Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Historically, how good is Tony Parker?

So, Tony Parker is pretty damn good.

Is he a HOFer? First ballot? Top ten all time PG? Better than Iverson or not? Cousy? Tim Hardaway? Penny Hardaway? What players do you think he's most like?

I don't know, myself. It's hard to say. He's a system player, but he's such a great one. He's the best layup shooter I've ever seen. I haven't seen him miss a midrange jumpshot off a pick since 2006. He's the best player on a perennial contender and has been for years. Yet I have a tough time saying he's even top ten right now.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Historically, how good is Tony Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    So, Tony Parker is pretty damn good.

Is he a HOFer? First ballot? Top ten all time PG? Better than Iverson or not? Cousy? Tim Hardaway? Penny Hardaway? What players do you think he's most like?

I don't know, myself. It's hard to say. He's a system player, but he's such a great one. He's the best layup shooter I've ever seen. I haven't seen him miss a midrange jumpshot off a pick since 2006. He's the best player on a perennial contender and has been for years. Yet I have a tough time saying he's even top ten right now.

Any thoughts?
    Not sure that I agree with that.

He has the GOAT floater though, incredible stuff.

Not sure that I agree with that.

I'm not sure I agree with it either. Up until a few months ago I wouldn't have said it. I'm also not sure whether "best player on the Spurs" is even a meaningful honor. They're a collective, and Duncan is undoubtedly the foundation of that if any player is. But the offense really is Tony Parker's. They lean on him quite heavily. Ginobili is sunsetting, Duncan doesn't do any more than any given role player most nights, and otherwise all they have is set shooters and decent post players.

He's a first ballot hall of famer. He has a solid international and NBA Resume. TP9 is a top 2 PG this season.

I'm not sure I agree with it either. Up until a few months ago I wouldn't have said it. I'm also not sure whether "best player on the Spurs" is even a meaningful honor. They're a collective, and Duncan is undoubtedly the foundation of that if any player is. But the offense really is Tony Parker's. They lean on him quite heavily. Ginobili is sunsetting, Duncan doesn't do any more than any given role player most nights, and otherwise all they have is set shooters and decent post players.
    Agreed.

Banned

I agree he's a tough dude to judge in terms of all time context.

His game actually reminds me of Isiah Thomas.

It's hard to say how he'd be perceived outside the context of the Spurs system and success.

Honestly tho, the way he's played the last couple years to me is comparable to what dwayne wade was for most of his career. he could dominate individually in a pretty efficient way, but at the end of the day without a quality team around him how far can he actually go with a team?

people sort of forget that between the shaq years and the big 3 years, wade's heat really werne't much of a factor, despite how great wade was. to me, that's what you'd get with Tony Parker in a different situation.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

He's another one of those players where his stats aren't superstar level.. but he just knows how to win games.

He's like Gasol, a great player at what he does, but not a top 10 kind of player.

Banned

I'm also not sure whether "best player on the Spurs" is even a meaningful honor.

Exactly. Why can't the difference between Duncan and Parker be just considered negligible? People always have to figure out "who's 1 and who's 2" in order to figure out how to dole out credit.

Why don't you just look at a guy's game and just make your points based on that?

everyone falls back on these cliches about "who is the man, how many rings he has, best player on a contender, second option, batman and robin" etc.

Mark of a simple mind.

He is a player with great talent and his personality and attitude is not of a diva or prima donna.

His style is or looks very conventional (minus his trade mark tear drop shot).

He is or was really quick. He's a great ball handler and has a style that is controlled and disciplined and still looks somewhat compelling as a baller.

He always reminded of Kevin Johnson. A super quick guard who drives and who became a good to great jump shooter.

Somehow I think he falls under the radar when it comes to elite player or PG discussions.

I don't know about future accolades like HOF or whatever. But damn once he will retire he may fade as an after thought because he wasn't as talked about today. Too many people talking and still talking about controversial players like AI or Marbury (for being crazy with no team success despite having all the skill set of a great PG).

I can imagine when he could do if he had more freedom on a team like OKC or Chicago that let RWB or D Rose run loose.

It truly amazes me how good he is in the paint. Not even point-blank, but toward the outside of the paint too. I look at this guy, who is shorter than I am, scoring with ease over the best defensive players in the world, doing more than I can do against rec league competition.

people sort of forget that between the shaq years and the big 3 years, wade's heat really werne't much of a factor, despite how great wade was. to me, that's what you'd get with Tony Parker in a different situation.
    How many years has he had like that though? I remember his rookie year well. He overachieved with a young group that had no size. Took the Pacers, who were a 60 win team, to 6.

I don't think I've seen Parker take over like Wade did in the Finals against the Mavs. To me, Wade is closer to Lebron than to Parker.

--

I'll say one thing.... I don't know where Parker "ranks"... but regardless of where that is I can tell you with certainty that there are at least a dozen guys "ranked" higher who I would take Parker over.

Maybe even at his own position. Every time I watch him I just beam with pride. He's the rare example of a player who couldn't have turned out better than he did. Totally maximized his potential.

National High School Star

Duncan doesn't do any more than any given role player most nights, and otherwise all they have is set shooters and decent post players.

LMAO. stop posting. Duncan is first team all nba this year, no doubt about it.

Tony , Tim and Manu are first ballot HOFers.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    He's like Gasol, a great player at what he does, but not a top 10 kind of player.
    You mean Marc or Pau? Because Pau was a top 10 caliber player 2-3 seasons and Parker has been the last couple of seasons.

Yeah, Parker was definitely top 10 in the league at least twice in his career.

He's clearly a HoFer based on his resume. He's the classic "2nd/3rd option on a multiple championship team who proved he could also be the 1st". Those tend to get into the HoF.