Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here
Default Are the Lakers in trouble in the near future

I say this not from a talent standpoint, but from a financial standpoint. the hornets are kind of in the same situation as us, good young player probably gonna get the max, but have many bloated contracts. The lakers have 3 of the top 30 salaries, i think the only team to have such. But with Bynums progress we will have to shell out more dough. And although the Buss' said money will not hinder our signings, they might change they way we go after role players. I am not a pessimist at all, I love this team and last year would have never thought we would be in this position. But I hope management doesnt start to change the path because of $, remember the Shaq situation was about $, (not beef), we waived Shaw in 2001 or 02 for $ (although we resigned him). What do you guys think???????

Last edited by praneel : 02-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are the Lakers in trouble in the near future

nah..bus has never had a problem spending money..he's not foolish with it by any stretch..but he'll do what's best... besides as big as the salary is it's been bigger
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think the Lakers will be ok, I think the Buss family will deal with the 74 mil salary commited for this year and next. Don't forget Odom expires after next year so he could become a lux tax casualty.

I wouldn't expect any major shakeup though. The core of Bryant/Gasol/Bynum isn't going to change for the next few years.

If the cap number becomes a problem I would expect that they would start with Vlad and Walton to purge salary IF they can find takers for them.

With just about every team over the cap, I really expect some kind of major change with the cap system in the next CBA agreement.

Some changes I think could happen are:
-Teams will be able to have long contracts non-guaranteed for the later years.
-Team can buy out the contract and have that number erased from the cap.
-Lux tax system may get some exceptions, perhaps when signing current players when your are already over the cap that extra amount wont count as lux tax.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
nah..bus has never had a problem spending money..he's not foolish with it by any stretch..but he'll do what's best... besides as big as the salary is it's been bigger

good....man I really hope that they dont deal lamar.
dude is a baller.
What is the least that he can resign with us??
and what will he likelt accept?
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Kobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation here

Always remember, we can always have this exact team, b/c we are always allowed to Resign our own player even if it will put us over the cap

so
kobe
gasol
bynum
all locked up for a few yrs

LO [if we let him go, we wont be able to sign som1 else, maybe SnT]

farmar

sasha

ariza

turiaf

can all be signed for there few mill a yr
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
good....man I really hope that they dont deal lamar.
dude is a baller.
What is the least that he can resign with us??
and what will he likelt accept?
you know that's a hard question that i think only lamar can answer..he's talked about retiring when it's over... he's still reeling from the loss of his son, and i'm sure he will be for many years to come... so it's all going to be does lamar want to play...if so does lamr want to play anywhere or is it just LA
if he just wants to play in LA then he'll take a salary cut, or a contract extension for another year or two...
if he's willing to play anywhere he'll probably get offered a contract near to what he hs now...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
you know that's a hard question that i think only lamar can answer..he's talked about retiring when it's over... he's still reeling from the loss of his son, and i'm sure he will be for many years to come... so it's all going to be does lamar want to play...if so does lamr want to play anywhere or is it just LA
if he just wants to play in LA then he'll take a salary cut, or a contract extension for another year or two...
if he's willing to play anywhere he'll probably get offered a contract near to what he hs now...

I don't think that the loss of the son is hurting him anymore. He's over it and it's normal as he has other children and has a lot to live ahead of him. By the time his contract expires, I'm sure this won't be an issue.
The thing with Lamar is: will he be effective when Bynum comes back?
If the answer is yes, I think he would want to stay in a winning team and the Lakers would want to keep him. Of course this will be for a cheaper contract. I don't see Odom earning anything more than 10 M a season (while his expiring will be around 14M, if I remember well) and I think he could settle in LA for 4 years - 35-40M or something around that. Keep in mind that he's proven to be a third option rather than a second, and there's no team willing to pay a third option more than 10M a year.
The problem start if he cannot coexist in some way together with Bynum and Gasol.
In this case LA would probably let him go and it's hard to think they will try to pursue a S&T: Lamar's value is not so high and LA would be unwilling to add a big salary without knowing if it fits with the rest of the team.
Once he's in the open market it's diffcult to say what he will get. He's a great all-around player, but he's not the 20 point scorer or the banger, or the great shooter and he's a long injury history.
So, again, something around 10M a year is a good guess, provided that he's healthy enough during the offseason!
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
I don't think that the loss of the son is hurting him anymore. He's over it and it's normal as he has other children and has a lot to live ahead of him.
lol obviously not a parent...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
lol obviously not a parent...

Exactly... for those of you who are not parents, losing a child is something you NEVER get over. You just do your best to cope.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
BloodyRain
I hit open 5-footers

BloodyRain has an OK reputation so far

I think I remember reading somewhere that Lamar want's to retire a Laker.

And he's trying really hard right now, I think he'll do what he can to stay on the Lakers.
BloodyRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
andredpg
I airball my layups

andredpg has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

i wouldnt be so sure.
i agree - Buss is willing spend money, but still, he will not pay 100 mio, lets be realistic. Bynum will demand max he can get. Farmar, Ariza, Vujacic - will demand more $ also. And how about turiaf, i can see him signing somewhere else for 3-4 mio.
So, keeping all those players, after 2-3 years we will be DEEP in lux tax.
Thats why i am sure that kupchak will have shake things up to keep the best players for min $.
What I would do:
Keep the core with Kobe/Gasol/Bynum + Odom (but max 10 for him)
Do not re-sign DFish (if so, do it for vets min). Re-sign Farmar and make him PG-starter, find a cheap support, preferably veteran PG for vet min, who is looking for rings.
Keep ariza. Keep Turiaf.
Give Walton & Radman significant playing time in 1st half of next season and then trade them both for cap relief and/or rookies. Get rid of Mihm.
Keep vujacic, but not for much (max. 3 mio).

i'm not looking at it as a problem, but i'm pretty sure that after 3 years our roster will look totally diffrent, with structure:
3-4 core players with high salaries
3-4 main backup players with 3-6 mio
3-4 vets
3-4 rookies
andredpg is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: