Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #211
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018 pre-season!

https://thejnotes.com/2018/10/17/uta...40th-season/3/

Quote:
Coach Snyder. Quin Snyder is a mastermind. Since he joined the Jazz in 2014, the team has posted 38-44, 40-42, 51-31, and 48-34 records. His defensively-minded coaching style is very reminiscent of how Jerry Sloan led the team, a style that fits Utah very well.

What is his record without Gobert? It's among the worst in the league during that time.

Quote:
Ricky Rubio. The Spanish Samurai is better in Utah than he’s ever been. It has been downright fun to watch Ricky Rubio transform into his role with the Jazz. The Thief had one of his best seasons last year and we should be ready for him to improve as he becomes more comfortable in Coach Snyder’s system. I expect that he will improve in all major stat categories this year, but I feel that there is a lot of room for growth in his assists.

Better than ever or one of his best seasons?

Quote:
3-Point Barrages. Utah’s got one of the best 3-point shooters out there in Joe Ingles. On a good night any one of Mitchell, Allen, and Rubio can be very legitimate threats also. I would like to see Royce O’Neale improve this aspect of his game; he’s a strong defender and talented all-around athlete. If he becomes a real threat from beyond the arc, opposing teams will definitely have their hands full trying to defend Utah’s offense.

Royce shot 35 %

Quote:
Dante Exum’s Potential. Injuries have plagued Dante Exum. He hasn’t played a full season for a very long time and it’s hard to know exactly how much of an impact Dante will have. The Jazz seem to believe that he has enough potential to warrant 3-year, $33 million contract. I don’t know how this season is going to turn out for Dante, but watching him in preseason so far it is clear that he is always one of the quickest, most explosive players on the court. If he stays healthy, Exum will add athleticism that the Jazz will need to challenge the league’s best teams.

Played a full season two years ago.

Quote:
Offensive Potential. Imagine a pick-and-roll scenario featuring Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, with Ingles and Allen camping on the perimeter for three. Donovan has the ball. If the defense switches, mismatches abound. Donovan (an amazing finisher) can blow by his guy or Rudy can cut to the rim and put back a lob that only he can pick out of the sky. If help defense ever comes from the perimeter, it creates open shots for Ingles (one of the NBA’s best 3-point shooters) or Allen (who proved he can shoot at Duke).

That should be the focus of the offense. Unfortunately it's not

Quote:
Another exciting offensive possibility for Utah is Ricky Rubio, who showed great amounts of improvement last year. He was especially good during the playoffs. If he keeps that momentum going, teams will have to start respecting him as an offensive threat. The addition of a healthy Dante Exum poses an extra challenge for teams. His speed and quickness will break down defenses and create opportunities for the Jazz to capitalize on.

35 % in the playoffs

Quote:
New Coaching Changes. It was sad to see the Jazz lose a really good assistant coach in Igor Kokoskov. Hopefully he finds success in Phoenix. Utah had a few new additions to its staff with the hiring of Fotis Katsikaris as an assistant coach and Barnett Frank as Director of Performance Science. As a fan it can be hard to know how much of an impact the coaching/training staff has, but I trust that Dennis Lindsey and Coach Snyder know what they’re doing.

I don't. Without Gobert would either still have a job?

Quote:
The Jazz will be Good. This might be the best reason to get excited for the season. The Jazz will be good, and if things go well they will be very good. I can’t wait to get this thing started!

Hard for me to get too excited about a team that settles for good
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #212
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018 pre-season!

https://thejnotes.com/2018/10/17/uta...ck-thoughts/2/

Quote:
Last season, the Utah Jazz had a bit of a turnover problem as they coughed up the ball 14.7 times per game, a mark which ranked 20th in the NBA. Since Utah entered 2018-19 with essentially the same roster as last year, there were high hopes that they’d be able to overcome some of those communication errors.

They pass the ball more than anyone. Same turnover prone guys. Expect it to change much?

Quote:
The team’s motion offense is built to create open looks from three, and with Ricky Rubio and Donovan Mitchell probing the lane and kicking it out to willing shooters, expect the Jazz to be around 33-35 threes per game this season.

That means over 20 misses a game?

Quote:
I still think the addition of Crowder in place of the erratic Rodney Hood was an excellent trade for Utah. I still believe that Crowder can be a force as a sixth man and be an incredible benefit for Utah as a gritty defender and stretch-four option. However, his shot selection simply has to improve from what we saw last year and in this year’s preseason, no ‘if’s, and’s, or but’s’ about it.

How can Exum be 6th man of the year if he's not even the 6th man?

Quote:
The big thing is going to be the shooting. This Jazz team needs shooting off the bench, and if Burks has turned a corner on his shot decision making, then it may be more difficult for Allen to get into the rotation this season.

The big thing is Allen went to Duke and Burks is the last guy Snyder wants to play

Quote:
Three years ago, Burks attempted 2.5 threes per game, which is the most he’s ever attempted. Better yet, he shot 38 percent from three that year. During the preseason, Burks attempted over four threes per game. If he can start shooting the three with more frequency and continued accuracy, it will be hard for Quin Snyder not to play him, especially with the level of shot creating ability Burks has shown in the past.

Looked like a star for a couple games last year and he benched him.

Quote:
Which Ricky Rubio will we get?

There's more than one?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: