Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Default Looking for Resume (CV) tips ...

I'm in my final year at uni and the application process for 2010 graduates has just started in Australia.

Over the next four weeks I will send off about 40 different application forms looking for work. Each of these applications will contain the same resume (pretty much) so I need to get it right.

Basically I'm looking for tips from ISHers on things like:

- the structure
- what to put in
- what to leave out
- the cover letter (I've heard that people massively understate the importance of it)
- the font
- the length

Any other tips or random input would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: changed the title because I'm not sure if Americans use the word "Resume"
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Default Re: Looking for Resume (CV) tips ...

Google
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Depends dude. Are you straight out of college? Do you have some work experience?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Depends dude. Are you straight out of college? Do you have some work experience?
Yeah I have a decent amount of experience as a tutor and research assistant.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
Yeah I have a decent amount of experience as a tutor and research assistant.

Hmmm I could give you some tips if you were coming out of school. Anyways i would say it varies, some say don't make the resume more then a page and others disagree. But if your going for a tutor or research assistant, I would advise you to make the resume look as standard as possible (size 16 for header and size 12 for normal) and don't get too creative with it and try to include the achievements you made at your past jobs.

Good luck and there's a bunch of templates you can find online.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
vapid
Paranoid Android

My cover letter for ibanks/consultancys have been structured like this:

Address of person you are adressing (always find a person's name)

Dear whoever,

1st paragraph: I want to apply to the _____ position at your firm because of: (something the firm does that stands out compared to its competitors, if you've talked to someone at the firm about their experience you could also tie that in somehow and why that this choice is suited to what you are looking for)

2nd paragraph: Why you are suited for the firm from your past experiences, I would focus on one thing here, your cover letter can't be too long.

Last part: thank the person and tell them you will contact them in a few weeks about the application

For resumes, you might want to check on Australian standards, but I wouldn't have a resume beyond 2 pages. Personally I fit everything on 1 page. I would start out with education, then relevant work experience, then extracurricular, followed by any other interests if you have space. Contact details at the top as well.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
crounsa810
National High School Star

Definitely look for templates. There's a lot around. Definitely don't make it longer than a page. That's the going rule. The people doing the hiring want to look @ as little as possible. Don't make it too fancy, but make it nice. No colored paper, unless it's like a parchment paper etc. For a cover letter, just make it straight & to the point. Once again, they don't want to have to read a lot. They have hundreds of cover letters, resumes, to look through. Make it something that will catch their eye, but not something that will go "WTF?". I know, it's very contradictory, but resumes are very specific. If you do something, one little thing, different from what they want then they will just throw it away. Make sure you research the company too. They like when you show interest & knowledge about the company. That would go into your cover letter.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: