stuff. Then make sure your team has players that compliments eachother. I think the basic formula for a championship team is 2-3 scorers/creators, then you get the defensive role players, rebounders, and energy guys.
BTW that formula I mentioned is the only thing that HAS beat the 2 superstars+specific player at each position formula. The Suns idea of putting together a bunch of good offensive players has worked but not well enough, Denver has the talent but not the defense, the Mavs have their star but Dirk has a bunch of holes in his game(no post game, mediocre rebounding, mediocre defender, etc), Houston has the tools and now the coach and support players so we'll see how that works out(but in the past it's been TMac/Yao/nobodies, so keep that in mind).

I mean look at the Spurs. Duncan IS a superstar, don't get me wrong. But he doesn't play like a Shaq or a Kobe. He's pretty unselfish. They have their other 2 scorers and then their defensive guys, they win with D. The 03-04 Pistons had their 2 main guys(Chauncey/Rip), then they had great D. So IMO we need to get another scorer next to Kevin and then a bunch of energy guys and defenders.

u just described the spurs...lol
truwarrior93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

The cool thing about the Kings is that they are only a few pieces away from having a very good team (given Ron Artest stays focused and doesn't monopolize the ball).

They have a prolific scorer in Kevin Martin, a lock-down defender in Ron Artest and now a low-post scoring threat in Spencer Hawes. Under the right coach and with the right motivation, Bibby can be a distributor and complementary scorer (he's solid at PG).

What the Kings need now is to cut some of the dead weight (Thomas, Abdur-Rahim, Salmons, Miller) and replace them with energy guys and rebounders. Justin Williams is a cheap fix in this regard. If they can get a few more players like him (but with a more polished offensive game), they will be a contender no problem.

But that's not really the direction we're taking right now. The Mikki Moore signing makes me scratch my head and wonder if we'll ever be able to pull out of all this nonsense. We're already buried in bad contracts.
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
King_Of_Kings1
Saw a basketball once

hawes is gonna be legit and justin williams IMO is the next ben wallace ( yeah i said it!)

petrie just signed moore just incase some bigs get injured like last year and we have backups.... so now the coach doesnt have any excuses....IMO if this mediocre team is coached right, its a 45 win team at best
King_Of_Kings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: