Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Default Re: Allen Iverson Retires

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I wouldn't go that far .. he's deff hurt his legacy but he's still going to be a 1st ballot HOF'er and still remembered as one of the best scorers\players of all time.

No one is taking away his playing ability. He probably will get in on the first ballot, but I guarantee you he's lost at least a few votes.

Damn, he should've joined with the Boston or something. Sucks to see a great player retired.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    There was a whole era of similar players, guys who came into the league with much hype and never lived up to the expectations because, well, they didn't want to. In their eyes they were already legends. AI is the poster boy for that type of player, that lost era of basketball.
    An era that saw the likes of players such as

Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    Chauncey Billups
    Steve Nash
    Ray Allen
    Rasheed Wallace

All losers, heh?

Saw a basketball once

So, AI retires because he can't get a starting spot on any of the 30 teams in the NBA. What does that tell you? He either isn't good enough to start, or his contributions ( 3 games this season:22.3 min per game, 0.577 FG%, 12.3ppg 3.7 assists) don't help the team win. If that's the case, why would he still play?

Imagine Kobe Bryant at 34 not able to hold a starting spot. Can't compare Kobe to AI? Okay. How about Steve Nash. Not Steve Nash? Okay. How about Rafer Alston (rockets). Not Rafer Alston. Okay. How about Jason Williams (magic). Not Jason Williams?

It's really sad how AI's career in the NBA has ended. If he can still play at the highest level, he should go overseas. AI is no longer appealing to basketball fans in the States, but internationally, he could re-brand his game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Stein's take :
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...iverson-091125

I believe Marc S. feels as much as I do that AI could fit quite nicely in a reserve roll such as the Glove did and help propel teams like the Spurs, Celtics, Cav's, Orlando & Lakers to valuable minutes and collect the ring that is so important to a legacy.

But you know what : IMO if Allen wants to go out this way , by saying he will only start , then GOOD FOR HIM.

The dude played 13 years in the NBA and we all know about the awards.

What I will always remember is the gritty play - like a blue collar worker working his butt off.
    (I still believe their are 6 teams easily - that will look to possibly add him in Feburary , and as I stated before he was locked into the Grizzly's , he should bide his time , and make his services available in Feb. )

Until official retirement papers are sent to the NBA, he isn't retired.

I think we've had enough harsh words and comments about Iverson , and I think we would all be happy to talk about the active players or players coming back from injuries , like CP3 , Redd , Big Al , Love to name a few guys ..

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    That's not a bad idea at all. It could actually help Boston if AI would be kind enough to come off the bench. And I don't even like the guy and never have. But this is a good idea.

No, its a terrible idea. Only ones who would think that would work are the blind Boston homers who thought signing Marburry was a great move

Quote Originally Posted by mbell75
    No, its a terrible idea. Only ones who would think that would work are the blind Boston homers who thought signing Marburry was a great move
    I think most of the Celtics fans were saying it is a low risk high reward type deal. Seeing as if Marbury made any trouble they could easily get rid of him the same thing would be true with AI.

Decent college freshman

Undoubtedly one of the top players in the history of our game. Will dearly be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by nbastatus
    Damn, he should've joined with the Boston or something. Sucks to see a great player retired.
    And to retire like this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    And to retire like this too.
    Yep. He will always be remembered, at least to some..

There's no way Iverson is gonna go out like this....Iverson is gonna be on a team looking to make a run towards the playoffs.

Very good NBA starter

probably the greatest 6ft or under basketball player ever. he owned a lot of trees.

AI doesn't deserve all the hate. I feel this is not the last of AI, he's just too good right now to retire. He is still a Top 10 SG in the league and he doesn't deserve the kind of treatment he has been getting. Hopefully he reconsiders and we see him win a ring proper with the Celtics this year.

Banned

The only thing I don't like about this is that the news first came out of SAS' mouth. Other than that, until he officially retires, I still love to see him, for the first time in his career, throw his ego away and at least join a contending team. Ending his career like this will ruin his legacy forever.......

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Sad that he's going out this way.....

But what can you do. If he's not willing to not put himself and his stats first, its really hard to have pity for him..