Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation
Default Chandler the Humble

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...a_big_hit.html

Amar'e Stoudemire is credited for the Knicks turnaround, but Wilson Chandler is the forgotten man
BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 6th 2011, 4:00 AM

There is a moment during every Knicks home game when the Madison Square Garden public address announcer urges fans to vote Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Danilo Gallinari to the All-Star Game.

Wilson Chandler, arguably the team's second-best player, isn't mentioned. In fact, Pauly D of "Jersey Shore" fame got more face time on the Garden's JumboTron on Tuesday than Chandler.

"That stuff doesn't bother me," Chandler says. "If I'm not on the All-Star ballot, that's okay."

So Chandler isn't big on marketing. But what about money? Surely, he must be upset that the Knicks elected not to sign him to a contract extension two months ago. Instead of long-term security, Chandler now faces the uncertainty of possible NBA lockout this summer.

"It was a business decision," Chandler says. "I understand why they did that. It doesn't bother me."

Without saying much, Chandler says a lot. He doesn't complain - at least publicly - brag or dabble in the politics of the locker room. The only things loud about Chandler are the tattoos covering his body and his ever-improving game.

The Knicks are 20-14, and Chandler has been as responsible as anyone for the winning record. The 6-foot-8 forward is the team's most versatile player, and only Amar'e Stoudemire is more skilled. Chandler is off to the best start of his four-year career, averaging 17.9 points and shooting 49%.

Chandler was the best player on the floor during Tuesday's impressive 128-115 victory over the San Antonio Spurs. He scored 31 points on 13-for-19 shooting, adding nine rebounds and four assists as Gallinari's replacement at small forward.

In typical fashion, Chandler deflected praise from himself, saying that he got open shots because the Spurs were "focused on Amar'e" and that Felton "did a nice job of getting me the ball in spots I can score."

He is shy almost to a fault but still an ideal teammate because he'll play anywhere and guard anyone without protest.

"I know people think I don't talk but once you get to know me you'll find out that isn't the case," Chandler said. "I talk."

Chandler's breakout season comes at an ideal time for the Knicks, who remain in the hunt for Denver's Carmelo Anthony. His value is at an all-time high which makes him an important trading chip. It also could result in a huge pay day down the line for Chandler, a restricted free agent.

One executive familiar with the Knicks' talks with Denver maintains that team president Donnie Walsh isn't in a rush to make a deal because the team is playing so well.

"After all these years they finally have some momentum and their fans are excited," he said. "Do you want to mess with that?"

If it means acquiring a player of Carmelo's caliber, the Knicks would have to get involved. But if they miss out on Anthony, retaining Chandler is a pretty good consolation prize.

Chandler, of course, is one of two remaining players from the Isiah Thomas era. That may be the reason he's not being pushed for the All-Star Game. When Thomas took over in New York, he wasted no time purging the roster of players acquired by Scott Layden.

Walsh is different. He doesn't feel threatened that Chandler isn't one of his "guys" so to speak. The same is true of the other Isiah holdover, Eddy Curry. Walsh won't trade Chandler just for the sake of trading him.

If Walsh is convinced that Chandler is the long-term answer for the Knicks he'll try to re-sign him. For now, Chandler is valuable right where he is.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Chandler the Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
There is a moment during every Knicks home game when the Madison Square Garden public address announcer urges fans to vote Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Danilo Gallinari to the All-Star Game.

Wilson Chandler, arguably the team's second-best player, isn't mentioned. In fact, Pauly D of "Jersey Shore" fame got more face time on the Garden's JumboTron on Tuesday than Chandler.

"That stuff doesn't bother me," Chandler says. "If I'm not on the All-Star ballot, that's okay."

So Chandler isn't big on marketing. But what about money? Surely, he must be upset that the Knicks elected not to sign him to a contract extension two months ago. Instead of long-term security, Chandler now faces the uncertainty of possible NBA lockout this summer.

I hate not being able to vote for Wilson. He deserves to be on the list over a lot of guys who are on there.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wilson Chandler aka Ill Will aka Poker Face aka Wilson Negranu

He is what the NBA needs more of.Guys who get better every year,have NBA bodies coming out of college,play their but off and don't get overhyped when they do."Act like you been there."
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Wilson Chandler aka Ill Will aka Poker Face aka Wilson Negranu aka Will the Thrill aka Silent Assassin

fixed.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
I hate not being able to vote for Wilson. He deserves to be on the list over a lot of guys who are on there.
I agree. I think that he is one of the most underrated players in the NBA.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think he deserves more credit then most people on the team. He is so good, so improved, God. Knicks better resign him to our team!
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
foutz
Banned

foutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablefoutz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

draz
ya man he of grate playor we need of him to became of grate team
foutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #8
New York Knicks
Banned

New York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputationNew York Knicks has a very bad reputation

I've jumped on the Chandler bandwagon. He's just so smooth.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

It's good that Walsh isn't eager to get rid of him just to fully move past the Isiah Thomas era.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've became a huge fan of Wilson Chandler lately, I'd ****ing love for the Jazz to get rid of AK-47 and sign this guy next summer.

He definitely doesn't get enough credit.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

earlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this board

No one has seen this yet?

Walsh:"Wilson's a restricted free agent and I'm going to sign him," Written by BigC
It looks like good things are going to happen for Wilson Chandler this off-season. According to the New York Post Knicks president Donnie Walsh promises that he will re-sign Wilson Chanler this off-season. Here is what was reported by the New York Post:

"Wilson's a restricted free agent and I'm going to sign him," Walsh said yesterday. "He's a helluva player."
Walsh said he could not come to terms with Chandler in October because he was unsure of the pay scale or salary cap for a new collective bargaining agreement. Walsh's thoughts in October centered on wanting to re-sign Chandler yet saving room for Carmelo Anthony. Ironically, Chandler is playing like Anthony Lite. -New York Post

I have said this for a long time, the Knicks are very high on Chandler. Regardless of what rumors (Rudy Ferdnandez) have circulated the Knicks have wanted to keep Chandler. Even before this season I have heard good things about Wilson Chandler's relationship with the Knicks. At this point Chandler's value to the team has been shown by his play this year. It would only make sense that the Knicks try to re-sign Chandler. Now it is up to Donnie Walsh to find a way to re-sign Chandler and bring Carmelo Anthony to New York.
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: