Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #31
the GIBBET
Banned

Default Re: Moving out on a tight budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I'm going to skip out on internet, cable, and a cell phone(maybe) and use school internet for a couple months until I have a steady source of income..

Definitely a good way to go. When I first moved to LA I used the internet at the public library and got along totally fine. You'll be surprised how easy it is to adjust to things like that once you actually do them. It's really no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Oh and any ideas for grocery shopping that will be nutritious and still be cheap?

Get a club card at every grocery store and go to each one for discounts. Sometimes at Ralphs they'll have strawberries on sale for 99 cents per carton, and then at Vons the eggs will be on sale. At Trader Joe's they might have a special on chicken breast etc. Cheap, healthy eat aren't hard to find if you look.

Also, walk when you can. Saves on gas or public transportation. People would be surprised at how easy it is to walk distances that they've gotten used to perceiving as "far"
the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #32
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Moving out on a tight budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GIBBET
Definitely a good way to go. When I first moved to LA I used the internet at the public library and got along totally fine. You'll be surprised how easy it is to adjust to things like that once you actually do them. It's really no big deal.

Get a club card at every grocery store and go to each one for discounts. Sometimes at Ralphs they'll have strawberries on sale for 99 cents per carton, and then at Vons the eggs will be on sale. At Trader Joe's they might have a special on chicken breast etc. Cheap, healthy eat aren't hard to find if you look.

Also, walk when you can. Saves on gas or public transportation. People would be surprised at how easy it is to walk distances that they've gotten used to perceiving as "far"
good tips. You will get the best bargains if you shop as many stores as possible each week, but it will eat a lot of time (you can get some idea of the deals from the weekly flyers, but there are generally more in the store than in the flyers). Also, figure out when they mark-down soon to expire items. You can save a ton on meats, dairy, breads, produce, etc if you time it right (and make sure you are willing to eat that product in the next day or so).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: