Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
percelloveknicks
Straight Hardcore

Default Mozgov benched Chandler starting

So the Knicks make do with the little they have. They moved Amar'e Stoudemire over to center, benched Mozgov, their big Russian rookie, and promoted Wilson Chandler to a starting role. Bottom line: It didn't matter as the Knicks' fourth-quarter rally fell short and they lost their third straight game, 122-117. For a night, Stoudemire had more room to operate and had his best scoring game as a Knick, albeit against some pretty poor defenders wearing the Warriors' classy new uniforms. But after going for 33 points, he hardly left the Garden a happy soul. NY Daily News

Last edited by insidehoops : 11-11-2010 at 03:24 PM.
percelloveknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Mozgov benched Chandler starting

They are playing much better right now too. I like this line up much more than with Mozgov starting at center.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Snoop_Cat
Banned

My favorite part of this move: Amare will be forced to play much more in the block.

I really, really, really also hope that Gallinari will be able to use his height and develop more into a Dirk-esque player.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Some days the defense is there, and some days it's not. The Knicks are better than this.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I don't like Amare playing center.I think you put your best player at his most natural position and make everyone else fit in around him.I woulda brought Turiaf into the starting lineup @ the C position.They worked well together, especially with the Hi Lo stuff.My lineup would be

C-Turiaf
PF-STAT
SF-Chandler
SG-Gallo
PG-Felton
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I don't like Amare playing center.I think you put your best player at his most natural position and make everyone else fit in around him.I woulda brought Turiaf into the starting lineup @ the C position.They worked well together, especially with the Hi Lo stuff.My lineup would be

C-Turiaf
PF-STAT
SF-Chandler
SG-Gallo
PG-Felton
That's not gonna work. Not enough ballhandlers. Let's face it, Felton gives the ball up a lot. He can't maintain his dribble the entire possession like CP3 or Nash does. He's just not that crafty so it forces the other players to try and create for themselves and as we've seen it doesn't look good. Wil's fine driving open lanes, but if he has to maneuver through a defense, his handle isn't strong enough to hold on to the ball. He WILL turn it over. Same thing with Gallo. And Amare ends up having to ISO from 20+ feet out and going on a turnover spree himself. We need Fields out there to hide Felton's inability to create.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

OK but who exactly IS a good ball handler on our team? It isnt like we have someone on the bench with handle.Our whole team lacks ball handling no matter what lineup we put out there and Felton is still going to be our pg until we trade him or his contract runs out so.... Fields isnt Skip to my Lou himself.I dont get how he's a the answer to our ballhandling problems or how his handle is irreplaceable in our starting lineup.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
OK but who exactly IS a good ball handler on our team? It isnt like we have someone on the bench with handle.Our whole team lacks ball handling no matter what lineup we put out there and Felton is still going to be our pg until we trade him or his contract runs out so.... Fields isnt Skip to my Lou himself.I dont get how he's a the answer to our ballhandling problems or how his handle is irreplaceable in our starting lineup.

Thanks.

I'm going to watch some vintage Skip To My Lou videos.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Fields is a far better ballhandler than Wil or Gallo. I'm not talking And1 nonsense. I'm talking about functional ballhandling. He gets where he needs to go and he doesn't lose control of the ball. He also doesn't dribble with his head DOWN like Chandler often does. Douglas is a good ballhandler. He can maintain speed and control with the ball. That's all you need from a ballhandler. Fields is irreplaceable not in the sense that he's Magic Johnson out there but because everyone on the team is that much worse, ballhandling-wise for the SG position. I'm not saying run everything through Fields. But if he's out there he can share the responsibilities with Felton. If you have Felton/Gallo/Chandler as your 1, 2, and 3, the offense will completely suck. Again, I'm not saying Fields is this superstar, but if you look up and down the roster, there's nobody creative enough at those guard spots. Chandler's sort of a 1 or 2 dribble guy and then shot or layup. If he can't get off a shot or layup, it turns into an offensive foul, turnover, or bad shot. Same with Gallo, but he has SLIGHTLY better control of the ball but not by much because he's 6'10.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Ever since the change, the Knicks have been losing. Chandler off the bench is key I believe.

That, or we really miss Turiaf.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Knicks are winless in the last 4. 2 losses with Chandler on the bench, and 2 losses with Chandler starting. The problem is not with Chandler, or ballhandlers, or anything with the backcourt really. Our problem is our size in the frontcourt. The expectation was that Mozgov would provide some size for us, grab some rebounds, and be somewhat of an intimidation in the middle. It turns out he can barely stay on the court without fouling out. Then Turiaf gets hurt and we have completely lost all our size up front.

As long as we lack rebounding and height, we will not have a chance in any game other than a huge shootout.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
New York Knicks
Banned

Running an efficient offense makes playing defense MUCH easier. We can use a set defense off of made baskets or good shots instead of scrambling in transition all the time. As long as Felton is here and we're running this fast-paced offense, we won't win. He's not that type of PG. He's more of an Eric Snow, Derek Fisher, grind-it-out type of PG. D'Antoni's system has always relied on offense and it worked beautifully in Phoenix because he had the point guard to run it.

I think the Knicks need to decide on one of two things:
1. Keep D'Antoni and his fast-paced offense, but dump Felton for a better playmaking PG
2. Fire D'Antoni and play a slower offense and keep Felton

The problem with #2 is the entire team outside of Felton excels in a fast-paced PG-reliant offense. In a slower traditional offense, Amare would turn into David West. He'd be out there doing his isos and shooting jumpers even more than he is now.

The other team is always rebounding the ball off jumpers and running the break because we're not getting good shots. Guys can't get back quickly enough if the offense is run so poorly. I've lost count the number of times a guy is WIDE open under the basket and Felton never gets him the ball. Or the number of times Felton throws the ball right to the guy defending him. It's absurd. We're 9 games in and he's still playing like a moron.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: