Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Any Skateboarder/Longboarders here?

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    look if you live in a cold place then you are doing yourself a disservice to not pickup a winter sport bro

i dont understand most people with this " i got a job" so i had to quit doing "xyz" you could have still skated if yo wanted to, stop searching for excuses....I know army personnel that still skate when they come home so if they can do idk who you guys are fooling. never let your employment dictate the rest of your life, especially if you aren't working for yourself.

You aren't going to be on your death bed, or sitting with your kids/grandkids eagerly anticipating them asking about those extra hours at the office every day that made you give up all your hobbies. You gotta find time to find something fun that will destress you and keep you healthy ish family.
    Some people have to be worried about injury/insurance/employment. Personally, soccer destroyed my knees and I work in the field so I have to be real careful about what activities I participate in.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Skating was my life when I was younger. When I got a job and finished school though I didn't have as much free time and lost touch with most of the crew I used to skate with. Used to be pretty good back in the day doing rails and shit, last time I skated was when a guy at work had his deck here and I can still do some basic stuff but everything felt so off balance.

Same here, before i got heavy into ball i skated 4 hours a day about 5 days a week with my little crew. Then jobs girls life happened and everyone grew out of it. I messes around on one a few weeks back and was just happy stick the saddest variel flip ever

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I used to be a skater when I was young, used hang out at skate parks, I built several launch ramps and even a quarter pipe ramp. That was like from 3rd grade to 8th grade.

I was "decent"...my talent stopped at the half pipe, where I would have to gather all the balls I had just to drop in, and then after that could not make it to the coping on the other side. One of my friends had a mini-ramp like this:

I could hang on that for the most part, but a legit half-pipe ramp was too much for me. I was decent on launch ramps though, could do jumps that required a kick (judo-kick, frigid-kick)

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    PG, how the hell you get those 2 paragraphs out of my two lines? Not even related either.
    it wasnt even directed at you

But DMV2 man you should try ice skating, take some classes and swallow your pride bruh... it's always a good thing to try new things and explore what you can and can't do. Learning a new skill is definitely a humbling process and just goes to show you how much time is invested just to make things look "easy".

I should have made the separation more clear. It's just a depressing that I see when people "grow up" we are so obsessed with our careers and making money that almost anything that doesn't fit the objective is met with" I don't have time because I work so much". It's just annoying.

As for Deuce, you're right there are extenuating circumstances that I should have considered, but when i was in the corporate world....all i was surrounded by were some f*cking stiffs. All they did was work, hit the gym(if that, and the only thing they did at the gym was lift weights, no yoga, no basketball, no squash, swimming, or anything remotely interesting) and then hit the bars on occasional nights in hopes of getting lucky. I was embarrassed to be associated with them tbh.

Idk lately I'm just finding almost everyone i meet is devoid of passion and their idea of fun is just bleh.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    it wasnt even directed at you

But DMV2 man you should try ice skating, take some classes and swallow your pride bruh... it's always a good thing to try new things and explore what you can and can't do. Learning a new skill is definitely a humbling process and just goes to show you how much time is invested just to make things look "easy".

I should have made the separation more clear. It's just a depressing that I see when people "grow up" we are so obsessed with our careers and making money that almost anything that doesn't fit the objective is met with" I don't have time because I work so much". It's just annoying.

As for Deuce, you're right there are extenuating circumstances that I should have considered, but when i was in the corporate world....all i was surrounded by were some f*cking stiffs. All they did was work, hit the gym(if that, and the only thing they did at the gym was lift weights, no yoga, no basketball, no squash, swimming, or anything remotely interesting) and then hit the bars on occasional nights in hopes of getting lucky. I was embarrassed to be associated with them tbh.

Idk lately I'm just finding almost everyone i meet is devoid of passion and their idea of fun is just bleh.
    For me it wasn't a case of "i'm grown up and focused on a job" as it was that I was working a couple of week nights and sundays to pay off my car and playing basketball on saturdays. Add in that shortly after I left school and started going to TAFE (like university) and started playing proper gigs with my band at the time and skating took a back seat. It's not usually just someone getting a job and giving up what they used to do it's usually that they've moved into other social circles and taken up other interests. I have a friend who annoys me when he says how much he loves a game\tv show but always goes on about how he doesn't have time to play\watch it and how he's so busy then he proceeds to tell me how he spent the entire weekend watching some other shitty show yet doesn't realise he had plenty of time to do the other things he says he doesn't have time to do but just chose a different activity to do in that time.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I try to go snow skiing once a year, it is like riding a bike, you can leave it alone for a few years and jump right back where you left off after a day or two. And it is fun as fck, I can ski all day every day and never get bored.

I've been skiing in Tahoe several times, New Mexico a couple times as well.

want to try Aspen Col this coming winter

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Some people have to be worried about injury/insurance/employment. Personally, soccer destroyed my knees and I work in the field so I have to be real careful about what activities I participate in.
    This.

If I don't go to work, I don't get paid (much). And I can't go to work if I'm hurt. This doesn't stop me from playing shinny hockey, being out on the ice, etc, but I do refrain from learning to ski or snowboard (a couple things I would like to do) because if I get hurt I'd just be saying goodbye to way too much money.

And skating isn't nearly as hard as you might think. Of course I was pretty much born with skates on, so I may be biased, but if you have basic athletic coordination you can catch on fairly quick.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 06-04-2014 at 10:30 PM.