Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
BIG_MIKE_27
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far
Default Upper body Weights

I'm looking for a good upper body routine for basketball.. i do VJB for lower body so im okay there.. but when it comes to upper body days i kinda just pick about 5 or six random exercises and have no real structure to it!
any advice with regard to what lifts sets reps etc?
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Upper body Weights

VJB has way too many plyo exercises. You don't need to all that is says just an FYI. It's way too hard on the body the way it's designed... at least in regaurds to plyos.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
BIG_MIKE_27
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far

yeah iv just been doing the novice weight training program with no plyos cos my strength needs the most improvement! :P
and i have practice two or three times a week and play a lot of basketball myself so i dont bother with the plyos yet!
how often would you reccomend i do the plyos when i move on to the intermediate programs or what changes should i make?
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE_27
yeah iv just been doing the novice weight training program with no plyos cos my strength needs the most improvement! :P
and i have practice two or three times a week and play a lot of basketball myself so i dont bother with the plyos yet!
how often would you reccomend i do the plyos when i move on to the intermediate programs or what changes should i make?

Plyos are often overused in America. AT MOST, plyos can be done 1-2 times per week at 3-4 sets of 10 reps total. And even that is more of an advanced trainee recommendation.

As for upper body, let the program be over all balanced. While there are areas that may need to be slightly imbalanced for injury prevention and persoanl weak areas, compounds total body lifts such as deadlifts, squats, lunges will do much more for you in the long run. Core stabilization stuff like planks, woodchoppers, etc will allow you to better fend off being pushed around in the paint. Upper body explosive stuff like push press, high pulls, DB snatches will allow you to transfer energy better and be quick and explosive off the floor.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: