Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #1876
plowking
Verticle?

Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

I've heard oblique work is really good for your squat in terms of firing your QL, getting it stronger, taking work off the glute medius, and in the long run, just stabilizing you at the trunk far better.

I'm a big fan of planks, but that is because I know how to do them properly. I went to a sports physio, one that works with professional teams down here in Australia, and he showed me all the things I was doing wrong. Crazy how something we interpret as a pretty simple exercise can be done so wrong. Funnily enough this is something he got me to do when I was having scapula stability problems... He somehow told me how it was all linked and what not, but I can't really remember all of it.

Apart from that, I do a whole bunch of dragonflies, vacuums, reverse crunches, scissor kicks while lying, etc. Woodchopper variations and side planks are great for your obliques and QL.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #1877
SourSamCassell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I've heard oblique work is really good for your squat in terms of firing your QL, getting it stronger, taking work off the glute medius, and in the long run, just stabilizing you at the trunk far better.

I'm a big fan of planks, but that is because I know how to do them properly. I went to a sports physio, one that works with professional teams down here in Australia, and he showed me all the things I was doing wrong. Crazy how something we interpret as a pretty simple exercise can be done so wrong. Funnily enough this is something he got me to do when I was having scapula stability problems... He somehow told me how it was all linked and what not, but I can't really remember all of it.

Apart from that, I do a whole bunch of dragonflies, vacuums, reverse crunches, scissor kicks while lying, etc. Woodchopper variations and side planks are great for your obliques and QL.
Is the proper technique for a plank to have your shoulders overhead or something?
SourSamCassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #1878
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourSamCassell
Is the proper technique for a plank to have your shoulders overhead or something?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

For me it was more about tucking everything onto/into my ribs essentially, and maintaining as neutral a spine as possible, taking everything off the back and onto the abs.

It was nuts, seeing how proficient I was at most compound lifts, but he got me to do a proper plank and I could barely hold one for 15 seconds. I used to do them with mates in the gym and we'd have competitions for like 4 or so minutes, but it was all wrong. As soon as the physio got me to do it properly, I felt a burning in my abs I'd never felt before.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #1879
ThickassGlasses
Serious playground baller

Quote:

Take a PVC pipe or broom stick and have someone place it on your back while in a plank.

You should have your head, between your shoulder blades, and your tailbone touching it at all times. So you have to retract, and depress your shoulder, tuck your chin, and roll your hips under you. The last is the hardest for people to understand, the best que I ever gave someone for that when training them was "Try to put your di** into your belly button". Sounds odd, but literally try and you'll feel everything in your core fire.

Bret Contreras is big on the RKC plank so your elbows are out in from of your head versus directly below your shoulders. Same rules still apply, it's just elongating the lever.
ThickassGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #1880
ThickassGlasses

Quote:
hey fellas what are your opinion on core/ab work?

I've been wondering why my lifts have been funky for awhile especially the overhead press and I realize its that my abs are weak and i don't do enough anti extension exercises or direct ab work... It is clear that in the squat and deadlift they are not working that hard because my other muscles are compensating, hence why my strength is sort of funking around over the last month or so... It will be nice to see my strength shoot up after I get a good month or two in of ab work...

Just wondering on the best core exercises? I'm reading conflicting shit about spinal and lateral flexion exercises opposed to isometric, rigid flexion resisting exercises... Either way I don't think it really matters, I'll probably implement both... flexion exercises first to activate the muscles then progress later on to the resisting flexion ones...

As for this, I'd start with planks and side planks. After that, my favorite and only thing I do regularly are roll-outs.

Same rules about spinal alignment apply, you just roll out as far as you can maintaining the position and just work your way farther out.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #1881
SourSamCassell
Banned

That guy needs to get more hip extension or he's loading the back too mcuh
Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #1882
ThickassGlasses

Quote:
That guy needs to get more hip extension or he's loading the back too mcuh

His hips look to be fully extended.

I would venture a guess that he is in lumbar extension but you can't tell until you see him standing and locked in. Most athletic people do have a noticeable lumbar extension even if in a neutral position, so it's more important that it doesn't change throughout the movement versus how exactly it looks.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #1883
SourSamCassell
Banned

It's a bad angle

Excessive lumbar extension kind of defeats the purpose of a plank

They call it neutral spine even though the natural spine position has a slight lordosis curve in the lumbar region

Lumbar extension can be sometimes hard to notice in the more muscular.. Appears to look like a flat back compared to a novice who lacks the muscle in the spinal erectors
Old 04-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #1884
SourSamCassell
Banned

When I've done planks in the past I've always tried to minimize the lumbar extension

Focusing on the recruitment of the abs and glutes... Going into a slight posterior pelvic tilt which is what I do with my barbell hip thrusts as well usually if I want to put most the weight on the glutes...
Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #1885
JohnnySic
green is good

For some reason I find it amusing when I get to the gym at 6 am and people are already done and leaving.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #1886
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

I want to get fast.

Really, really fast. Really bad.

Tips?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #1887
PullupJay
Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
I want to get fast.

Tips?
Check out chris from stregnth camp

He's got a lot of useful ideas regarding improving running and jumping .

He breaks down the mechanics coherently and should help you.
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #1888
SourSamCassell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
I want to get fast.

Tips?
Mobility + strength in big three

barbell hip thrusts; Emphasize hip extension... you'll notice most olympic sprinters have a slight apt when they run. This is advantageous because it allows for a longer and more dramatic hip extension

Look up and read about the psoas hip flexor... Implement some 90 degree+ knee holds... Check out this article about it... Psoas are like the anterior version of the glutes; http://www.just-fly-sports.com/best-...-on-the-psoas/

Check out Kelly Baggett too. He is pretty much one of the best minds...

And of course technique shit
Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #1889
Im Still Ballin
well well well

Ordered the bad boys yesterday.

Swag. Squat is going to like this.
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #1890
Im Still Ballin
well well well

Alright guys need some suggestions as to what extra shit I can throw in my routine; pretty much just doing a basic texas method right now

Monday (volume)
5x5 squat at 90% 5rm
5x5 bench at 90% 5rm
1x5 deadlift at 90% 5rm
3 sets of heavy dumbell rows... mainly strict until last set form resembles more croc rows

Wednesay (recovery)
2x5 pause squats at like 80% of mondays weight
2x5 overhead press
3xfailure wide grip chins/weighted
3x8 barbell hip thrusts
2x10 weighted back extensions

Friday (intensity)
1x5 new squat repmax PR
1x5 new bench rep max PR
3x5 heavy rows from the ground

I want to chuck in some extra ab work (weighted planks/side planks/90 degree bench sit ups/ab wheel) and most likely some upper body bodybuilding extra volume.. probably arm work and chest, tris get enough work....

Give us some suggestions
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: