Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Mark Cuban is talking about creating an NCAA playoff system.

Quote:
DALLAS -- After two failed bids to buy a Major League Baseball team, billionaire Mark Cuban is seriously considering trying to use his money to create a playoff alternative to college football's Bowl Championship Series.

Cuban, the outspoken owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, told ESPNDallas.com on Wednesday that he is "actively interested but in the exploratory stage" of creating and funding a playoff system to crown a champion for major college football.

"The more I think about it, the more sense it makes as opposed to buying a baseball team," said Cuban, who tried to buy the Chicago Cubs and Texas Rangers within the last few years. "You can do something the whole country wants done."

Cuban said he has talked to two athletic directors from BCS conferences who were extremely enthusiastic about the idea. He intends to contact several school presidents and state senators in the coming weeks to determine whether the idea is worth pursuing.

Cuban said he envisions either a 12- or 16-team playoff field with the higher seeds getting homefield advantage. The homefield advantage, Cuban said, would ensure the college football regular-season games would not lose any importance.

The bowl games could still exist under Cuban's plan, but he said he would make it more profitable for programs to make the playoffs than a bowl.

"Put $500 million in the bank and go to all the schools and pay them money as an option," Cuban said. "Say, 'Look, I'm going to give you X amount every five years. In exchange, you say if you're picked for the playoff system, you'll go.' "

One way to push school presidents toward approving the idea would be to lobby major donors of college athletic programs, Cuban said. He suggested convincing the donors to cut off their donations until their presidents approved a playoff system.

Cuban, who is reading the book "Death to the BCS," said he thinks it would take about three or four years of planning before enacting the playoff system. He believes it's a better business opportunity than owning a baseball team, and he admits he's intrigued by the idea of revolutionizing a major sport.

"It's an inefficient business where there's obviously a better way of doing it," Cuban said. "The only thing that's kept them from doing it is a lack of capital, which I can deal with.

"The one thing every college football fan wants you can probably create for less than it takes to buy a baseball team."
I've always thought a playoff system would overall generate more money. I hope Cuban can do this. But I don't think it helps that he "suggested convincing the donors to cut off their donations until their presidents approved a playoff system." College presidents are arrogant pricks like everyone else in positions of high authority and they would undoubtedly grow hostile towards any perceived strong arm tactics by Cuban. Ultimately Cuban's real motive here is probably to just garner more attention for himself.

But he may be laying part of the framework for whoever does finally fix college football.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: Mark Cuban is talking about creating an NCAA playoff system.

Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Sky2k8336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I've always thought a playoff system would overall generate more money. I hope Cuban can do this. But I don't think it helps that he "suggested convincing the donors to cut off their donations until their presidents approved a playoff system." College presidents are arrogant pricks like everyone else in positions of high authority and they would undoubtedly grow hostile towards any perceived strong arm tactics by Cuban. Ultimately Cuban's real motive here is probably to just garner more attention for himself.

But he may be laying part of the framework for whoever does finally fix college football.

This would be really great for college football. I do however think that only the top 8 teams should be used in a playoff system. If you're outside of the top 8 rankings I don't think you should have an opportunity to win the title. Not to mention, I don't think any team outside of the top 8 right now is good enough to run the playoff table anyway.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Jackass18
The Iron Price

You could say the same thing for college basketball. Most of those teams don't have a realistic chance at winning. I like 16 the most but, I'd be happy with 8.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18

+1
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
You could say the same thing for college basketball. Most of those teams don't have a realistic chance at winning. I like 16 the most but, I'd be happy with 8.

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
SittingWolf
I airball my layups

If he pulls this off, he will be a national hero. in the meantime he will just be that rich douchebag who yells a lot at mavs games.
SittingWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Not gonna happen. Too much money and power vested in the bowl system. Also there is tons of tradition that gets thrown out the window. The Rose Bowl has been played for like 100 years.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Not gonna happen. Too much money and power vested in the bowl system. Also there is tons of tradition that gets thrown out the window. The Rose Bowl has been played for like 100 years.
It probably won't be due to Cuban but some day the BCA is going to have to be revamped at the least. Possibly keep the bowls and then just have a playoff after it but too many people want a new system for this to continue as is forever.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: