Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Can Someone Critique This Weightlifting Split

I'm Trying to lose some weight for beach season...I think I'm gonna try to do some Insanity workouts and Weightlifting. My weight lifting resources are minimal. I actually have a gym membership for now(just cancelled) but my partner doesn't so we are gonna use the gym in our building.

Monday(Chest/Back) + (Insanity Cardio Plyometrics)

Tuesday(Shoulders and Bi's/Tri's)

Wednesday(Insanity Pure Cardio)

Thursday(Chest/Back)

Friday(Shoulders and Bi's/Tri's)+(Insanity Cardio Plyometrics)

Saturday rest. Sunday- Bball if it is nice out.

Is that too much? I'm hoping to drop around 15 pounds in 3 months before the big bday.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Can Someone Critique This Weightlifting Split

Chest/back is too many big muscle groups in 1 day. You won't have enough gas to properly hit back if you do chest first, or vice versa. Also work your legs for the love of god.

Monday: Chest - Bench, Flyes, Incline DB, Cable Crossover
Tuesday: Back - Pullups/Pulldowns, Dumbbell Rows, Straight Arm Pulldowns, Seated Rows
Wednesday: Legs - Squat/Legpress, Leg Extensions, Hamstring Curls, Lunges
Thursday: Arms - Ez Bar Curls, Hammer Curls, Reverse Curls, Rope Extensions, Skullcrushers, Tricep Extensions
Friday: Shoulders - DB Shoulder Press, Upright Rows, Lateral Raises, Reverse Flyes

You also don't need to do that insanity crap. Just get on the elliptical or treadmill after your workout. Steady state cardio is going to help you burn fat and retain muscle, if you start going too high intensity you will lose muscle. You want to get your heart rate up to 140-150 and keep it there for about half an hour.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Also remember what you put in your mouth is going to have a bigger impact on your results than your workout. Lose the fast food, quit drinking as much, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't do everyday or the same group 2x/week personally.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

I've been doing this for over a year straight and am pretty content with it:

Monday: Back - Lat pulldowns, etc.
Tuesday: Chest - Cable cross, bench, dumbell press
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Back again
Friday: Chest again
Weekends: Off or I'll do some basketball, running, and/or legs again.

I never work bi's by themselves since the back workouts do plenty and bi's are little bitch muscles anyway. Triceps I'll definitely work on their own if I can't make it the gym for chest. Of course throw abdominal exercise in there, but you can pretty much do those whenever (although they sometimes interfere with chest workouts if they're really sore).
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Also remember what you put in your mouth is going to have a bigger impact on your results than your workout. Lose the fast food, quit drinking as much, etc.

yea, I'm doing the diet from Insanity. It seems easy to follow and sustainable. I'm not doing legs because I thought the insanity cardio would be OK for that?

Also, I forgot to mention that the little gym I am using is barebones. It only has dumbbells, a bench, no free weights and a universal gym(no pull up bars or dips)...Hope it is enough, I wasn't going to the gym and can't justify the expense if I don't use it.

got any good back exercises for with dumbbells?

Quote:
You also don't need to do that insanity crap. Just get on the elliptical or treadmill after your workout.

what is wrong wit Insanity? Seems fun. Is it to intense? I'll let you guys know after tonight. Shaun T looks crazy on that crap.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
what is wrong wit Insanity? Seems fun. Is it to intense? I'll let you guys know after tonight. Shaun T looks crazy on that crap.
It's really intense. I did it all last summer and it was hard to get a good lift in on the same day. I would do it in the morning and then lift at night. Great for getting cut though.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
yea, I'm doing the diet from Insanity. It seems easy to follow and sustainable. I'm not doing legs because I thought the insanity cardio would be OK for that?

Also, I forgot to mention that the little gym I am using is barebones. It only has dumbbells, a bench, no free weights and a universal gym(no pull up bars or dips)...Hope it is enough, I wasn't going to the gym and can't justify the expense if I don't use it.

got any good back exercises for with dumbbells?

Insanity/P90X will get you in better cardio shape no doubt, but if you're just trying to look good naked skip those. They are going eat your muscle away like nothing else. Lift weights and stick to boring old steady state cardio.

How heavy are your dumbbells? This is my primary back movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcpY20QaE8

Dumbbell rows. But you need some heavier dumbbells, I'd say atleast 50-60 lbs even for a beginner. I use 120s for sets of 15-20.

You can also grab a dumbbell between your feet and do weighted pull ups.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Insanity/P90X will get you in better cardio shape no doubt, but if you're just trying to look good naked skip those. They are going eat your muscle away like nothing else. Lift weights and stick to boring old steady state cardio.

How heavy are your dumbbells? This is my primary back movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcpY20QaE8

Dumbbell rows. But you need some heavier dumbbells, I'd say atleast 50-60 lbs even for a beginner. I use 120s for sets of 15-20.

You can also grab a dumbbell between your feet and do weighted pull ups.

they go up to 60 pounds. Im pretty much a beginner so the dumbbells will prob work for me.

My primary goal is losing weight. I'm not that worried about muscle, I have always been able to put it on very quick. Getting the weight down has been a struggle though.

Quote:
It's really intense. I did it all last summer and it was hard to get a good lift in on the same day. I would do it in the morning and then lift at night. Great for getting cut though.

it seems tough. I'm going to try it today. If it is too intense I may just go to regular cardio but that often bores me...maybe do basketball 3 days a week? something about the treadmill really rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 04-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
it seems tough. I'm going to try it today. If it is too intense I may just go to regular cardio but that often bores me...maybe do basketball 3 days a week? something about the treadmill really rubs me the wrong way.
Just go at your own pace, you're not expected to keep up with Shaun from the get go.. it's pretty fun. You'll get used to it pretty quickly.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
they go up to 60 pounds. Im pretty much a beginner so the dumbbells will prob work for me.

My primary goal is losing weight. I'm not that worried about muscle, I have always been able to put it on very quick. Getting the weight down has been a struggle though.

You should think of as you're trying to lose fat, not lose weight.

You want to lift weights to keep the muscle you have, and do low intensity cardio to burn off the extra fat.

If you just try to lose weight you're just going to end up looking like a smaller version of yourself. It's called "skinny fat".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: